View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Honest review of the frm100 
Motorman

Post Honest review of the frm100
Looks great but playability ??

I have played pgm series for 20 years and this new guitar is a bit of a shock.

The neck is sooo thick and very hard to play.

But......

The tone is amazing. It's like learning to play the guitar from scratch. Amazing affordable guitar.

Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:39 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

Post Re: Honest review of the frm100
I 100% agree. I'm getting ready to sell or trade mine because I just can't get used to how thick the neck is. I've been an Ibanez player since 91 and going to a fat Gibson style just doesn't work for me. I've actually had several Les Paul's that have had slimmer neck profiles.

Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:46 pm
God Of The Sun

^^well, it's possible that the fat neck grows on you.
For example, when I first got my Richie Kotzen Fender Telecaster, it felt a bit strange at first. But then it started feel normal after a while.
Basically, if you usually position your thumb at the middle (or below) of the back of the neck, all that legato playing is equally easy regardless of how thick the neck is.

However, thumb over the neck playing (like for some blues riffs) will always be harder with a fat neck.

Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:25 pm
Motorman

It's getting easier but I daren't go back to one of the rg based pgms! Amazing sound.

Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:41 pm
Motorman

Well I have got used to the frm now...

This thing rocks. For the money it is right up there and the tone is amazing. Scared to play one of my other pgms in case I get used to the thin necks again!

Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:58 pm
Motorman

RolandRockstar wrote:
Well I have got used to the frm now...

This thing rocks. For the money it is right up there and the tone is amazing. Scared to play one of my other pgms in case I get used to the thin necks again!

You can give them to me :twisted:

Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:22 am
Motorman

Well ....O.K. I can understand that the thickness might be scary for some!
But with proper set-up; A straight neck, the nut , and then the bridge( string height) , the playability should be more than good!
This is not a japanese prestige guitar. And maybe/ probably the Chinese guys don't set it up at all! Even though the white sticker on the pick guard says they do:-) My FRM 100 was set-up really bad:-( , but I did the adjustments described above, and it plays really easy. The overall quality is really good!

The PGM FRM1 was set up really, really good when I got it! And the neck on THAT guitar is really, really BIG! VIP students already told me what to expect when playing this thing when it comes to the neck. Because I bought the
FRM 1 without even playing it once, it just looked cool/well build etc and I had to have it!:-)
My fingers are not long and thin by Pablo standards, but I played it a day or so and left my trusty PGM models in their cases for a few weeks , and the thickness of the neck didn't bother me at all. I've been playing my PGM models for 20 years or so, and there is no problem for me switching between different neck profiles.

If the Fireman guitars you guys got were purchased through ( major) music store distributors, I'd definitely suggest checking if the set-up is correct. Because those guys there, probably only know how to pack our beloved instruments and wish us all well!
Maybe this helps....

Any other questions? P.M. me

Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:07 am
Godzilla

Remyhansen wrote:
Well ....O.K. I can understand that the thickness might be scary for some!
But with proper set-up; A straight neck, the nut , and then the bridge( string height) , the playability should be more than good!
This is not a japanese prestige guitar. And maybe/ probably the Chinese guys don't set it up at all! Even though the white sticker on the pick guard says they do:-) My FRM 100 was set-up really bad:-( , but I did the adjustments described above, and it plays really easy. The overall quality is really good!

The PGM FRM1 was set up really, really good when I got it! And the neck on THAT guitar is really, really BIG! VIP students already told me what to expect when playing this thing when it comes to the neck. Because I bought the
FRM 1 without even playing it once, it just looked cool/well build etc and I had to have it!:-)
My fingers are not long and thin by Pablo standards, but I played it a day or so and left my trusty PGM models in their cases for a few weeks , and the thickness of the neck didn't bother me at all. I've been playing my PGM models for 20 years or so, and there is no problem for me switching between different neck profiles.

If the Fireman guitars you guys got were purchased through ( major) music store distributors, I'd definitely suggest checking if the set-up is correct. Because those guys there, probably only know how to pack our beloved instruments and wish us all well!
Maybe this helps....

Any other questions? P.M. me

And if you want your guitar to be adjusted be sure you don´t give it to some of those taxidermists who call themselves luthiers :)

Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]