View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Fholes 
is evil...Evil Joe

Post Fholes
Is there a template for them anywhere? I'm getting an RGR421EXFM soon, and I'd like to make it as close as physically possible to the orange PGM.

First thing, would I have to rout the cavity in the back more in order to fit in F-hole controls?

Second, how would I close the original holes for the knobs and PU selector?

Third, how would I paint it?

Sand down the paint, paint the guitar black get paper f-holes (Does anyone know where I can get a template for f-holes?) and place them where they are on the PGM guitar, paint orange over that, take off paper f-holes and then i'll have the finish? minus the binding, of course. That's my next question.

How would I go about getting and applying binding?

Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:38 pm
God Of The Sun

I don't have any answers for the painting and stuff, but you can find a template for the f holes in the second page of paul's equipment thread.

Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:45 pm
Superhero

That'll come in handy for my custom guitar :D Thanks Volkan (somehow I missed that =o).

Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:54 pm
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

That'll come in handy for my custom guitar :D Thanks Volkan (somehow I missed that =o).

no probs :wink:

Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:11 pm
Viking Kong

Post Re: Fholes
FlamingoBob wrote:
Is there a template for them anywhere? I'm getting an RGR421EXFM soon, and I'd like to make it as close as physically possible to the orange PGM.

Since you are asking so many questions about the basic construction you may be in over your head on this project.

Depending on the finish of your guitar refinishing the body orange may be difficult. Some color dyes stain the body wood, so refinishing with a transparent orange may not be the best option.

Quote:

You would fill them with wood and wood glue.

Quote:

You can paint guitars using spray can products. Or you can use a spray gun if you have an air compressor. http://www.reranch.com/ has a bunch of info on refinishing.

Quote:
Sand down the paint, paint the guitar black get paper f-holes (Does anyone know where I can get a template for f-holes?) and place them where they are on the PGM guitar, paint orange over that, take off paper f-holes and then i'll have the finish?

That should work, but the real guitar is transparent orange (you can see the wood grain) so you if you are looking to do a real replica you would not paint the guitar black first.

You would do the transparent orange on the top first. Then mask off the f-holes and paint those black. To complicate things further the f-holes on the orange PGM have a cream border painted around them so they look like they are bound.

Quote:

You have to rout out a binding channel around the body then attach the binding. Stew mac sells binding and router bits http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bindings,_trim.html

Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:20 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

xjustice09x wrote:
FlamingoBob wrote:

Since you are asking so many questions about the basic construction you may be in over your head on this project.

Depending on the finish of your guitar refinishing the body orange may be difficult. Some color dyes stain the body wood, so refinishing with a transparent orange may not be the best option.

Quote:

You would fill them with wood and wood glue.

Quote:

You can paint guitars using spray can products. Or you can use a spray gun if you have an air compressor. http://www.reranch.com/ has a bunch of info on refinishing.

Quote:
Sand down the paint, paint the guitar black get paper f-holes (Does anyone know where I can get a template for f-holes?) and place them where they are on the PGM guitar, paint orange over that, take off paper f-holes and then i'll have the finish?

That should work, but the real guitar is transparent orange (you can see the wood grain) so you if you are looking to do a real replica you would not paint the guitar black first.

You would do the transparent orange on the top first. Then mask off the f-holes and paint those black. To complicate things further the f-holes on the orange PGM have a cream border painted around them so they look like they are bound.

Quote:

You have to rout out a binding channel around the body then attach the binding. Stew mac sells binding and router bits http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bindings,_trim.html

Darn.

What would be a more realistic/easier PGM to replicate?

I'm thinking that if the Flamed Maple top is a veneer or really, really thin, that it would be possible to make a 500 copy.

Does anyone have any info on the Flamed Maple tops on lower quality Ibanez guitars?

Or any other ideas as to what I could do to the guitar?

Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:20 pm
Viking Kong

FlamingoBob wrote:

Darn.

What would be a more realistic/easier PGM to replicate?

I'm thinking that if the Flamed Maple top is a veneer or really, really thin, that it would be possible to make a 500 copy.

Does anyone have any info on the Flamed Maple tops on lower quality Ibanez guitars?

Or any other ideas as to what I could do to the guitar?

I have stripped a low end Ibanez that had a veneer on it. I was using a heat gun to strip the finish and it the veneer started coming off I found it easier just to chip off the veneer than scrape the rest of the finish off the top of the body.

I would assume the 421 has a similar type of veneer.

A 500 has a solid color finish so i doesn't matter what kind of top it has. You would just paint over it with a metallic red paint.

It really depends on how accurate you want to be with the replica. The 500 has the f-hole shaped control cavity, and the output jack is recessed and at a different angle than other PGM's. The RGR421 neck also has binding which no RG shaped PGM's have except the 100 and the anniversary models.

If you are not concerned with making an accurate replica the 500 would probably be the easiest to make starting from an RGR421.

Personally I would probably make something different. I would refinish it in colors not offered by Ibanez. If I'm dong a replica I want to be able to match as many of the little details as possible. If I am dong something totally different then there is no reason to sweat the little details. Thats just me though.

If you want to convert an RGR to a PGM500 or orange pgm and are happy with the end results thats all that matters.

Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:35 pm
Superhero

Black pgm with white f-holes ftw! After all - there's noting more metal than black!

Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:30 pm
Profile WWW
is evil...Evil Joe

Can someone delete this? I accidently clicked quote and ended up quoting the original message here below when I meant to edit the message that was here.

Last edited by FlamingoBob on Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:20 am
is evil...Evil Joe

_NowakP wrote:
Black pgm with white f-holes ftw! After all - there's noting more metal than black!

You don't understand how much I hate the color black :(

Every single little thing shows up. ESPECIALLY finger marks and shed cat hair. UNLESS of course, it's nitrocellouse (spelling? the non glossy one.)

I think I'll go with the make it something completely different route.

Not quite sure what to do, though.

I love the crazy 80s/70s colors, but Ibanez has already offered pretty much everything.

What to do? Any ideas? Something easy preferably. This is for visuals, by the way. I'm already replacing hardware and electronics.

Also, is it possible to get rid of the pickup rings?

I'm thinking either white rings with white pickups, or colored pickups with no rings (if possible)

Otherwise, I'll probably just go with a stock with hardware + electronic upgrades. I don't want to replicate something without getting the exact specs down, and the PGM models would be too difficult to replicate.

I'm really out of ideas here. I was thinking of making it look vintage, but it doesn't work out with the sharp ends.

Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:25 am
Viking Kong

I love the crazy 80s/70s colors, but Ibanez has already offered pretty much everything.

What to do? Any ideas? Something easy preferably. This is for visuals, by the way. I'm already replacing hardware and electronics.

If you want 80's colors paint it an 80's color. When I mentioned something not available, I was thinking PGM's only. Green and white, black and red, gold and black... the possibilities are endless.

Quote:

You can, but the pickup route is probably pretty deep. You might have to put some wood at the bottom of the cavity so the pickup will be at the correct height. It also probably won't look as good as a guitar that was routed to be direct mount. I guess you could fill the pickup routes with wood and reroute them since you are doing a refinish.

If you want to keep the project simple I would just use pickup rings.

Quote:
Otherwise, I'll probably just go with a stock with hardware + electronic upgrades. I don't want to replicate something without getting the exact specs down, and the PGM models would be too difficult to replicate.

Paint it whatever color you like.

I'll probably be getting my PGM300 refinished some day. I plan to do some color scheme that isn't readily available, or possibly one that has never been done before.

Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:38 am
is evil...Evil Joe

FlamingoBob wrote:

If you want 80's colors paint it an 80's color. When I mentioned something not available, I was thinking PGM's only. Green and white, black and red, gold and black... the possibilities are endless.

Quote:

You can, but the pickup route is probably pretty deep. You might have to put some wood at the bottom of the cavity so the pickup will be at the correct height. It also probably won't look as good as a guitar that was routed to be direct mount. I guess you could fill the pickup routes with wood and reroute them since you are doing a refinish.

If you want to keep the project simple I would just use pickup rings.

Quote:

Paint it whatever color you like.

I'll probably be getting my PGM300 refinished some day. I plan to do some color scheme that isn't readily available, or possibly one that has never been done before.

I've been thinking of Dark purple with White F-holes plus other white stuff, or like, Desert Yellow with Black (Overdone, but I like it), or keeping the controls as they are and only painting it. Can't paint it white, because then it just looks like a stupid PGM30/PGM3. Can't paint it black because everything shows on black, and I can't think of any other colors that look good with white pickups with white pickup rings and knobs. White is my favorite guitar color of any sort. Unfortunately, the guitar has a rosewood fretboard so white just makes it look cheap. (It reminds me of the PGM30/PGM3 and it'll just kinda eat away at me untill I re-paint it).

Any suggested color schemes + programs that I can use to color the guitar besides photoshop/other pay to use stuff? I've been thinking Lochness Green with Shocking pink, or Shocking Pink with Black, or maybe even a PGM401 scheme? I'd probably need an artist or Luthier to do the TFB, though.

If I just keep the controls and finish it in another color, I'd probably do DY with Black stuff, or White with White stuff, or Candy Apple Red with White stuff.

So many choices :o Now I know how Paul feels living near LACS, except like 10x more blown away. Well, maybe not. This is my second guitar, and first real guitar after all so I'm trying to make her as useful as I possibly can for as long as possible, along with as purdy as I can get her to be.

Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:48 am
Viking Kong

http://www.jemsite.com/vrg/

It even has the PGM f hole option. You can make the body and f holes many different colors.

Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:21 am
Dr. X

don't forget that the pickup selector switch is in a different spot/angle in a pgm than a regular rg

2002 Gibson SG Spc
1989 Fender Strat w/ Area '61 MIA
1987 Ibanez RG550

Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]