View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Interesting discussion, but please delete this (mods). 
Search Button God!

Pao wrote:
JasonK wrote:
Why do Ibanez need to ask us players what we want? They have "experts" that tell them what we want. :roll: --Jason

:lol:

:lol: :lol:

You've got it all wrong. It's all because you're talking about buying gear online. If you actually went to the Ibanez HQ you'd get exactly what you want:

"I want to buy the Orange PGM"
"You mean the 401?"
"No, I mean the ORANGE PGM"
"Are you sure you don't want the 401?"
"Yes I'm su...*Sales guy makes hand gesture*
"These aren't the droids you're looking for"
"These aren't the droids I'm looking for"
"You want to buy the PGM401 with a hardshell case, a strap and a set of Ibanez pickups for $8000.
"I want to buy the PGM401 with a hardshell case, a strap and a set of Ibanez pickups for $8000.

"Here you go"
"Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted..."

:wink:

Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:48 pm
Godzilla

ReXiX wrote:
Pao wrote:
JasonK wrote:
Why do Ibanez need to ask us players what we want? They have "experts" that tell them what we want. :roll: --Jason

You've got it all wrong. It's all because you're talking about buying gear online. If you actually went to the Ibanez HQ you'd get exactly what you want:

"You mean the 401?"
"You want to buy the PGM401 with a hardshell case, a strap and a set of Ibanez pickups for $8000.
"I want to buy the PGM401 with a hardshell case, a strap and a set of Ibanez pickups for $8000.

"Here you go"

Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:53 pm
Godzilla

ReXiX wrote:
Pao wrote:
JasonK wrote:

"You mean the 401?"

"Here you go"

Rofl, brilliant. The only way you could have made that better was to include the Fresh Prince theme. Utterly brilliant. :lol:

Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:12 pm
Godzilla

I sold a some guitars so that I'd have a few grand for the new PGMs anounced at NAMM, but if this is what is being offered I'll keep the money and try and fish out a couple of earlier PGMs instead.

I'm one of the people that actually puts their money where their mouth is with this kind of thing. For example, I bought an RG20th when they first came out (and got another later,) then I bought both of the RG770DX's when they came out too. I'm slap-bang in the middle of Ibanez' target demographic when it comes to these kind of models and I'm a HUGE fan of Paul's. Now take all that into consideration and the fact that I specifically set aside money to buy these new models (not just because I usually love Ibanez but because I want to support Paul!) Ibanez *will not* get a penny from me, a hardcore enthusiast with the money to spend on their product. Why? Because not only are the models mind-numbingly boring from an aesthetic point of view, but to charge as much as they have for a fixed bridge guitar that only has a regular rosewood fretboard with dots is just pathetic. The main reasoning that the Jems were always much higher price-wise than the other models was not just because of Vai's name, but because the hardware and production cost more (floating trem, vine inlays, etc.) these have NONE of that, so why the hike in price? You can only blame the strong Yen partially. Capitalising on Paul's recent popularity increase is smart, but to set the price on this guitar this high is ridiculous. My only concern is that Ibanez lose faith in selling more than one PGM model in the future due to the lack of sales, because lord know's they won't blame the fact that the guitar is boring.

Sorry for the rant guys, I just hope that they've kept the actual PGM20th a complete secret and that it's as cool as the PGM10th and PGM90HAM.

Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:08 pm
Dr. X

Christ on a crutch! Why should Ibanez ask any of us what a SIGNATURE model should look like?

Ibanez: "Hey Paul, this new PGM 401 you've designed looks pretty cool, but we're going to poll the customer base and see what they want."

Paul: "Ummm...but it's my signature model. Doesn't that mean that I get to basically design the thing?"

Ibanez: "Yes, indeed. But we've seen several strong opinions on the Internet and think that maybe your fanbase should get the final say in what hits the market. But we'll put your name on it of course!"

Not saying you can't dislike the 401, but putting the whole thing up for a public vote is kinda goofy.

Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:29 am
Godzilla

Because he's had numerous other signature models that most people would prefer to this one and at the end of the day if Ibanez want it to sell it's got to be a model THE PUBLIC will buy, regardless of who plays or designs it.

I bet you can count on your fingers the amount of people that will actually buy one of these with the sole reason being to support Paul, so you're looking at people who will actually like the guitar. It's the ultimate in-between guitar: it's classic-looking, yet has painted F-holes (and probably a skinny neck which your average tobacco-sunburst guitar player will hate) and unless it's an insanely well-built guitar (like the 10ths) it's not going to catch people outside of his fan base since nobody will be willing to throw their cash into a high price guitar when there are alternatives out there that are either less expensive or are just flat-out better guitars.

Trust me, I'd love to see it do well just for Paul, but this was the wrong guitar to release or at the very least it was at this price point and I know for a fact that I'm not the only one that feels that way.

Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:50 am
Superhero

If they had a farking email -.-

Wait... DO THEY??

Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:52 am
God Of The Sun

Location: it ain´t good for your <3 to be mad at the world! (Sweden)

Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:01 pm
Profile WWW
Godzilla

Bugging Paul about it probably isn't fair to the guy.

There's no sense worrying about it now anyway because what's done is done. I just needed to vent because I sold some pretty sweet guitars to raise funds and they went and put these out. Lesson learnt.

I'm not a fan of the Fireman, but I've got to say it's a cool and pretty innovative guitar. I think if it's not priced stupidily it could probably be a decent seller since it's one of those guitars that can hit on all but the most extreme styles.

Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:43 pm
Dr. X

Because he's had numerous other signature models that most people would prefer to this one and at the end of the day if Ibanez want it to sell it's got to be a model THE PUBLIC will buy, regardless of who plays or designs it.

I bet you can count on your fingers the amount of people that will actually buy one of these with the sole reason being to support Paul, so you're looking at people who will actually like the guitar. It's the ultimate in-between guitar: it's classic-looking, yet has painted F-holes (and probably a skinny neck which your average tobacco-sunburst guitar player will hate) and unless it's an insanely well-built guitar (like the 10ths) it's not going to catch people outside of his fan base since nobody will be willing to throw their cash into a high price guitar when there are alternatives out there that are either less expensive or are just flat-out better guitars.

Let's forget the f-holes for a second, because they've been a feature of every PG model out there. If they were hampering marketability, something probably would've been done about it by now. Besides, there are lots of people who poo themselves over the thought of owning a vintage Gretsch Country Gent or Tennessean, and they have painted f-holes too.

And as for the "average tobacco-sunburst guitar player"...is there one? Some form of sunburst finish has been applied to nearly every kind of guitar out there, from big jazzboxes to Harmony pawnshop specials to the Ibanez Artist and Rocket Roll series.

See, the in-between thing is what I think makes it work for a broader audience. It's readily identifiable as an Ibanez (and I don't mean just by looking at the headstock), but it's got a classic look that a lot of players are drawn to. Plus, it doesn't sound as though it's built solely for shredding. The pickup selection (if it is indeed the Air Classic) is certainly not geared towards output and gain, and I think that has a lot of potential for wide appeal. I think this is a model that most non-shred types would be more likely to investigate than most of the RG, JEM, EGEN and even S models.

At the same time, I understand your frustration with unloading a whole lot of gear to pay for a guitar you're finding out you're not that into :(

Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:05 am
Superhero

yeah, emailing paul..probably isn't the best idea. He probably has had his input for it (positively) and I think it's better to keep it on the forums.

Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:58 am
Dr. X

the notion that the general public should have a say in what an artist's signature guitar will be is utterly ridiculous.

Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:55 am
Profile WWW
Godzilla

the notion that the general public should have a say in what an artist's signature guitar will be is utterly ridiculous.

Hardly, considering the whole point of signature gear is to drive sales.

Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:44 am
Search Button God!

He can have any model he wants. All he has to do is call Ibanez and say "hey can you guys make me a pink pgm with gold hardware, yellow fholes and a picture of Ghandi on the back?" and that's it. But when you're making a signature series you better come up with something that the general public will want to buy.

hint: ORANGE PGM!

;)

Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:44 pm
Dr. X

Look, you guys better talk a little more quiet or Ibanez will make a black PGM just for spite. :P

Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:54 pm
Superhero

I havnt heard of a single person who actually wants the 401 which is quite worrying

The only Ibanez i would buy would either be if they reissued the rocket roll II's or one of the hollowbody artists, like paul has.

Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:58 pm
Viking Kong

Not everybody is as knowledgeable about Pauls guitars as we are here on this board. I think it will sell fine. Features wise it doesn't look too bad. It probably is a good sounding guitar. Everyone's passing judgment on a guitar that they have not seen in person or played yet. Maybe it will look better in person. Maybe it will play and sound amazing and convince you to get one.

Paul has many more fans than us here on the Racer X board. Many of them don't know anything about the change in neck dimensions a few years back, and they don't really care about it either. We tend to get hung up more on the little details than the general public. If they like the new guitar it will sell fine. If its discontinued for 2010 then we can say it wasn't popular, and didn't sell well. Who knows maybe it will do well and Ibanez will continue making them for a few years. From the way you guys keep talking about it it seems like this might be one of the least popular PGM models of all time. I'd probably take the least popular PGM over many other guitars that are available. The 900 isn't the most popular model, but personally its one of my favorites it plays and sounds amazing.

I am a little disappointed in the choice of finish. I would have preferred to see something else. As far as the general specs I have no problem with it. Its Pauls guitar he can have them make whatever he wants. If my budget allowed I probably would put money down and preorder one myself.

Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:52 pm
Dr. X

He can have any model he wants. All he has to do is call Ibanez and say "hey can you guys make me a pink pgm with gold hardware, yellow fholes and a picture of Ghandi on the back?"

I'd buy that.

Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:05 pm
Dr. X

Pewtershmit wrote:

Hardly, considering the whole point of signature gear is to drive sales.

Right, but it's supposed to drive sales by offering the public a chance to own the same (or extremely close replica) of the kind of guitar an artist plays with all of their personalized tweaks.

Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:15 pm
Superhero

He can have any model he wants. All he has to do is call Ibanez and say "hey can you guys make me a pink pgm with gold hardware, yellow fholes and a picture of Ghandi on the back?" and that's it. But when you're making a signature series you better come up with something that the general public will want to buy.

hint: ORANGE PGM!

;)

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Agreement!

Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4