View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 PGM vs RG 
Motorman

Post PGM vs RG
I sometimes ask myself, If you take a good RG 550 and put paf pro's in it!
Would that not sound or play as good as the new pgm 100?

Is there a noticable difference in quality or sound that makes the high price for a pgm justified compared to an rg.

The pgm probbaly has a different neck shape and a different finish, but that would not justify the high price for me...

alot of you have pgm's and rg's, your thought?

Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:37 pm
Superhero

Most significant difference is the neck :)

RG neck feels quite a bit fatter

For some reason i prefer my PGM but I don't really know why. The tone knob annoys me on the RG, as well as the fact that i don't know how to re-string it :)

PGM301
Laney GH100L > Orange 2x12

Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:48 pm
Viking Kong

It depends on which exact models you are comparing. The PGM100 and 401 have the square heel, while all the others have the AANJ. Older 550's have the square heel, and some of the later ones had the AANJ.

The neck profile difference is not that noticeable IMO. Wizard profile and the old PGM profile are 1mm different at the 1st fret. If you are comparing to the newer PGM profile it might be more noticeable. Some people don't like the new profile.

One of the bigger differences is the control layout. The PGM has a single volume knob placed in the perfect spot IMO. Normal RG's have volume and tone knobs.

PGM and RG bodies are the same shape, but they are routed differently. The PGM's don't have pick guards. There may be slightly different amounts of wood routed out of a PGM than a normal RG.

I think a 550 and a 100 with the same picklups would sound similar as long as the 550 has a rosewood fretboard. If the 550 has a maple neck it would probably sound a little different.

Besides the finishes which I happen to like I mostly prefer PGM's because of the control layout. My 750 and 760 are also nice guitars, but I still find myself picking up a PGM to play much more often.

Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:58 pm
Godzilla

lol... The 100 was an RG that Ibanez painted F holes on.

Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:15 am
is evil...Evil Joe

I have a few of both. Aside from the control layout and the fact that my RG's have a whammy, I don't think they're that much different. They definitely sound similar through my various Marshalls.

I *slightly* prefer my RG's because I like having the whammy, but I'm a PG fanboy so playing guitars with fake F-holes makes me happy. 8)

Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:49 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]