View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Ibanez/PGM Experts 
is evil...Evil Joe

Post Ibanez/PGM Experts
How are the Ibanez RGR421EXFM and RG7321FM guitars? I'm pretty sure they're made in Indonesia, which throws me off and annoys me a little, but they're pretty much the best I can get with my price range.

I'd like some quality reviews on those guitars, or at least on the Fixed Bridge series and where they're made. No links to Ultimate Guitar review section. It's pretty much useless, considering that every single guitar has like an 8+ rating, including the terrible ones (Epiphone LP Special II with like a 9.4.. what the hell?)

Also, how hard would it be to turn one of them into a kind-of replica of the orange PGM?

I'm talking about painting it the same color, adding creme pickup rings and a new set of pickups, putting in a Gotoh GTC101 (Is that the model numer?). Possibly even blocking the original knob and pickup selector holes, and then putting on fake f-holes and putting in a volume and tone know.

A bit over the top, I know, but this is pretty much as good as my second guitar will get. Strats lack frets, Jackson doesn't make any fixed bridge models, and I'm unaware of any other brands that make good guitars in my price range. (~800CAD)

EDIT: Feel free to reccomend some used guitars or other brands I can look at in my pricerange. 24 frets is a must.

Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:42 am
Superhero

You CAN'T go wrong with a fixed bridge ibby.
The necks are great, good wood, and the pickups are decent for your price range. You can always upgrade that kind of thing later anyway.
My suggestion is to go for the first, the rgr.
If you can stand a trem, go for an RGR1570, they are sexy as hell.
If you need a 7-string, yeah, the only thing in your price range with good quality is that rg7321.

Hope I helped. A little.

Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:04 am
is evil...Evil Joe

The first guitar seems like a gogo.

You CAN'T go wrong with a fixed bridge ibby.
The necks are great, good wood, and the pickups are decent for your price range. You can always upgrade that kind of thing later anyway.
My suggestion is to go for the first, the rgr.
If you can stand a trem, go for an RGR1570, they are sexy as hell.
If you need a 7-string, yeah, the only thing in your price range with good quality is that rg7321.

Hope I helped. A little.

Definately did.

I can stand a tremolo, but the only Ibanez guitars with a good tremolo are Prestige, and at the moment I don't really have much use for the tremolo anyways.

My next guitar will likely be the 1550M, and then a PGM of some sort.

I've decided to rule out the 7321 too, because I have pretty much no use for the extra string at this point in time.

Also, how's the fret and neck finishing on the fixed bridge series? Where are they made?

The only thing I'm worried about are poorly finished fret ends, bad neck wood constructed in a bad way, and a bad fret job (i.e Frets aren't the same high, etc.) My Epiphone Les Paul II has all of the above, and if I run into another guitar remotely similar to it, my head will explode. Not to mention that this guitar I'll own for the next year without a backup, and even then I'd like it to be useful after that.

Again, does anyone know where they're made?

Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:06 am
Viking Kong

The 7321 is made in Indonesia. I would assume the 421EXFM is as well.

Jackson does make fixed bridge models. They don't make any with the gotoh style bridge, but they do have string through body fixed bridge guitars.

Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:34 am
Superhero

I've decided to rule out the 7321 too, because I have pretty much no use for the extra string at this point in time.

What about EEE DGBE / DDD CFAD tuning? :twisted:

Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:20 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]