View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Help! String buzzing/ringing problem on my pgm301 
Dr. X

Post Help! String buzzing/ringing problem on my pgm301
ok so my pgm301 finally came today (got it off ebay). i immediately noticed the action was high so i replaced the .10's with .09's and lowered the action. i cant get the action as low as my pgm300 without some buzzing. Mainly...on the g string, even when it is played open there is this odd ringing noise like when u play to notes very close in pitch. thereforethe action on the g string is much higher. i dont know if the truss rod needs to be adjusted or if the problem is at the nut or what...but any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks guys.

Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:36 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

is the guitar new? If not, it might need new frets...but some guys on here know more than I do about this stuff.

Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:40 am
Dr. X

its used but its a 2006. the ringing occurs even when i play the g string open . that is more of a concern that the buzzing.

Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:42 am
Profile WWW
is evil...Evil Joe

If the problem is only on an open string then it could be that the nut is cut too low. A good repair guy should be able to fill the nut slot and re-file it.

If the notes don't ring well at the first 4 or 5 frets then it is most likely there is a slight bow. To remedy this loosen the truss rod slightly to add a bit of relief to the neck.

Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:28 am
God Of The Sun

Location: it ain´t good for your <3 to be mad at the world! (Sweden)

Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:45 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

If the guitar was set up for 10's, and you put 9's on it, the truss rod is more than likely going to need to be adjusted. Sight down the neck, and if it's convexed (slightly rainbow shaped), losen the truss rod. Go in small incriments. No more than 1/8 - 1/4 turn at a time. --Jason

Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:03 pm
Dr. X

thanks guys. when i changed gauges i corrected the intonation so that isnt the issue. the buzz is very minor and doesnt occur till about the 12th fret. the main problem is this ringing sound that the g string makes after any note played on that string. i looked down the neck and from what i see it has no bow at all, it is completely straight. should it have a slight u shaped bow?

Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:54 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

Some people put some slight relief in their necks. Myself, I like to get them as straight as possible for consistant string height all over the neck. Another possibility is that the G slot is slightly oversized. You could try putting a small piece of paper under the string to see if the ringing goes away. --Jason

Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:25 pm
Dr. X

alright i tried screwing with the truss rod (minor adjustments) and it didnt help. ill just take it down to the local shop. they usually dont charge me for anything. and ill try the paper thing. one thing i noticed is that the nut height on my 301 is slightly higher than that of my 300... i dont know if this would have anything to do with changing setup. but i want my 301 to play as well as or better than my 300.

Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:51 am
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

Some people put some slight relief in their necks. Myself, I like to get them as straight as possible for consistant string height all over the neck. Another possibility is that the G slot is slightly oversized. You could try putting a small piece of paper under the string to see if the ringing goes away. --Jason

I have heard that you should leave em tilting allitle bit angled, but you keep em straight?

Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:38 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

Some people swear by having some relief in their necks. I don't. It's one of the personal preference things I guess. I always try to keep the necks as stright as possible. A shim at the butt of the neck will give you your angle. I try to get the neck parallel with the strings. So it runs at the same angle that the strings do when they come off the bridge. That way you've got even, low action all across the fretboard.

--Jason

Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:43 pm
Godzilla

You'd be amazed at the difference a good fret level and crown can do for your action.

Treat yourself, go and get the works off a decent tech (full setup, frets dressed, etc.) you'll be glad you did :)

(Totally agree with Jason by the way, that's how I set my guitars always.)

Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:47 pm
Dr. X

hey i did some more adjustments with the truss rod. i tightened it and made the neck almost perfectly straight. this got rid of the buzzing and allowed for lower action. thanks for the advice jason!! the only problem left is the input jack which is constantly losing contact with the cord or someting... but my main problem is solved. thanks everyone =]
and unlike many people i actually prefer the newer pgm301 neck to that on of my pgm300.

Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:12 pm
Profile WWW
Superhero

hey i did some more adjustments with the truss rod. i tightened it and made the neck almost perfectly straight. this got rid of the buzzing and allowed for lower action. thanks for the advice jason!! the only problem left is the input jack which is constantly losing contact with the cord or someting... but my main problem is solved. thanks everyone =]
and unlike many people i actually prefer the newer pgm301 neck to that on of my pgm300.

Glad you got it worked out. You can send the 300 to me....lol.
I love the old profile.

Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:47 am
Superhero

im having such a hard time adjusting my fucking trussrod right now on my pgm301. from the 1st fret to the 12th fret its fine but after that i hear a lot of fret buzzing. the saddle is not even that low. what should i do?

Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:21 am
God Of The Sun

im having such a hard time adjusting my fucking trussrod right now on my pgm301. from the 1st fret to the 12th fret its fine but after that i hear a lot of fret buzzing. the saddle is not even that low. what should i do?

intonation and spring tension?

Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:29 am
Profile WWW
Dr. X

same problem here gatxman. my good setup was temporary. after a day it went back to being terrible. it got to the point that i just decided to take it in... i think it was a good decision considering me and truss rods aren't best friends.

Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:42 pm
Profile WWW
Superhero

same problem here gatxman. my good setup was temporary. after a day it went back to being terrible. it got to the point that i just decided to take it in... i think it was a good decision considering me and truss rods aren't best friends.

+1.

Im taking it to andy brauer in a week or so.

Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:57 pm
Motorman

Ive also got some nasty buzz on my E, A and D strings. The 3 thinnest are fine and has got less than 2 mm action. The troubly ones have like 3-4 mm of action and buzzes at every fret. My relief is about 1 mm all over.

I use 9-42's. Would it buzz less with 9-46's. Or maybe 10-52's?

Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:59 pm
Profile WWW
is evil...Evil Joe

Fret the 1st and the 24th fret on the E string and use a metal rule to measure the distance between the top of the 9th fretwire to the bottom of the string. your going to want 0.5mm or more. If its too much then tighten the truss rod a quarter turn. it its too close then loosen the truss a quarter turn. WAIT A WEEK BEFORE MAKING ANYMORE ADJUSTMENTS! repeat!

after

take a metal rule and measure from the top of the 24th fretwire on the E and the e strings to the bottom of the strings. your going to want 2.0mm or more on the E and 1.8mm or more on the e. make sure u loosen the set screws and then adjust the trem post. after u adjust the trem post remember to tighten the set screws so the trem posts never move around on you.

You should not have any buzz anywhere on the neck and the string will be low enough to still pull off terrifying shred guitar.

If it is buzzing you might need new frets but a 2006 frets will be thick for a LONG time.

If the neck is totally warped to shit you can ship it to ibanez and they will send you a new one. But you have to pay the shipping there and back.

Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:00 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next