View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 PGM301 - Old necks. Worth it? Halp! 
Superhero

Post PGM301 - Old necks. Worth it? Halp!
I have small hands.

Okay. Now that we're done chuckling. I don't have ridiculously small hands, I can do the scarified business slowly.

With that outta the way, What are the differences in the necks in the 301? I have a pretty limited education of this model. I know that in ?04? they changed to different dimension necks. What are the differences? Which would be better for me?

P.S. Should I get a new PGM301 with full warranty for 1k USD or 850 no warranty used from 04 with this (thinner?) neck?

Preemptive Thanks!!!!

Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:00 pm
Promises to use Search button

I didnt know there was that much of a difference between the 04 and 0 7

Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:46 pm
Viking Kong

Personally I would get the older one as long as it is in good condition. It is cheaper. I have bought all of my PGM's used and have never had any problems with any of them. I also know I like the older neck.

I haven't spent much time with any newer Ibanez guitars with the prestige profile necks, so I have no opinion on the updated profile. It probably would not bother me too much since I regularly switch between multiple guitars with different profiles, but I can't say for sure. The biggest difference is that they are 2mm wider at the last fret. To some people it is noticeable, and they don't like it.

Old profile
Width at nut - 43mm
Width last fret - 56mm
Thickness 1st Fret - 17mm (or 18mm)
Thickness 12th Fret -20mm
Radius - 430mm

New profile
Width at nut - 43mm
Width last fret - 58mm
Thickness 1st Fret - 18mm
Thickness 12th Fret -20mm
Radius - 430mm

Its not a huge difference between the two neck profiles. I'm sure you could get used to either one. If you can find a newer Ibanez at a store with the prestige profile play it and see if you like the neck profile. Every player is different and what will work best could be different for each one. It will come down to personal preference for which one you would like the best.

Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:03 pm

Interesting.. It would be near impossible for me to tell the difference, we are talking less than 2mm difference.

Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:40 am
Viking Kong

While 2mm itself might not seem like much difference, you have to consider that the extra width at the last fret effects over half the total length of the neck. I really start to notice the difference in taper at about the 9th fret. It just doesn't feel right to me. All that being said, if you're new to Ibanez necks, you probably won't notice any difference at all. But, if you're used to old school, original Wizard Ibanez necks, you're more than likely going to notice the extra width.

Personally, I'd go for the 04' because of the old neck profile. It being cheaper is just icing on the cake. --Jason

Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:00 am

well said.. and my 04 pgm is in showroom condition, its pristine. Someone buy it!!!!!

Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:36 am
Superhero

Well shred, I'm considering it much more now. One issue I have with..well...technical difficulties is of course than fast bit at the end of each chorus, descending. The last two strings are really a bitch to do those 3nps licks. So the 2mm less might really help me.

Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:11 pm

sounds good, keep in mind the guitar is still for sale locally, and on 3 other forums. The first person willing to fork over the cash takes the cake.

Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]