View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 PGM301 Pickups 
God Of The Sun

Post PGM301 Pickups
Hi guys i am new here just registered today cause i finally got my hands on my first ibanez guitar, the PGM301. I got it for 900US new with case from US but since i live in Australia, Fed Ex charged me like 450US for all the shipping and customs and stuff, so i ended up paying like 1800AUD for everything.

Anyways
i was just trying the guitar today, the maple neck and fretboards are just awsome, but to me the Dimarzio Pro Pafs sounds so much louder than the Dimarzio Jem single coil in the middle. I was wondering if its like this with all models? if so is there anyway i could adjust it so the output sound would be more consistent when i am switiching between pickups.

Also i have a Zoom multi effects 707II but haven't found the right settings to get that 'paul gilbert' sound that i love:P
but overall i am just glad i finally got this guitar i am sure with a few adjustments it'll rock like crazy!

thanks guys for helping :)

Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:35 am
Profile ICQ
God Of The Sun

Check the pickup height. Single are typically quieter, but I've never really had that much difference.

As for the Zoom...just keep tweeking and dialing in, I guess ;-)

Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:49 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

I just got a 301 in mint condition - the one typhoon had listed here a few weeks back. I totally agree that the feel of it is unbelievable. I didn't think anything would ever feel better than my 500, but this 301 is sweet. In fact, I had my brother-in-law take care of doing the trade for me in person since he lives near typhoon, and I didn't think he was ever going to ship the guitar up to me, because he really dug it.

My thoughts about the pickups are not that they are too loud, I pretty much don't use the middle one anyway, but that the PAF Pros are way to nasal sounding, for lack of a better term, especially the neck one. My 30 and 100 both have PAF Pros in the neck, and sound pretty good, so maybe it's the maple board combined with the hardtail on basswood, but I don't like it.

So, I'm probably going to take the Tone Zone out of my 30 that I just bought a few months ago and put it in the bridge, then go for something a little different in the neck, like an Air Norton or a Duncan Jazz instead of the ol' PG standby Humbucker From Hell.

Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:18 pm
God Of The Sun

The maple board will definitely make it brighter sounding. Everyone that gets a 301 loves it.....I'm gonna have to get one.

Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:42 pm
God Of The Sun

yeah i was expecting customes to charge me a lot but not THAT much, but in australia if i was to get a new pgm301 from the stores it would cost around 2600AUD.
i picked the pgm301 in the first place instead of the pgm500 was mainly due to the neck, cause i never had maple fretboard before and it turned out great, but yeah to all those australians out there Fed Ex likes to screw you over for ages with quarenten inspection and customs delays, so when buying guitars better leave a HUGE amount of extra money handy, as i am dead broke now!!! my other friend brought a ibanez universe 7 string on ebay for 2000US, and just Customs alone charged him 420US :shock:

and yeah back to the guitar i found the PAF pros a bit nasel as well
its cause it think unlike my other guitars
i think with the pgm301 i don't need to turn presence on my amp high, cause the guitar itself sounds like it has higher presence compared to my other guitars
correct me if i am wrong:P
i am still trying to figure out getting the pgm sounding more deep and heavy haha mine still sounds really trangy :wink:

Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:14 am
Profile ICQ
is evil...Evil Joe

Post PAF pro
I didn't care for the PAF pro pickups in my PGM301 when I first got it.

I put 11's on it and tuned it down CGCFAD and now I love it.

It just takes some getting used to.

Actually, now I love the sharpness and definition.

Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:00 am
Superhero

Well if you want Paul Gilberts sound better get a Laney amp.

Secret to Pauls Tone.

Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:37 am
Profile YIM
Viking Kong

I've had PAF Pro's in a couple guitars before, but never in one with a maple fingerboard. The maple would definitely brighten up the sound. I think I'd still lean toward replacing it with a Tone Zone though.

I wish you guys would stop bragging up the 301! I had all but decided that my next purchase would be a PGM500, but the more everyone says how much they like them is really making me reconsider my decision. I don't like the white, but I've got a SERIOUS maple fingerboard fetish. --Jason

Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:39 am
God Of The Sun

Well if you want Paul Gilberts sound better get a Laney amp.

Secret to Pauls Tone.

yeah i think i need one too only using a crappy 15w fender amp now need something with more punch :wink:
just been playing scarified all day
i don't think i will ever get sick of my pgm :lol: :lol: :lol:

seeing so many ppl here collecting pgms makes me want to join in the fun and buy them all too!!!
hopefully by the time i save up again (which will take forever) some of the rarer models wont be extinct:P
good work guys i am starting to love this forum :P

Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:15 pm
Profile ICQ
is evil...Evil Joe

yeah i think i need one too only using a crappy 15w fender amp now need something with more punch :wink:

Hey, maybe that's my problem, too :lol: I have a GK 250ML that I love and a 4x10 cab, I just can't play them in my apartment... :cry:

Jason - I got me a sweet deal on that 301, you wouldn't believe what I traded for it , I was very happy with the deal :D

And, hey, you're the one with the 800. Of course if you wanted to trade... :D

Oh, also, I've had a PAFPro in my RG550 from way back in the day, right after I bought it in 1988 - with maple board. It sounds a lot better than it does in the 301, so I'm thinking the direct mount and fixed bridge are bringing the body properties out a little more. Or, maybe Dimarazio makes them a little different now than 16 or 17 years ago, too...

Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:55 am
Viking Kong

I'd say you're right about the older pickups being a little different than the new ones. There's got to be changes in material over the years. Also them being direct mounted and in a hardtail makes a big difference too.

I had just bought a new set of tires and wheels for my Mustang when the guy posted that 301 for sale on here last month. If hadn't already spent that money, I would have probably bought it. It was the best price I've seen on one yet. I still fought the urge. Believe me, it wasn't easy!

Trade my 800? Nah, I think I'll just hold onto it for a while! :D I just love that guitar. It's absolutely the best playing and sounding guitar I've ever had my hands on. It put's my USRG's and Les Paul to shame. I can't explain it, it's just a magical combination. As much as I love maple boards, I think that guitar needs rosewood. I think Maple would brighten up the sound too much. Why mess with perfection? :wink: --Jason

Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:18 am
is evil...Evil Joe

I don't know that I'd want to trade the 301 anyway, but I figured I'd tempt you a little :D I'm kind of getting the same thing on the maple. I really love the Ibanez maple boards on my RGs, but rosewood or ebony seem like they would be best on PGMs - not saying that I don't like my 301, I"m just saying ...

I'm pretty sure I'm going to rob my PGM30 of the Tone Zone I just bought for it for the bridge on the 301, but I"m not too sure about the neck yet. I love the HFH in the 500, but I may want to do something different, not sure what yet, though. Although then maybe I'll start looking at dumping the 30, too. I like it, but I've got to start thinning out the collection a bit, I think, and I never even touch it since I've gotten the 500 and 100.

Jason - Check your PM

Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]