View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Halp! 
Superhero

Post Halp!
Most of you I'm gonna assume know my story, but if you don't go check out "I'm leaving my rig decisions up to you RXB" and "the crate V series"

Here's my dilemma. I'm SO close to getting this pgm301 for only $975. But now I'm getting a little discouraged, because I've been thinking about 3 things.

The neck is a little thicker than the Wiz II, which is a good amount thicker than the S series "starter" guitar I'm using now ( an ibanez gio, gsa60)

The ibanez website (that has all the dimensions now) Lists the pgm neck as having the SAME dimensions as the Wizard II!!! compare!! what the heck?

Lastly, the reviews at harmony central have made the pgm301 look like a chancy guitar to buy.
So in case you didn't go read those threads, I'm looking for an ibanez HSH (preferably, looked at HH coil tapped though) 24 frets jumbo fretaruni's, wizard II, RG body, FIXED BRIDGE.

Before I even looked at the pgm, I looked at the rgr1570 which is PERFECT except the stupid edge pro trem. So amid all the other questions I asked, here's my question. Is the edge pro a hassle like the licensed floyd I used my on my only jackson DKMG? Is it as much of a tone/sustain hurter? Is it difficult to change action? I'm asking because if i can get a pgm301 for $975, I can only imagine what this guy will give me for an rgr1570.

Halp!!! Thanks for reading everything. Really helps me out.

Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:35 pm
Viking Kong

The PGM neck is not much thicker than the wizard II. It is 1mm thicker at the 1st fret, and 1mm smaller at the 12th. I doubt you would notice much of a difference. However the 301 is 2mm wider at the last fret. That is noticeable to some people.

The Ibanez USA website lists the PGM profile having the same specs as the Wizard prestige profile. That is the same profile that is on the RGR1570 you mentioned. If you like the neck on the RGR1570 the PGM is the same except it has a maple fretboard.

Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:52 pm
Superhero

Is the wizard II less quality than the wizard prestige?

What the heck does "radius" mean? I know what a radius is, and I can look at their diagrams, but for instance, the ibanez rg321(fixed bridge) has a radius of 400mm, vs the pgm and rg 430mm.

thanks again!

Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:56 pm
Viking Kong

Woo! okay and I just checked...

Is the wizard II less quality than the wizard prestige?

What the heck does "radius" mean? I know what a radius is, and I can look at their diagrams, but for instance, the ibanez rg321(fixed bridge) has a radius of 400mm, vs the pgm and rg 430mm.

thanks again!

The guitars with the wizard prestige profile are higher end models that are made in japan. The guitars with the wizard II are probably made in korea or some other country. I wouldn't say it is a lower quality neck.

Radius refers to the curvature of the fretboard. If you draw a circle with a 400mm and a 430 mm radius and cut them to the width of the fretboard you would have the radius of the fretboard. The 430mm radius is slightly less curved then the 400mm radius.

Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:06 pm
Viking Kong

The necks on the PGM301 is actually thinner than a Wizard II, not thicker. The Wizard II is 19mm at the 1st fret, and PGM (and Prestige Wizards) are 18mm.

It would depend on what model the Wizard II is on. There are tons of MIJ RGs with Wizard II's on them. Their quality of material and workmanship is as good as anything new.

The neck profile on 05' and newer 301s are identical to what's on the rgr1570 (and any other 05' and newer rg15XX series and higher Ibanez RG with a "prestige" neck.). So, if you like that neck, you're good to go.

--Jason

Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:28 pm
Superhero

Thanks everyone! great response time too :P

All I gotta decide now is if the edge pro is worth it..
And if the V8 V7 and S1 are for me.
Will the pickups get me a good sound for all gilbertian?
Will the edge pro be difficult? kill sustain?

thanks..aaaaagain.

EDIT: and just to add, I was very unawares that fretboards were curved in the first place! Are we talking, like, back of the neck? where my left hand is? Or are we really talking about the FRETboard??

Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:02 am
Viking Kong

Myself, I HATE the edge pro. I had a guitar with one, and couldn't get rid of it fast enough. The saddles are their weak point. They are prone to split if you overtighten them the slightest little bit. They also have plastic string ball end retainers. (which also are prone to break.) I think the plastic sucks, absorbs, sustain away from the bridge. On top of all of that, I think it looks terrible. It's humped. Instead of the back of it being parallel with the top of the guitar body, it follows the curve of the fretboard. Did I mention how much I hate these tremolos?

The fretboard radius is the fretted side. If you look across the neck of your guitar, you'll see the frets are in an arc, not perfectly flat. That's the fretboard radius. The flatter the radius, the easier bends are higher up on the fretboard.

As far as the pickups go. It's all relative. What sounds great to some, is going to sound like ass to others. The V series pickups aren't bad. But, I think Dimarzios are better. Your amp has a lot to do with the overall sound as well. --Jason

Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:27 am
Superhero

hehe. okay. that's 1 against the edge pro.

any others??

And would those parts be replaceable?

Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:39 am
Dr. X

if the edge pro is the trem on my 1994 pgm300, then i too am opposed to it. not so much for lack of sustain, but for not staying in tune. the trem would not always return to its normal position, which i would have to carefully find. hence the reason i had mine blocked :D

Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:47 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

if the edge pro is the trem on my 1994 pgm300, then i too am opposed to it. not so much for lack of sustain, but for not staying in tune. the trem would not always return to its normal position, which i would have to carefully find. hence the reason i had mine blocked :D

The edge pro wasn't introduced until 2003. A 94 300 should have the lo pro edge.

I've never owned a guitar with an edge pro so I can't comment on it. I only have experience with the original edge and the lo pro edge, and the lo-trs II.

Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:57 am
Superhero

Are there any easy mods to do to the edge pro to make it better?

Is blocking it a viable option?
What's this lockings studs mod business?

Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:08 am
Viking Kong

Are there any easy mods to do to the edge pro to make it better?

Is blocking it a viable option?
What's this lockings studs mod business?

Blocking is an option. Overall this trem is still much like a floyd rose and can be blocked in the same way.

Locking studs help provide better tuning stability. On older models with the Edge and Lo Pro edge trem the studs had a set screw to fasten the posts to the anchor. If the set screw is tightened the posts are less likely to move. At some point Ibanez stopped using the set screw. The stud provides the pivot point for the trem and a stud that's allowed to move will not always return to the exact spot causing tuning to be slightly out after whammy use.

Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]