View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 PG`s Ibanez at guitarclinic 1987 
Promises to use Search button

Post PG`s Ibanez at guitarclinic 1987
Hi!
Im a huge fan and a new user of the Racer X forum,
and i wanted to know if anyone knows wich guitar Paul Gilbert is using at this guitar clinic video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zssxnu2LdRY
thanks !

Wed May 13, 2009 4:46 pm
Viking Kong

It was a custom guitar made by Ibanez. It has the body shape of an Ibanez wilshire, and an Ibanez neck. Seymour Duncan Mini himbucker in the neck. Dimarzio superdistortion in the bridge. It had a kahler trem.

Thu May 14, 2009 4:01 pm
Motorman

only a green, orange and pink where made for paul and bruce! It is not a production model and was his main guitar during the racer X days.
In the early Racer x days paul used a modified pink epiphone wilshire and he liked it so much that he asked Ibanez to make one with an ibanez neck. This guitar inspired the telesavales (an ibanez RG with the same pickups, bridge and in pink).

Later he modified the guitar by giving it F-holes and a hardtail bridge.
Bruce's green one was destroyed during a show.
The orange one is owned by a board member.

Thu May 14, 2009 5:42 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

What was up with Paul's early tone? Was it just a lack of a good enough amplifier? Rythm was super fuzzy, lead was alright - a bit too harsh on the highs though.

Thu May 14, 2009 10:15 pm
Motorman

What was up with Paul's early tone? Was it just a lack of a good enough amplifier? Rythm was super fuzzy, lead was alright - a bit too harsh on the highs though.

He used modded marshalls or the ada MP1 with an ampeg poweramp so I wouldn't say he didn't have acces to good amps.
The ada MP1 is a more gritty/fuzzy tube amp with tons of gain. His tone today is a lot smoother and has less treble.

If you are refering to the tone in the vid, I think he borrowed a marshall head for the clinic and it is also an old recording with pretty crappy audio.

Thu May 14, 2009 10:32 pm
God Of The Sun

are you kidding?? THAT TONE IS OVERKILL

and btw. ikke: that is a red ibanez one

and, the telesavalas was a prototype, 1 of 10 made for creating the modern RG model

:wink:

Fri May 15, 2009 6:15 am
Dr. X

Now would anyone happen tot know the stats to construct one? Does anyone have any contacts perhaps, at Ibanez to raise the question of having one of these as a production model? Personally, I think this guitar is one of PG's best, it has the sound of both a scratchy bridge humbucker and a creamy neck humbucker and has a cool look at the same time. Idk, i just wish Ibanez would consider making a production model of this... :roll:

Fri May 15, 2009 5:36 pm
Motorman

I don't think epiphone would aprove ibanez making one of their body shapes!
A shame tough! I would love to see those as a production model.

Fri May 15, 2009 5:45 pm
Godzilla

Bruce's green one was destroyed during a show.

longer story please

Fri May 15, 2009 8:11 pm
Viking Kong

Now would anyone happen tot know the stats to construct one?

Epiphone has just re-released the wilshire for 299.00, so I guess you could start with that. Then mod the hell out of it. :wink:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/prod ... sku=518527

Fri May 15, 2009 8:27 pm
Godzilla

Are you Evil? JOEEE wrote:
Now would anyone happen tot know the stats to construct one?

Epiphone has just re-released the wilshire for 299.00, so I guess you could start with that. Then mod the hell out of it. :wink:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/prod ... sku=518527

then you'd get something like this :D

Fri May 15, 2009 8:34 pm
Godzilla

Fri May 15, 2009 9:11 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

How much longer is that Wilshire gonna stay? Next year?

Fri May 15, 2009 10:08 pm
Viking Kong

How much longer is that Wilshire gonna stay? Next year?

You can't predict these things. They could decide to stop making them at any time. They did make these a few years ago and sold them exclusively through music123. I think Music 123 and musicians friend are owned by the same people so it doesn't surprise me to see musicians friend selling them now.

If they do discontinue them next year I wouldn't be surprised to see them on closeout for cheap.

Fri May 15, 2009 10:21 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

Which one did Paul use? Was it the Olympic?

Or was it the Wilshire, just the Ibanez remake didn't have a pickgaurd for some reason?

Fri May 15, 2009 10:35 pm
Godzilla

I believe paul originally had a wilshire, because it was virtually the same as the one I have except with dots not block inlays, it had a pickguard that he had cut around the neck pickup and probably had two normal humbuckers that he and his dad modified to put the mini in and the kahler.

Fri May 15, 2009 11:01 pm
Viking Kong

I think Music 123 and musicians friend are owned by the same people so it doesn't surprise me to see musicians friend selling them now.

I could be mistaken, but I believe Musican's Friend might actually be owned by Guitar Center, and music 123 is seperate from them.

Fri May 15, 2009 11:26 pm
Viking Kong

xjustice09x wrote:
I think Music 123 and musicians friend are owned by the same people so it doesn't surprise me to see musicians friend selling them now.

I could be mistaken, but I believe Musican's Friend might actually be owned by Guitar Center, and music 123 is seperate from them.

Guitar center own Musicians friend, and Woodwind and Brass which owned Music 123. I'm pretty sure Music 123 ships gear out of the same warehouses as MF.

Other sites owned by guitar center include private reserve guitars, and guitarsale.com. They also own Harmony central.

Quote:
November 22, 2006 11:28 AM Eastern Time
Guitar Center Signs Agreement to Acquire Substantially All the Assets of The Woodwind & The Brasswind
Proposed Asset Purchase Arrangement Through The Woodwind & The Brasswind Bankruptcy Will Expand the Company’s Direct Response Division

WESTLAKE VILLAGE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Guitar Center today announced that it has signed an asset purchase agreement to acquire substantially all the assets of The Woodwind & The Brasswind under section 363 of the United States Bankruptcy Code. Under the terms of the agreement, Guitar Center will acquire The Woodwind & The Brasswind’s inventory of band and orchestra and combo instruments, accounts receivable, trade names and certain other intangible assets. The transaction is subject to a number of conditions, including bankruptcy court approval, and is also subject to overbid at a bankruptcy auction expected to be held in January 2007.

Marty Albertson, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Guitar Center, said, “The acquisition of assets of The Woodwind & The Brasswind, including the Woodwind and Brasswind and Music123 websites, will enable us to further expand the already strong combo instrument business at Musician’s Friend as well as build out our direct response band and orchestra business. We are excited about the opportunity to broaden our customer base and continue the growth of our direct response business.”

The Woodwind & The Brasswind filed for bankruptcy protection in Indiana on November 21, 2006. The proposed asset acquisition agreement was entered into by the Musician’s Friend subsidiary of Guitar Center. Under the agreement, only very limited trade obligations and other pre-petition liabilities of The Woodwind & The Brasswind are being assumed.

Fri May 15, 2009 11:59 pm
Superhero

'1986: I continued to teach at M.I. Bruce Bouillet was one of my students. He was already a great guitarist and he learned the things I showed him almost instantly. We started trying things in harmony and it sounded amazing so I asked him to join RACER X. He did! Harry Gschoesser's visa ran out, so he returned to his native Austria. Scott Travis joined the band. I bought an old 60's Epiphone Olympic guitar and hot-rodded it with new pickups and a Kahler tremolo.'

an olympic!! just being a pedant!

also see http://www.provide.net/~cfh/epiphon2.html#oly scroll up the page also, all the info you need on this body type!

old fan since 1986.
see ya

Sat May 16, 2009 9:10 am
Motorman

from THIS site under 'band'
'1986: I continued to teach at M.I. Bruce Bouillet was one of my students. He was already a great guitarist and he learned the things I showed him almost instantly. We started trying things in harmony and it sounded amazing so I asked him to join RACER X. He did! Harry Gschoesser's visa ran out, so he returned to his native Austria. Scott Travis joined the band. I bought an old 60's Epiphone Olympic guitar and hot-rodded it with new pickups and a Kahler tremolo.'

an olympic!! just being a pedant!

also see http://www.provide.net/~cfh/epiphon2.html#oly scroll up the page also, all the info you need on this body type!

Could that be the black guitar he used for the guitar wars 1985??
The pink epiphone he used later looks more like a wilshire, the pickguard and position of the switch coresponds with an old wilshire.

Sat May 16, 2009 9:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next