View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 PGM 30 any good 
is evil...Evil Joe

Post PGM 30 any good
Hey fellas, since PGMs generally are pretty rare here in Germany I'm watching the one on ebay like a buzzard. Fact is, I don't know if a '30 is actually the dream instrument. I've been looking for a decent PGM to a decent price for the last 2 years or so and since I'm only a student (who does make music but also has other expensive hobbies...), I'm a bit strapped for cash. The bottom line is: if I sell one guitar that I've built from parts myself and my small amp (Hughes & Kettner 40 Watt Combo) to the boy who has it for practice right now and get the rest of the money some guy owes me from a recent gig I could buy it without my bank account going to zero totally, but I'd still be broke as hell. I also own a 1990 ESP Custom that I bought first hand, it's got OBL 500 pickups and is a real player. I'd probably part with it for the PGM if I was sure that the PGM was at least as good (and perhaps I'd even make a few bucks out of a deal like that).

What do you guys recommend?

so long
ace

Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:37 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Viking Kong

You'd probably be happier saving your money and buying a higher end PGM. The 30's are an OK beginner guitar, but the tremolo's are pretty junky, and the pickups aren't the greatest. The rest of the line is more expensive, but worth every penny. --Jason

Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:32 pm
God Of The Sun

I recently sold my PGM30 for almost nuthin
and if you can find one really cheap I think it´s
well worth it.

I think if you convert a PGM30 to a hardtail
like Paul did with his PGM300, you have a brilliant guitar.
And if you then upgrade the pups you have a f****ing
rockin guitar!

Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:18 pm
Viking Kong

If you could get the 30 cheap enough, I say go ahead and buy it. Block the tremolo, get some good pickups, and it'll be a decent guitar.
Here's the only problem I see with modifing a 30. By the time you figure the woodwork, refinishing, hardware, pickups, and cost of the guitar, you'll have as much, if not more money in it as you would a higher end model. Another downside is if you ever HAD to get rid of it, you won't get nearly as much money out of it as what you have invested. An upper end model will hold it's value much better. --Jason

Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:27 pm
Viking Kong

Well if you install the hardtail the way Paul did on the Telesavalas and
his PGM300 there´s no need to repaint or anything.
Maybe not as pretty as a total refinished job but it works, and if
Paul did it...wot could be cooler... :wink:
A very cheap and effective mod...

Now you actually have me thinking of doing this to my PGM 30 project. I really prefer hardtails to trems. Since mines not stock right now I am more than willing to modify it.

Or maybe I will try it on my RG project first. I'm already refinishing that guitar so if it works out good I may try it on the PGM.

Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:09 pm
Motorman

AndersPGM wrote:
Well if you install the hardtail the way Paul did on the Telesavalas and
his PGM300 there´s no need to repaint or anything.
Maybe not as pretty as a total refinished job but it works, and if
Paul did it...wot could be cooler... :wink:
A very cheap and effective mod...

Now you actually have me thinking of doing this to my PGM 30 project. I really prefer hardtails to trems. Since mines not stock right now I am more than willing to modify it.

Or maybe I will try it on my RG project first. I'm already refinishing that guitar so if it works out good I may try it on the PGM.

I did it with a Jackson DXMG and even routed out for a middle single coil. It plays great with the hardtail. Very much worth doing.

Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:23 am
Godzilla

I have FIVE PGM guitars and my PGM30jb is my number 1. The only things not stock about it are the Bridge and Neck pickups. It's definitely a fine guitar.. It's a 2003 model so it was built in Japan and has a Prestige neck. :D

My PGM family:

PGM10TH
PGM800
PGM301
PGM30jb
PGM30wh

Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:18 pm
God Of The Sun

I have FIVE PGM guitars and my PGM30jb is my number 1. The only things not stock about it are the Bridge and Neck pickups. It's definitely a fine guitar.. It's a 2003 model so it was built in Japan and has a Prestige neck.

And an Edge Pro I Trem?

Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:55 pm
Godzilla

GTRMAN wrote:
I have FIVE PGM guitars and my PGM30jb is my number 1. The only things not stock about it are the Bridge and Neck pickups. It's definitely a fine guitar.. It's a 2003 model so it was built in Japan and has a Prestige neck.

And an Edge Pro I Trem?

Nope.. Mine has the TRS II.. Maybe it's a 2002.. :?

I still don't have ANY tuning trouble with it, though.. I can get pretty crazy on the bar with the divebombs and vibrato and it stays perfectly in tune. In fact, when I opened for Steve Whiteman and Funny Money this past Friday, I used it for all but three songs and didn't have to retune it once..I used my PGM301 for the songs that were tuned down a half-step..

BTW,
I couldn't believe that the crowd remembered "Dreams In The Dark" and "High Wire" by Badlands!! :shock:

Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:59 pm
God Of The Sun

Pretty sweet conversion...my old PGM30 (the one I sold :cry: )
converted by the guy who made my "JB" guitar.

Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]