View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 5 piece neck on 05 PGMs 
Viking Kong

Post 5 piece neck on 05 PGMs
Have any of you guys noticed a different feel to the new 05 necks compared to the 3 piece necks? I thought the specs were susposed to be the same, but I swear there is something different. Profile, radius, something doesn't feel right. I noticed the same thing on a new RGA too. I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed this? --Jason

Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:55 pm
Search Button God!

(my first post :) )

I've never played a PGM (they don't exist in this country :( ). Are the new 05 necks better (compared to the older ones) or worse?

(forgive me my english :oops: )

Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:10 pm
God Of The Sun

I haven't played one yet. Could it be the the wood itself? I know the necks with the bubinga stripe down the center feel different to me.

Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:36 pm
Viking Kong

I haven't played one yet. Could it be the the wood itself? I know the necks with the bubinga stripe down the center feel different to me.

That's an interesting idea about the wood itself. The two walnut strips are soo narrow though, I don't see how that could be it. I agree that the the bubinga striped necks have a little different feel, but that's a substantial piece of material on them. It's possible though. You'd almost have to have two guitars side by side to really compare. The fact that Ibanez changed the profile of the Jem necks this year makes me wonder if they've been messing with all the neck profiles. --Jason

Sat Apr 16, 2005 3:05 pm
God Of The Sun

yeah there are so many 5 pieces this year now
i wonder if its cheaper for them to make...

Sat Apr 16, 2005 3:20 pm
Profile ICQ
God Of The Sun

I don't think it's cheaper. I know it makes them stronger, so then they don't have to do the scarf joint.....use a small volute.

I wonder....are they having them made in a different factory now? Same CNC code or re-written?

Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:34 pm
Viking Kong

I looked around quite a bit today and didn't really find anything out about the specs on any of the new necks. I checked at my local store, and there's no specs at all in the new catalog. All the Ibanez website says is that the PGM neck is 2mm thicker than the wizard. I could have swore they used to have the dimensions and fretboard radius of their necks listed with each particular guitar. --Jason

Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:22 am
God Of The Sun

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/japan/products/ ... 1_WH.html#

Click on Neck Dimension...bottom right

Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:46 am
Viking Kong

Thanks Eddie. I may be on to something. According to their information the 05 RGA, PGM301, and Jem all have the same width, thickness and fretboard radius. The thickness at the first fret is 18mm, 1mm thicker than the Wizard. I don't think that's what I'm noticing though. Here's where I think the difference is that's bugging me. The new necks are 58mm wide at the last fret instead of 56mm wide like the Wizard. Do you think that extra width could be the issue? I wonder if they tweaked the string spacing slightly too? --Jason

Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:01 am
is evil...Evil Joe

whats the difference with 5 piece and 3 piece neck anyway?

Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:31 am
God Of The Sun

Any variance in the size of the neck, you will notice. You might think that 2 or even 1 mm isn't much, but it sure can be. Especially the more skilled you are. I wonder if the Edge Pro has a wider spacing than the Edge/LoPro?

Also, I notice that it is 18 mm at 1st and 20 mm at 12th....is this also different? Maybe less tapering from heel to headstock? Even if the dims are the same, is the shape (profile) different?

The difference between a 3 pc and 5 pc neck is just that. A 3 pc is 3 pieces of woof sandwiched together giving a single stripe down the middle. A 5 pc neck is 5 pieces giving 2 stripes down the middle.

Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:15 pm
Viking Kong

I double checked my numbers this morning, the original Wizard is also 20mm thick at the 12 fret. That extra width has got to be what I'm noticing. I'm sure a person could get used to playing it, BUT that means all the Wizard profiled guitars you have would feel strange! I'm actually relieved I did find a difference. At least I'm not crazy! I think I'm the only one so far that has posted anything about this difference. Maybe the 05's haven't made it into peoples hands yet, or maybe I'm just super picky. I think when I get a 301 I'll just stick with an older 3 piece neck model.

It wouldn't surprise me if they changed the necks because of those new edge pro tremolos. That's just one more reason for me to hate them. That would explain why the change happened on the Jem too. I guess it's just one more debacle those tremolos have caused. I think that losing the locking studs and discontinuing the Edge and Lo Pro Edge tremolos will go down as one of the biggest mistakes Ibanez will ever make.

Man I'm glad I play hardtails now!! :twisted: --Jason

Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:07 pm
God Of The Sun

I think that losing the locking studs and discontinuing the Edge and Lo Pro Edge tremolos will go down as one of the biggest mistakes Ibanez will ever make.

Man I'm glad I play hardtails now!! :twisted: --Jason

Amen and Amen. Not that the new trems are bad, but I think the Edge and LoPro were perfect along with the locking studs....and like a lot of people are doing....going to hardtails (goes in cycles....trem playing will be big again ;-))

Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:11 am
Viking Kong

I'm afraid when whammy comes back around, Ibanez is really going to regret their tremolo choice. Hardcore tremolo guys WILL NOT put up with a unit that isn't stable. (What do Vai and Satriani still have on their guitars?) I don't trust the materials. I had bought a brand new RG1570 in 2003, and it was a nightmare. Three of the inserts were pressed in crooked, and on the very first string change one of the saddles grenaded. I've have Edge or Lo Pro Edge equiped guitars every since I started playing, and I'd never had a problem with any of them. I want nothing to do with a tremolo unit that has plastic integrated into it, period. I think that the new tremolo is in part what's driving up prices of used RG's. Guys are scared of the new stuff, and are stocking up on second guitars, and parts to keep their guitars in service.

Rich's stud mod is a real savior for the guys that are buying them now, but It's a fix that shouldn't have to be done. ESPECIALLY on a brand new guitar. It's like buying a new car that the hood flies up on because of a design flaw with the latch. The company knows of the problem, but doesn't choose to fix it. Leaving it up to the individual to deal with it.

The new tremolo may not have anything to do with the necks being changed, but if it did, that's just pathetic. It's all these little things that will drive guys away from Ibanez and to another brand. --Jason

Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:58 am
God Of The Sun

Perhaps these reasons and the direction that Ibanez was/is going is the reason JD left?

Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:16 pm
Viking Kong

Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:40 pm
Godzilla

I certainly noticed a difference on this year's model than the one I played last year. Feels quite.......weird........ :lol:

Maybe that's just me. Being a Jem owner and all. :lol:

Mon May 02, 2005 3:18 pm
God Of The Sun

I certainly noticed a difference on this year's model than the one I played last year. Feels quite.......weird........ :lol:

oh so the feel of the neck is different?
or the sounds that come out?

Mon May 02, 2005 4:18 pm
Profile ICQ
Godzilla

GeorgeV wrote:

oh so the feel of the neck is different?
or the sounds that come out?

Well I thought it sounded a little fuller than the 2004 model, but that's just my opinion. The neck feels a little bigger, but that also may be because I'm a Jem owner, the PGM neck being a little bigger than the Jem's neck. :?

Mon May 02, 2005 5:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]