View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 PGM Documentation Project Idea (unrelated to sticky ^^) 
Queen Dork of the board

Post PGM Documentation Project Idea (unrelated to sticky ^^)
TheFace seems to know exactly where to find any PGM or PG-related guitar on the internet. He is incredibly consistent. He finds these things with the same zeal and thorough attention to detail that I find photos. It's quite cool.

I seem to be really good at making PG-related, huge projects that are made up of tons of different items (tour reviews, photos, videos, etc)

Maybe TheFace could pull together everything from the defunct pgmsite: pictures, descriptions, Ibanez specs, etc. and I could organize & upload it here on the board (or off the board, whatever)?

Just an idea!

I know I have the time & stuff. I'd be happy to take part.

edit: if there's someone who has info. or time or whatnot, besides TheFace, or wants to participate (like Kolesar, or xjustice, etc), that's fine too - I thought of TheFace first, that's all.

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Last edited by flying-dino on Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:30 pm
Viking Kong

Here is an archived page with PGM model specs and comments from Paul that was on pgmsite.
http://web.archive.org/web/20040806013704/www.pgmsite.com/pgms.htm

This image is what the front page of the PGM site used to look like.

I miss that site.

Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:16 pm
Queen Dork of the board

Last edited by flying-dino on Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:47 pm
Viking Kong

Thanks so much for the link.
I appreciate it - I have never seen that page before, so it's totally new to my eyes.

I thought this was MUCH more involved then a single page.
LOL. I can see why they'd let a domain for a one-page site expire.

I was under the impression that there were tons of undisclosed PGM's that were to be documented, like the Plywood, Orange, etc. and also guitars like the Star / Ghostrider, the pink Destroyer hybrid, Paul's Dino, and of course the new stuff like the Fireman.

If it's really just one page this is a done deal. (I thought this was going to take some effort.) ;)

Those mugshots of Paul are kind of funny. (a lot of the guitar model pics are missing but should be easy to track down.)

The site was a few pages. There was a page with the PGM specs. A gallery with pictures of a bunch of pauls guitars taken at Pauls house in 2002. There also was a forum (much like this one), where we would discuss PGM's, and other stuff.

An archived copy of the guitar gallery is here. http://web.archive.org/web/20041010035233/www.pgmsite.com/galleries/paulgiblertguitars/index.html
Most of the pictures aren't there any more.

The PGM models page only documented officially released models. There might have been some info on some of those undisclosed models on the message board.

An archived copy of the main page for the message board is here
http://web.archive.org/web/20040814014343/www.pgmsite.com/arena/

None of the posts are archived by archives.org though. Unless Chad or Eddie have backups of the message boards contents all of that may have been lost.

Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:01 am
Queen Dork of the board

Cool, thanks for the info. I'd found those pages but it's nice to see them linked here too.

I clicked the "search all pages" and it brought up a month by month break-down of all of the postings, plus it brought up usernames, etc. Are you sure the posts are all gone? I didn't check beyond seeing 2400+ pages listed for the site.

This forum (Racer X Band) seems to be very high-quality and I am not so sure those old posts from pgmsite are needed... other then to avoid re-typing descriptions :)

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:28 am
Viking Kong

Are you sure the posts are all gone? I didn't check beyond seeing 2400+ pages listed for the site.

This forum (Racer X Band) seems to be very high-quality and I am not so sure those old posts from pgmsite are needed... other then to avoid re-typing descriptions :)

The data may still be somewhere.

Just by clicking on a link of a forum from the archives.org archive it will tell you that the page wasn't archived. I just assumed the posts were gone.

I don't think the old message board posts are necissary, but cool things are posted from time to time. I like to go back and reread posts on things like specific questions that paul answered regarding specific guitars. There might be some info like that to be found in the old board posts.

Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:49 am
Queen Dork of the board

Yep - you're right - the messages are all gone. The index pages which held them are all replaced with the same "not archived on..." message. So a few of the guitars might need a bit of a re-write.

I'm mostly interested in the stuff you won't find in the "sticky" message ^^ up there, or in the Ibanez catalogs. You know: the one-offs and really cool / rare / quirky stuff that Paul's been known to play.

~~ ~~~ ~~ ~~ ~~~ ~~ ~~ ~~~ ~~ ~~ ~~~ ~~ ~~ ~~~ ~~ ~~ ~~~ ~~ ~~ ~~~ ~~ ~~ ~~~ ~~

Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:48 am
Motorman

As you might have guessed I'm a big PGM fan. You can say I'm addicted and I WANT THEM ALL. Currently I own the 100, 300, 400, 500, 900 and 90thHAM. I'm in process buying the 10th and the 600. Besides that I NEED the 700 and 800. BUT MOST OF ALL THE FRIKKIN 200!!! (still have bad nights because of it).

Although my girlfriend probably is gonna kill me if she she's the 600 hanging between the others, I'll take the risk. She hasn't got much guitar knowledge, but she knows the prices :? Let's say it's going to cost me more than just flowers to make it up..

But.. to come back to this, I'm happy to participate and generate a new site, but I can only collect etc. I'm not that handy in difficult higher university IT stuff. And I need the time to improve my playing :lol:

Cheers,

Albert

Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:26 am
Queen Dork of the board

The basics, including a short list of which PGM's to collect documentation on, are completed.
I wish I could say I burned the midnight oil and it took me hours... in actuality it only needed three threads from this board, and one spot on the Ibanez site, and about half an hour of re-typing / formatting / collecting links and sources. hehe.
I haven't put in the technical specifications but I will do that shortly.
I'm trying not to make the same thing that has been done online several other times... there is no need to re-hash the same data.
The widely known "production" PGM's are all set / are completed.
The weird and rare stuff is all that's needed. Luckily there are a lot of them! :)
So once I have the page posted I'll send the link.

Chad Dyer is still a member of this site, correct?

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:52 am
Viking Kong

Chad Dyer is still a member of this site, correct?

As far as I know he's still a member, but doesn't post very often.

Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:50 pm
Queen Dork of the board

Link to the rough draft of the project...

Last edited by flying-dino on Wed May 06, 2009 4:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:44 pm
Motorman

Okay, I built as much of a PGM-list as I could from forum postings and also from stock PGM models # + some info. from the archived PGMsite...

I guess I'll publish a rough-out page so that we know what information still needs to be found. From memory, information on the Orange PGM is most definitely needed (and a bunch of other customs).

A stylistic note: For now it's on my blog (not yet published), but it ideally should be moved to it's own site once it's presentable. That's a very, very easy thing to do.

And a side note: I know Paul has some information regarding PGM's on his site and I do not want to replicate that. His content should stay his... he has developed a certain way of presenting things, and that is really special, and unique.

Hey Jenn, I saved a few nice pictures at home. I will send you some. Besides that, I have the 100, 300, 400, 500, 700, 900 and 90ham, so of them I can make pictures on request. Most specs can be found on the site. A real site (no blog) would be very cool. There is 1 topic about the selling prices of PGM's, would be cool to document those figures once in a while.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:48 am
Queen Dork of the board

TheFace: Awesome, great, thanks for offering those pictures and the info!! It's steps in the right direction... that will be tremendous for the project.

Unfortunately, "real sites" cost real money.
The domain, the private registration, then the webspace and hosting, then maintenance and promotion...

I am unwilling to exploit Paul for commercial gain. Meaning I won't subsidize a website - I won't get affiliate codes, or sell things with his name on them, or put a donation button anywhere, etc. I don't ethically believe in that; it rubs me completely the wrong way.

(Other people of course are totally free to have different opinions.)

Last edited by flying-dino on Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:45 am
Motorman

What kind of work do you do as you answer middle in the night US time Jenn...

Ok, blogging is ok, but would prefer a nice oversight. Your own PG blog contains so many things it's lost it a bit...

Data I really appreciate to discuss are how many or approx are made of each model, and how long. Still I don't know the exact number of my 700. I heard 92, 55, and 45. I just like to know. I prefer a stock picture like we have in the PGM topic and under that special pictures/pics of them with PG. Further the normal specs, exceptions, colors etc and perhaps youtubies to nice video's of them. Since I found 0! of the 700 I can make one.

Rock on.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:12 am
Viking Kong

Technical specs for as many of these rare beasts would be really, really appreciated! You know: Year of production, scale length, # frets (what type of frets), finish / colors, body / neck / fingerboard wood, type of trem if it has one, type of bridge, the name of each pickup (and at what position), how the guitar is wired... ANY information is much appreciated!

Are you looking to compile info on any guitars Paul may own or has owned or focus on PGM's? I have pics of an old Ibanez Les Paul and SG that he used at the Amazing journey shows. I could probably figure out what models they were.

Some of the specs might be hard to nail down, and some of the guitars have changed over time. Some of them have gone through a few pickup changes, and others have been converted to hard tails. Are you looking to track all the changes to the guitars?

The dino RG is pretty easy to get general specs. It most likely was a 1989 RG750 the finish color is FA or five alarm red. That color isn't listed as an option for 1990 do its probably an 89. Specs can be found in the 1989 catalog http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/us/1989/rg7.jpg. It used to have an edge trem, but Paul got it hardtail converted at some point. In early 2006 he had a tonezone in the bridge, and two single coils from one of the jumpstart guitars that comes in a beginners kit with amp, strap, instructional dvd etc. If I remember correctly the bridge pickup may have been changed mid year during his european tour. The baseball holograms are from packs of 1989 upper deck baseball cards. The dinosaur holograms are similar to what you can find in the American greetings sets you can find on ebay, but those are missing the hylaeosaurus.

The orange PGM was made 2001 or earlier. Its used on the snowball of doom DVD. It later had binding added around the f-holes. The body is basswood with a maple top. The back and sides are black and the orange is transparent. Binding is creme. About the neck profile according to Paul "It feels a tiny bit thicker than a wizard, but they`ve changed over the years, and I haven`t kept track of the millimeters."

Some of my info came from this thread
http://racerxband.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=12310

Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:37 am
Viking Kong

Data I really appreciate to discuss are how many or approx are made of each model, and how long. Still I don't know the exact number of my 700. I heard 92, 55, and 45.

The highest serial number I have seen is 71. We probably will never find out the real number. The one I own has no serial number, it may have been a prototype or something though.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:41 am
Motorman

The Face wrote:

Data I really appreciate to discuss are how many or approx are made of each model, and how long. Still I don't know the exact number of my 700. I heard 92, 55, and 45.

The highest serial number I have seen is 71. We probably will never find out the real number. The one I own has no serial number, it may have been a prototype or something though.

Hi man, well, the guy from who I bought it last week said 45 in total. He had that from some selling agent/business development person from Ibanez. There are numbers missing as he said there were a lot of 700 not correctly made and had to be destroyed or what so ever. Plus, like yours, never got a number. Perhaps when we have specific short questions we can email Paul and hoping he replies. When we made a first start with a nice blog he must be flattered and help us a bit. I will work with Jenn on the questions

Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:02 am
Queen Dork of the board

I haven't even begun to touch the multimedia page or the "replicas and refinishes" page.

For me, the multimedia page will be the easier of the 2. It's just a matter of choosing stuff, one rainy day... :)
* of course new multimedia would be GREAT to have! Contribute please if you've got it!

Last edited by flying-dino on Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:35 am
God Of The Sun

I still have all the info and pics of the old pgmsite. I simply have no time to create it right now :(

Mon May 04, 2009 11:08 pm
Queen Dork of the board

It's great to see you here & even better that you still have all the info.
Please check your PM.

Tue May 05, 2009 12:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]