View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Does anyone else think PGM's are overpriced? 
Godzilla

Post Does anyone else think PGM's are overpriced?
I finally got my hands on a 301 today, and it's basically my RG, but without floyd rose. Both MIJ's. I did get a steal on my RG, but I dunno if I wanna shell out a grand for Pauls name on my guitar. (after all, Joe Stump did sign my RG!)

Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:12 am
God Of The Sun

The shape is the RG shape, but the neck, pickups, wiring and quality are different.

Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:57 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

The pickups are better souning.

The switch, jack, and volume pot are of better quality.

The finish is fantastic.

The neck is better in finish and fret dressing.

Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:03 pm
God Of The Sun

I also agree. The 301 for example plays a lot better than any RG.
I do think Jems are overpriced though

Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:21 pm
Godzilla

I just might have to go for the PGM... My fortune cookie reads "Simplify your life and find great rewards." I think it's trying to say "Sell the stuff you never use, and buy the PGM." :twisted: I also figure this is the best place to get a subjective review of wether the PGM is worth the money. :wink:

Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:13 pm
Dr. X

I personally find everything to be overpriced. They should give that good stuff out for free :evil:
If you want overpriced, how about them ESP & Jackson signature models? Take a normal geetar, slap a name on it, and pay yourself silly :D

Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:06 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

All Ibanez guitars are overpriced to be fair. I'll never buy another Ibanez again because you just get fleeced as with gibson/fender etc

Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:06 pm
God Of The Sun

Well, Santana's PRS Guitar are much worse! At least here in Singapore.

Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:01 am
Promises to use Search button

All Ibanez guitars are overpriced to be fair. I'll never buy another Ibanez again because you just get fleeced as with gibson/fender etc

Obviously, you don't know what it takes to make a guitar. A refret alone costs about $225 if the luthier is very quick and being paid about $30/hour. Now take any $30 per hour job you can think of and try to get that person to learn how to refret a guitar perfectly in the same amount of time it took them to learn their profession. Good luck. What will happen? There will be about 200 guitars out there with frets that are totally fucked up.
If you then consider that Dimarzio pickups go for around $75 a piece, install on 2 pickups is about $50-70. Tuners are about $30, a floyd is about $175 and install for those things is around $200, you'll begin to understand that Ibanez guitars are a steal. Ibanez has established a reputation, so they don't have to sell at practically below cost like Schecter, Dean, etc.
My last comment, whatever you do for a living, consider that a guitar takes around 80 hours to make (by a skilled professional) now subtract the parts (about $500 retail) from the price you want to pay for a guitar divide the difference by 80 hours and tell me if that would be a reasonable price to pay you for making the guitar. Stop whining about overpriced guitars and just be thankful that there are great guitars by a number of manufacturers and custom shops for you to choose from.

Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:59 am
BOFH

--smoka wrote:

Obviously, you don't know what it takes to make a guitar. A refret alone costs about $225 if the luthier is very quick and being paid about $30/hour. Now take any $30 per hour job you can think of and try to get that person to learn how to refret a guitar perfectly in the same amount of time it took them to learn their profession. Good luck. What will happen? There will be about 200 guitars out there with frets that are totally fucked up.
If you then consider that Dimarzio pickups go for around $75 a piece, install on 2 pickups is about $50-70. Tuners are about $30, a floyd is about $175 and install for those things is around $200, you'll begin to understand that Ibanez guitars are a steal. Ibanez has established a reputation, so they don't have to sell at practically below cost like Schecter, Dean, etc.
My last comment, whatever you do for a living, consider that a guitar takes around 80 hours to make (by a skilled professional) now subtract the parts (about $500 retail) from the price you want to pay for a guitar divide the difference by 80 hours and tell me if that would be a reasonable price to pay you for making the guitar. Stop whining about overpriced guitars and just be thankful that there are great guitars by a number of manufacturers and custom shops for you to choose from.

Although I'm no expert and I can't verify if these prices are correct or not... I gotta say...

Well said :)

Welcome to the board :)

Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:28 pm
Profile WWW
is evil...Evil Joe

--smoka wrote:

Hoshino doesn't pay retail price for the parts they use, they get them for next to nothing and the guys who make the guitars don't get paid as much as you think. The cost for Hoshino to make a guitar is no where close to what you pay for it at retail value.
Take a regular Jem, the retail price on average in America is about $1,799 right? In the UK the retail price for the same guitar is £1,799, that works out at $3,435 in USD. They may not be to bad in the states but in the UK most guitars are way overpriced.

Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]