View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Hotrodding 
is evil...Evil Joe

Post Hotrodding
I'm getting a Jackson DK2M in White next weekend or the one after.

Anyone have any ideas as to what I could do with it?

I thought about converting it into a bad PGM300 copy, but I don't know if it's worth the work, or if I can even put on the F-holes and move the switches.

I'm gonna put in DiMarzio's when I get the money, but I'm not sure what to put in.

I've thought about:
(from bridge to neck)
PAF Pro x2
PAF Pro, Humbucker From Hell
Tone Zone, Humbucker from hell
Super Distortion x2
Air Classic Bridge, PAF Classic Bridge

Either one of those, or I keep the neck pickup, and switch out the JB with something (PAF Pro?)

EDIT: Any other Paul Gilbert-like mods are appreciated. I can't afford a PGM until next year, and I missed my shot at getting a brand new 301 (weak. I love maple boards with a white body) so I'd probably end up getting a 401 (Not as good looking as the 301, imo, but it sounds awesome. Like the 301, but with more definition, clarity, and fatness. especially with the highs)

Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:37 am
Viking Kong

Looking at the size of the back plate you might be able to move the controls without having to modify the cavity too much. You would still have to make new holes for the relocated controls, and fill in the old holes. It might be tough to do this and make it look really good unless you are refinishing the body. If you are doing that you might as well have the f-holes painted on. Unless you really like woodworking it might not be worth doing it yourself.

The easiest way to put on f-holes would be to buy some f-hole decals. If you don't like them you can easily remove them.

If you are eventually getting a PGM I would just save up till you can afford the PGM. Personally I probably wouldn't do too much modding to the Jackson unless I couldn't afford a PGM.

Of course it is your guitar. If moding it to be more like a PGM makes you happy then thats all that matters.

As far as pickups go I would wait to see how the guitar sounds with the stock duncans before making a decision. It may sound great as is. If there is something you don't like about the tone then look into which combo will get you closer to what you are after.

Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:39 am
Viking Kong

I agree with what Justice said. Try out the Duncans first and see if you like them. They make great sounding pickups after all.

But I'll put my input on the Tone Zone/HFH setup. I think it's awesome. The tone zone is fairly beefy and does leads really well. You can really hear the "thunk" when you hit the strings, and it's great for leads where you need articulate notes. The HFH is pretty fat sounding, and does neck leads well. It's lower in output than some other neck pickups, but I like it that way because it's a little more percussive. The great thing about Dimarzio pickups is that when you play large chords, the notes ring clearly and usually won't get lost in mud.

The PAF Pro is also one of my faves. I have it in my RG7 and I love the midrange bite it has. A lot of people on the board don't seem to like PAF Pros as much as Tone Zones...perhaps it has to do with the gain or something. I find PAF Pros to actually be a little clearer sounding than Tone Zones...and in my 7 string, it sounds absolutely beastly.

Another route to go would be Bareknuckle pickups. They are very expensive, but pretty freakin awesome. I'm actually looking to change my dimarzios into Bareknuckles and getting a set for something else, because they're just so damn brutal. I'm finding that I'm starting to downtune a lot more, and that bareknuckles have a better midrange for that type of playing.

Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:40 am
is evil...Evil Joe

I agree with what Justice said. Try out the Duncans first and see if you like them. They make great sounding pickups after all.

But I'll put my input on the Tone Zone/HFH setup. I think it's awesome. The tone zone is fairly beefy and does leads really well. You can really hear the "thunk" when you hit the strings, and it's great for leads where you need articulate notes. The HFH is pretty fat sounding, and does neck leads well. It's lower in output than some other neck pickups, but I like it that way because it's a little more percussive. The great thing about Dimarzio pickups is that when you play large chords, the notes ring clearly and usually won't get lost in mud.

The PAF Pro is also one of my faves. I have it in my RG7 and I love the midrange bite it has. A lot of people on the board don't seem to like PAF Pros as much as Tone Zones...perhaps it has to do with the gain or something. I find PAF Pros to actually be a little clearer sounding than Tone Zones...and in my 7 string, it sounds absolutely beastly.

Another route to go would be Bareknuckle pickups. They are very expensive, but pretty freakin awesome. I'm actually looking to change my dimarzios into Bareknuckles and getting a set for something else, because they're just so damn brutal. I'm finding that I'm starting to downtune a lot more, and that bareknuckles have a better midrange for that type of playing.

What I'm looking for is clarity, and brightness. That's why I'm not really leaning too much on the Tone Zone. The JB just doesn't do it for me (I've already tried it out, though I tried it on a different amp so that may be it). It's a bit too harsh with the highs. The lows are fairly percussive, and the mids could be better, but it's definately a step up from Epiphone LP Special II stock pickups :p

As for the neck, I like to have a brighter neck pickup, so that you can get the clarity with bends and fast playing, but still have that smoothness.

I'm leaning towards a PAF prox2 or PAF Pro/HFH combo. Not enough money for Bareknuckles. A PAF Pro/ Air Classic Neck might work out, too.

Also, does anyone know what pickup paul used in the neck of his Epiphone and the purple ibanez? I wanna get a crappy guitar from sears or Walmart to practice modding on, and I might aswell make it sound good.

Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:50 pm
Viking Kong

Also, does anyone know what pickup paul used in the neck of his Epiphone and the purple ibanez? I wanna get a crappy guitar from sears or Walmart to practice modding on, and I might aswell make it sound good.

Some of those guitars have been modded a few times so it depends on what exact configurations you were thinking. The pickup I think you are asking about I think was a Seymore Duncan mini humbucker. I have no clue o hte exact model, or if they had more than 1 model at the time (they currently sell at least 3 different models)

Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]