View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Question For anybody who has bought a PGM 
Motorman

Post Question For anybody who has bought a PGM
I have a slight problem. I want to buy a PGM that is in california and I live just above the Canadian border. I was thinking it would be cheapest to get it shipped to a city just below the border (a friend of mine has a PO box account open he said I could use) and then just drive down there, pick it up and drive back.

Here's the problem, the stupid ass border makes you pay a tax on the item and this tax is looking like $300 canadian (I looked on the website)! I really don't want to pay that 300 dollars. I can't hide it in the car because they are pretty much checking every car pretty carefully now a days. A friend of mine said to say I picked it up as a gift but there is a rule that you have to stay in the states for at least 2 days if its a gift before you don't have to pay taxes on it. If I get it shipped straight to where I live, I'll be taxed for sure.

Has anybody had this problem and found a way around it!? I'm dying here!

Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:47 am
Viking Kong

First off, make sure it can be shipped to a PO box. A lot of places won't. If it can't, worring about how to get around the tax is a moot point.

Does you car get checked as you're leaving Canada and something like a list of contents get taken? If not, why not just say you brought it with you from home on your visit to the states? --Jason

Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:39 am
is evil...Evil Joe

How would they know you didn't have it with you when you crossed the first time? Just say it was yours and you brought it to have it fixed at a store or whatnot.

Or, if they somehow inventory you, buy a cheap guitar for 50 bucks, bring that with you, dump it at a pawn shop or whatever, and bring the PGM back. Chances are if they did happen to write down what you left with (although I don't see why they would), to them a guitar is a guitar.

It's a shame how the Canada-US border has become so insanely protective, idiotic terrorists. It used to be so easy to go back and forth.

Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:40 am
is evil...Evil Joe

Dammit, Jason beat me to my comment :wink:

Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:41 am
Motorman

Haha thanks for the advice guys. Yeah they do take a list now of what you have taken across the border.

I may try the cheap guitar thing, but what if they like white down that it is blue and pink. I also found out that if I get caught trying to fool them, it will be confascated and it to get it back, I will have to pay around 50% of the actual price!

Keep suggesting, I'll take all the help I can!

Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:52 am
Viking Kong

Dammit, Jason beat me to my comment :wink:

Great minds think alike Dave, I was just a little quicker on the trigger this time! :twisted:

I'd suggest finding out how precise the customs agents are when they take inventory of what you take across the border. I'd say be as vague as possbile. I'd really be surprised if it was written down any more detailed than "electric guitar" BUT, I'd check to be sure.

I think if you do like Dave suggested and just take a beater guitar with you, then pull the old switch-a-roo to bring the PGM home, there wouldn't be a problem. You could even spray bomb it metallic blue and paint pink F-holes on it if it would make you feel better.

Oh, and if this thread had background music, It'd be the theme from mission impossible! :lol: --Jason

Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:39 am
Motorman

Oh, and if this thread had background music, It'd be the theme from mission impossible!

LMAO!!! That made me laugh in real life.

Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:12 am
is evil...Evil Joe

Great minds think alike Dave, I was just a little quicker on the trigger this time! :twisted:

Yeah, but it was 1 minute! If I wasn't so typically long winded on my post... :oops:

I agree with Jason, you could even do a test run and see what exactly they mark down (well, depending on how convenient it is to the border and all). Then you'll know for sure.

Another goofy option is if you have an American friend who can get it for you and bring it up with him. Then, if they go through his inventory on the way back, he can just say it was stolen or something like that. Hell, if I lived anywhere up near you, I'd do that for you, but I think Chicago is a ways away from where you are.

On a side note, I'm always amazed at how much others get taxed when I ship out of the country. I bought my PGM100 from Mae last December, and I didn't get tagged at all, not as far as I know anyway. It's ridiculous, it's not like the sales tax is 50%, so why do they end up basically taking that much? We're not doing massive imports of goods from another country here, it's a single guitar.

Anyway, I'll get off my political soap box now. :x

Dave

Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:45 pm
Superhero

do it legally, then you won't get caught! too much stress for a guitar.

old fan since 1986.
see ya

Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:59 pm
Motorman

Thanks gpenguins but I live just south of Vancouver so I'm on the west coast and that would be a far drive hah. I'm getting it shipped to Blaine Washinton.

I could do it legally but I could save like 300 bucks doing it the illegal way. Plus theres no fun in doing it the LEGAL way...

Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:08 pm
God Of The Sun

man i got charged like 300aud for quarantine and customs
and 300 for shipping and delivery
it was crazy
what my guitar teacher does when he goes to the states is
bring like the cheapest piece of guitar you can get like a 50buck one
put it in a nice case
and when your checking out it'll be counted as 'one piece of musical instrument'
and when you bring it back
just get like a mad ass guitar and then chuck the old one away
and come back with 'one piece of musicl instrument'
haha never tried it before but since my etacher told me
i believe him :wink:

Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:06 pm
Profile ICQ
is evil...Evil Joe

Plus theres no fun in doing it the LEGAL way...

Isn't that usually the way it goes...

Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:33 pm
Viking Kong

Is there any update on your situation? --Jason

Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:37 am
Motorman

Well here's an update. After carefull thought, I decided to go and do it the legal way. It is under a friend's PO box in the states so if anything goes wrong, he will get the blame so I can't do that to him. I would do it if it were mine though.

A good suggestion somebody told me was to ask the sender to send 2 receipts. One for the actual guitar, and another that says something like RG550 Blue/Pink have the price at like 300 or so. That way the tax will be much much less.

I just won a PGM100 on ebay and it's being shipped thursday! I am in love with the colour and the case it is coming in. This will be my first time ever playing or touching a PGM guitar I'm thrilled! Thanks to EKG for all his help!

Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:57 am
Viking Kong

While I have to admit I am slightly disappointed that you are going to do things the legal way, I can understand why. :lol:

I would for sure try and get a second recipt though. At least that way you're not getting completely raped at customs.

Just keep us informed. :) --Jason

Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]