View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 PG fireman cost $9333.32 
Dr. X

I wouldn't pay over 1100$ for it retail, but that's just me. Ibanez are pricing themselves out of the market this year.

so for a limited edition, first run, very rare and very different guitar with high quality components, you'd pay less than a new pgm301?

$7000 may be a "joke" for a guitar (admittedly i'd never pay that much for a guitar, unless i had all kinds of disposable cash) this guitar obviously isn't for the casual buyer. i think you guys are missing the point.

2002 Gibson SG Spc
1989 Fender Strat w/ Area '61 MIA
1987 Ibanez RG550

Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:44 pm
Superhero

shred_lives1980 wrote:
I wouldn't pay over 1100$ for it retail, but that's just me. Ibanez are pricing themselves out of the market this year.

so for a limited edition, first run, very rare and very different guitar with high quality components, you'd pay less than a new pgm301?

$7000 may be a "joke" for a guitar (admittedly i'd never pay that much for a guitar, unless i had all kinds of disposable cash) this guitar obviously isn't for the casual buyer. i think you guys are missing the point.

Couldn't have said it better myself

PGM301
Laney GH100L > Orange 2x12

Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:28 pm
God Of The Sun

rsmseries wrote:
shred_lives1980 wrote:

+1

Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:47 pm
Godzilla

I don't understand the thinking behind the very limited number (50?), when Ibanez could put the guitar in regular production and sell thousands at a price similar to a Les Paul. I know I would have to have one with HH pups if it could be had for $2500.

Perhaps Ibanez will actually sell all of them quickly @ $7000 a pop, but I have trouble seeing the marketing wisdom.

All in all, I am very happy to see Paul get some much deserved attention, but the offerings this year from Ibanez are pretty weak. The 401 is a nice change from the "long in the tooth" 301, but the 100RE and the Fireman ($9333 list!) are aimed at a very small portion of fans.

Ibanez could have given us the 401, and the 301 with the square neck joint, and HSS pups as production models, the Fireman as the 20th and possibly the much wanted orange PGM and been able to satisfy the majority market.

Being the fan that I am, I would have bought all four of those models (reasonably priced Fireman of course), but now I will just wait and pick up a 401 later this year.

Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:05 pm
is the Siren's Eye

you could always collect info on the fireman (or both of them) and send them to a custom shop for a quote. I would imagine that a reputable builder could get pretty close for a good price (like Chris Woods reproduction of the orange PGM).

Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:55 pm
Dr. X

I don't understand the thinking behind the very limited number (50?), when Ibanez could put the guitar in regular production and sell thousands at a price similar to a Les Paul. I know I would have to have one with HH pups if it could be had for $2500.

Perhaps Ibanez will actually sell all of them quickly @ $7000 a pop, but I have trouble seeing the marketing wisdom.

All in all, I am very happy to see Paul get some much deserved attention, but the offerings this year from Ibanez are pretty weak. The 401 is a nice change from the "long in the tooth" 301, but the 100RE and the Fireman ($9333 list!) are aimed at a very small portion of fans.

Ibanez could have given us the 401, and the 301 with the square neck joint, and HSS pups as production models, the Fireman as the 20th and possibly the much wanted orange PGM and been able to satisfy the majority market.

Being the fan that I am, I would have bought all four of those models (reasonably priced Fireman of course), but now I will just wait and pick up a 401 later this year.

because lets be realistic, how many people other than paul gilbert fans would actually buy one? not many. i took an informal "survey" of a bunch of my guitar player friends and asked them if they like how that guitar looks and suprise suprise, none of them were in love with it (except 1, but he's a PG nerd like we are). that and to make it cheaper, they'd have to water it down, and who wants that?

--

and im totally gonna hijack this thread with a seperate thought, but how many pgm700s did they make and how much did they cost new?

2002 Gibson SG Spc
1987 Ibanez RG550

Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:05 am
Viking Kong

and im totally gonna hijack this thread with a seperate thought, but how many pgm700s did they make and how much did they cost new?

I don't think anyone here knows the exact number. Ibanezrules has one with serial #71. Thats the highest number I have seen. I think thats teh only one I have seen over number 40. There are also a few prototypes out there without serial numbers.

I have no idea what they cost new. All the ones I have seen sell used including the one I own sold for quite a bit less than a new fireman.

Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:13 am
Godzilla

because lets be realistic, how many people other than paul gilbert fans would actually buy one? not many. i took an informal "survey" of a bunch of my guitar player friends and asked them if they like how that guitar looks and suprise suprise, none of them were in love with it (except 1, but he's a PG nerd like we are). that and to make it cheaper, they'd have to water it down, and who wants that?

Since you did not say, I have to assume you are talking about the Fireman. If Ibanez can't produce the Fireman "as is" for a street price of $2500, then they should get out of the guitar business.

Love or hate the looks, there is nothing special going on there in terms of build. That is what really makes the list price so shameful.

I agree that the pickguard and three singles is not the best looking idea, but give me that guitar with a HH and no pickguard. :P

All of this is moot of course, but fun converstation nonetheless.

Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:32 am
Superhero

As much as I don't like strat-like s-s-s guitars, Fireman is better off without hums ;)

Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:47 am
Profile WWW
Dr. X

rsmseries wrote:

Since you did not say, I have to assume you are talking about the Fireman. If Ibanez can't produce the Fireman "as is" for a street price of $2500, then they should get out of the guitar business.

i hear ya man. i mean, i'm sure *technically* they could make the fireman as is at the $2500 street price, but they'd have to sell a ton of units to pay for the r&d and the new (or retooled) c&c (is that what they're called?) machines, etc etc, before they started to make a profit, and i just dont think it'd be a popular enough guitar to do that. yeah, fender can sell the srv lenny guitar for $17000 and still be ok, but how big is SRV compared to PG? and it's a strat (albiet a beautifully recreated replica) that's worn. same with a LP custom '59 reissue. those are classic designs and have more of a market and are more in demand than a fireman

don't get me wrong, i'd love a fireman (SSS!) at $2500, i just dont think it's feasible. but for now, i'll just have to hope i can get a used one in a few years for significantly cheaper :)

i just think it's cool that ibanez gave us 4 new (well, 2 new and 2 reissues, hah) PGMs this year.

2002 Gibson SG Spc
1987 Ibanez RG550

Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:19 am
Promises to use Search button

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fa3OQRu ... re=related :D It's over 9000!!

Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:21 pm
God Of The Sun

Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:58 pm
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:01 pm
Motorman

rsmseries wrote:
shred_lives1980 wrote:

Yippee, it's rare. I play guitars, I don't hang 'em on my wall. Is there anything about this guitar that justifies a 7000$ pricetag? The JEM20TH retailed for about 4400-4800$; that was retarded but this PGM Fireman is something else. Oh well, a fool and his money are soon parted. 8)

I stand by my original post; I wouldn't pay more than 1100$ for a guitar that is essentially a backwards Iceman. Anyway, where are all the guys who said "OMFG, Fireman!!! I'm definitely buying one!!!" ? :lol:

www.myspace.com/shred_lives1980

Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:55 pm
Profile WWW
Godzilla

Also with the Japanese Yen depreciating at a hugely quicker rate to the pound Ibanez will have to charge us more to keep their profits up. Thus the huge price hike.

Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:56 pm
Motorman

Also with the Japanese Yen depreciating at a hugely quicker rate to the pound Ibanez will have to charge us more to keep their profits up. Thus the huge price hike.

Brilliant marketing strategy by Ibanez: "Let's raise prices substantially across the board in a year when nobody has any money! We can't lose!"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

www.myspace.com/shred_lives1980

Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:57 pm
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

I wouldn't have bought it if it was $1000.

To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of the Fireman.

I'd rather have any other PGM guitar.

Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:00 pm
Dr. X

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fa3OQRuMQE&feature=related :D It's over 9000!!

haha. i like this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYDWMSRbAyE

2002 Gibson SG Spc
1987 Ibanez RG550

Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:26 pm
God Of The Sun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:30 pm
Dr. X

sharpant wrote:
rsmseries wrote:
shred_lives1980 wrote:

Yippee, it's rare. I play guitars, I don't hang 'em on my wall. Is there anything about this guitar that justifies a 7000$ pricetag?

if you didn't get that in any of my other posts, i cant help ya ;)
(side note, im the same way. i cringe when i see people buy all kinds of expensive guitars just to keep in a closet. what's the point???!)
Quote:
Anyway, where are all the guys who said "OMFG, Fireman!!! I'm definitely buying one!!!" ? :lol:

which also proves my point ;)

2002 Gibson SG Spc
1987 Ibanez RG550

Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next