View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 First time touching the Truss Rod 
Superhero

Post First time touching the Truss Rod
My pgm301 has a big intonation problem, mostly due to the neck making more of a U shape than a _ shape, or upside down U shape. AKA the action is high, and the what will fix that and the intonation is a quick truss rod fix.

I've tried adjusting the bridge, I can only get so much. It's really a truss rod issue.

Anyways.

Anyone know what mm tool I will need?
which way do I turn it?
I've heard to start at an 8th of a turn. Correct?

Anything else I should be aware or careful of??

Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:24 pm
Dr. X

ok if the neck looks like a rainbow, then u have too much back bow, possibly due to switching to lighter strings or climate change. to correct this, u must loosen the truss rod, turning it counter clockwise.
if the neck looks like a U, then you need to do the opposite, but A LITTLE CURVATURE IS OK. the neck on my pgm301 is completely straight but that is just personal preference.
MAKE THESE ADJUSTMENTS IN SMALL INCREMENTS. The most ive ever done at one time is a 1/4 turn, then let it sit.

after that adjust ur action by the allen screws at the bridge.

To correct intonation, use the screws at the back of the bridge.
Test each string by playing the string open, then at the 12th fret (or 24th).
these should have the same pitch.
i always forget which way to turn the screws but once u figure that out u can do the rest.

good luck. hope this helped.

Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:04 pm
Profile WWW
Dr. X

Sounds like you need to tighten the rod. First check the relief of the neck to make sure you don't have a bigger problem. Hold down the low E string at the first fret and also at the fret where the neck joins the body. Then look around the 7th-9th fret area. If the string is high off the frets in that area, you need to tighten the rod. If it is lying on the frets, you probably need a neck shim.

Assuming you just need to tighten the rod, here's what you do. If you're looking down the neck from the headstock, you need to turn it to the right. Go an eighth of a turn at a time, retune and check the relief as described above by holding down at the 1st fret, etc. You probably want to get to the point where the strings are just a hair above the frets at the 7th-9th when you check the relief.

If the relief is ok and you still have intonation problems, you need to adjust the bridge saddles.

Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:07 pm
Dr. X

To correct intonation, use the screws at the back of the bridge.
Test each string by playing the string open, then at the 12th fret (or 24th).
these should have the same pitch.
i always forget which way to turn the screws but once u figure that out u can do the rest.
good luck. hope this helped.

Before you do this, you need to make sure the open string is perfectly in tune. Then, if the note at the 12th fret is sharp, you need to move the bridge saddle back (away from the neck) because the sharp note means that the distance from the 12th fret to the saddle is too short. If the note at the 12th fret is flat, the distance is too long and you have to move the saddle forward (towards the neck).

Last edited by frankenstone on Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:10 pm
Superhero

I know some people like a little stress in their necks, but this is a LOT.

Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]