View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Advice needed on PGM300 
is evil...Evil Joe

Post Advice needed on PGM300
Hi all! I just got meself a used PGM300 :lol: Looks beautiful, sounds AWESOME, until.....i tried a few bomb dives with the whammy. THE STRINGS ALL WENT OUT OF TUNE!! I was shocked. I thought the trem on the PGM300 was supposed to be quite a good one(btw mine's 03' model), so i was wondering, wth is wrong with it?? Does anybody else's PGM300 face any similiar problem? Can someone give any advice on this? :cry:

Thu May 26, 2005 5:47 pm
God Of The Sun

Check this out:
http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm

Thu May 26, 2005 5:50 pm
Viking Kong

Definately check that the trem is setup right, and make sure the strings are properly stretched.

If it is setup fine ,and the strings are stretched it shouldstay in tune very well.

Thu May 26, 2005 6:22 pm
Viking Kong

Like Anders said, give those strings a good stretch. Most peoples problems with locking trems are from unstretched strings.

Since your guitar is an 03, you've got the edge pro trem and non locking studs. These units are NOT like the older Edge and Lo Pro edge equiped guitars that have locking studs. There is a locking stud mod you can get for the guitar that takes care of non locking studs. If stretching the strings out really well doesn't fix the problem you should look into to getting the studs. That still doesn't address the questionable material of the edge poor but that's another thing all together.

What really pisses me off is Ibanez, in all their infinate brilliance, changed the damn position of the tremolo when they switched to this turd. You used to be able to swap an original Edge, or Lo Pro Edge right into basicly any 5xx series and up guitar. NOW, you're stuck with this thing unless you want to have some serious work done to your guitar. No tremolo equiped Ibanez guitars for me after 02 models, and no models after 04. They can take their shiny new tremolos, and their re profiled necks and shove them. --Jason

Thu May 26, 2005 6:23 pm
God Of The Sun

2 things I always check:
Stretched strings
Sharp knife edges

Thu May 26, 2005 6:24 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

Many many thanks to you guys!! Ermm sharp knife edges?? i seem to be missing something here.. actually i'm a non-trem user all along until this pgm300 so i know nuts about it. :?

But it seems to me that this edge-pro seemed to be edge 'poor' in jason's view..why is that so? Pardon me for my ignorance, but what's so wrong with this model, and as jason mentioned, why no trem ibanez after 02' and after 04' for him ?? :?

Fri May 27, 2005 3:23 pm
God Of The Sun

but if you got the pgm300 for a bargin
its definitely worth it :lol:
and welcome to the board dude
congradulations on the guitar

Fri May 27, 2005 3:29 pm
Profile ICQ
Viking Kong

Many many thanks to you guys!! Ermm sharp knife edges?? i seem to be missing something here.. actually i'm a non-trem user all along until this pgm300 so i know nuts about it. :?

But it seems to me that this edge-pro seemed to be edge 'poor' in jason's view..why is that so? Pardon me for my ignorance, but what's so wrong with this model, and as jason mentioned, why no trem ibanez after 02' and after 04' for him ?? :?

Well, I personally don't like these new tremolos. For me it's a matter of the materials and quality of the unit. Ibanez quit using the locking studs in 03' as well. Another step backwards. Ibanez changed to these tremolos in 03', all the previous 86'-02' mid, high, and signature model guitars used the Edge or Lo Pro Edge with locking studs. A FAR superior unit and set up in my opinion. That's why I said I wouldn't want any 03' or newer tremolo equiped Ibanez.

For 05' Ibanez changed the neck profile of a lot of models. The PGM being one of them. The original Wizard profile is gone. The new necks are thicker and wider. The Wizard profile is what I'm used to, and what I like. The new necks feel weird to me. That's why I said no 05' and newer Ibanez. That is unless they start using the old profile again. Which probably won't happen.

With some tweaking you should be able to get your guitar in good playing form. It's not that there is anything wrong with the guitar, you'll probably just have a little more time getting it set up to play the way you want it to. --Jason

Fri May 27, 2005 4:19 pm
God Of The Sun

MANY people feel the same as you do (Jason). I would even say some of their signature artists.

Back in 02, the molds were fairly worn after so many trems being made. New molds had to be made and instead of remaking the the tried and true LoPros, they went with a totally new design. Also, I think this new design allowed them to go away from the Floyd Rose patent?

Knife egdes are the point of contact where the actual trem base meets the trem post. Should be all explained in Rich's setup.

Fri May 27, 2005 4:29 pm
Superhero

or block the tremolo with a bit of wood so it becomes a fixed bridge! (and stop using the nut locks)
:D

old fan since 1986.
see ya

Fri May 27, 2005 5:09 pm
Viking Kong

MANY people feel the same as you do (Jason). I would even say some of their signature artists.

Back in 02, the molds were fairly worn after so many trems being made. New molds had to be made and instead of remaking the the tried and true LoPros, they went with a totally new design. Also, I think this new design allowed them to go away from the Floyd Rose patent?

Well, I can understand the making new molds. For the sake of quality.(HOW IRONIC IS THAT!) Ibanez thought they were getting away from the Floyd patent, but they weren't. The patent doesn't run out on the Low profile design until 2007. Aparently no one at Ibanez thought to check that out and they went full steam ahead making the new tremolo. Well, they got fined $250,000 and still have to pay $17 per edge pro and edge pro II.
Now Ibanez has the patent on the original Edge, but rather than make new molds for it, what do they do? They come up with another turd, the edge III!! Now they have three new tremolos, that won't interchange with each other. That means 3 new molds, and 3 different body routings, and still no locking studs!. Now, I'm not business major, or financial genius, BUT where's the logic i this??? Wouldn't it have made a hell of a lot more sence to just make ONE new mold and put Original Edge tremolos on everything until the patent runs out on the low profile design. Then they could have had the Edge and Low Pro Edge tremolos and not paid a penny in patent fees. That $17 per edge pro, and $250,000 fine would have bought an aweful lot of locking studs. --Jason

Fri May 27, 2005 5:17 pm
God Of The Sun

I've heard an army of people say almost exactly what you just said.

Fri May 27, 2005 8:00 pm
Viking Kong

Have you noticed the prices for used RG's lately? You can't tell me it's just a coincidence that the prices and demand for these guitars are going through the roof.

It actually makes me sick to see Ibanez going down this road. Everything that brought me to the brand is now gone. Wizard Neck? Gone. Edge and Lo Pro Edge tremolos? Gone. Locking studs? Gone. Maple fingerboards on anything now but the PGM301? Nope, gone. (In the US anyway.) An affordable, reliable, high quality made in Japan instrument at a reasonable price? Gone. This is what happens when good people at the top of the Ibanez management food chain, who actually care about the product, get fired or are forced out. It's just sad. --Jason

Fri May 27, 2005 9:17 pm
Viking Kong

Have you noticed the prices for used RG's lately? You can't tell me it's just a coincidence that the prices and demand for these guitars are going through the roof.

It actually makes me sick to see Ibanez going down this road. Everything that brought me to the brand is now gone. Wizard Neck? Gone. Edge and Lo Pro Edge tremolos? Gone. Locking studs? Gone. Maple fingerboards on anything now but the PGM301? Nope, gone. (In the US anyway.) An affordable, reliable, high quality made in Japan instrument at a reasonable price? Gone. This is what happens when good people at the top of the Ibanez management food chain, who actually care about the product, get fired or are forced out. It's just sad. --Jason

this is what happens when the mainstreem punk rockers start caring about "cool" looking guitars rather than the playablity or the tone.

it affects the business. corrupts the world. money talks.

Sat May 28, 2005 5:12 am
Viking Kong

this is what happens when the mainstreem punk rockers start caring about "cool" looking guitars rather than the playablity or the tone.

it affects the business. corrupts the world. money talks.

I think it's more a case of people finally figuring out that newer isn't necessarily better. --Jason

Sat May 28, 2005 3:24 pm
Dr. X

Sorry to deviate from the topic , but what are locking studs? Where are they on the guitar?

Sat May 28, 2005 5:49 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

Wow. That's a lot of stuff i've been missing out while on a hardtail guitar..the only experience i had with a trem was a buddy's rg550 (98' model). I guess his is the good one and that is why i was stunned when the pgm trem didn't hold up as well as i thought it would be, given this to be a signature model! :shock:

just checked out the setup pg by Rich, very informative. Many thanks once again to EKG and jason for all the nuggets of info :)

oh yea, btw i thought of lowing the action of the pgm, any advice on how low can i go or wat is the optimal height i shd set it at??

Sat May 28, 2005 7:17 pm
God Of The Sun

Grasshopper.....you haven't read the complete setup yet, have you? :wink:

Sat May 28, 2005 9:10 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

I completely agree with Jason on the Edge Pro. I very briefly owned a 2004 JS1000, and I couldn't stand that trem. It felt wrong, and had kind of a hollow tone, if that makes any sense. I think it had something to do with all of the open space underneath the saddles now, versus how solid the Edges were. Anyway, I traded that in as a down payment on a '74 Les Paul Custom, which made me much happier.

Back to the point though, I own several Edge equipped Ibanez's (no LoPro's for me, I have a problem with the location of the saddle lock screws and my fat hands), and they are all great, they stay in tune religiously - after the strings are strectched, of course. The original Edge is by far the bast feeling trem I've ever played, as much as I love original Floyds, these are better.

My $.02 on trems... keep the change.

Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:46 pm
Promises to use Search button

hi guys i just bought a rg 2570e and it comes with an edge pro trem and the 5pc neck.am i doomed?any idea how this guitar is?it has not reached me yet..

abrar

Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]