View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Paul's PGM 300 Fixed Bridge Conversion 
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Post Paul's PGM 300 Fixed Bridge Conversion
Alright guys. So i've been playing with a floyd rose for almost exactly 2 years.. and i'm SICK of them!!!!! So I made this thread for two reasons. I plan on getting either my PGM 300 or my PGM 100 converted to a fixed bridge. Or maybe someday both? I don't know yet. But when I take it to get converted I want to be able to tell them how I want it to be done. And make sure it has a correct bridge and everything. Soo 2 questions..

for PGM and guitar experts:

do you have any idea how Paul converted his PGM 300? Do you know what bridge, nut, etc. i'd need for the conversion?

and for everyone else:

should I get my 100 converted? It's the love of my life. I never plan on getting rid of it ever. So losing value doesn't mean anything to me. But do you think it'd look good with a fixed bridge?

Help me out please, i trust you dudez :)

Wed May 28, 2008 11:45 pm
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

if u want a fixed bridge buy one...my 100 was my life, i hate floyds, so i sold her...someone will want it in its orifinal form (ME!!!)

get a 400 FUCKIN A!

Thu May 29, 2008 1:26 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

You shouldn't need another nut. You can order a GTC101 bridge from Ibanez if you want it to match the rest of the hardware on the 300. If not you can also use the equivalent gotoh bridge.

There is a good tutrotial with lots of pictures of one way to do a trem to hardtail conversion on project guitar.com http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/tht1.htm

I personally prefer fixed bridges, and will probably be getting my RG750 and PGM300 converted when I get then refinished. I think the 100 would look great as a fixed bridge guitar.

Thu May 29, 2008 1:28 am
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Sorry missmisstreater but both these guitars will never leave me. I will continue to rock them and wear them until either the day they are unplayable or the day I die.

justice thanks. I'm not planning on doing this myself. I'm going to take it to a professional. I just don't wanna show and be like uhhhhh idk what to do. If I get the bridge they'll know what to do shouldn't they? I hope so.

well heres some pics I made for the 100. It's really hard! I like them both and can't choose one I like better.. but I do plan on playing the 100 forever.. so if I don't do it now I'm sure I will some day.

but what do you guys think?

thanks to gatxman for the link. :)

Thu May 29, 2008 2:03 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

It would look the best if you are refinishing the whole body. If not it probably will not be an invisible modification. On Pauls 300 and the dino RG it just looks like the cavities are filled with wood and painted a similar color to the rest of the body. Then a hardtail bridge is installed.

Another option if you just don't want the hassle of having a trem any more is to block it with pieces of wood or other hard objects so it doesn't move. Or installing a tremol-no so you can lock and unlock the trem whenever you want. http://www.allparts.com/store/bridge-parts-miscellaneous-bridge-parts-bp-2005-010,Product.asp

Thu May 29, 2008 2:38 am
Godzilla

It will cost you less headache, and potentially less money to just have a new body cut, and painted. That way you can always go back, or even sell the original bodies.

http://homepage.mac.com/bigvelvetdog/Gu ... aster.html

Thu May 29, 2008 2:54 am
Viking Kong

I agree. While a conversion is reversable, it'd be a pain in the ass. A new body would save you a ton of time and aggravation.

If I was going to convert one though, I'd do the 300. --Jason

Thu May 29, 2008 3:09 am
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Yeah I am going to do the 300. But like I said since i'm getting it professionally done I won't be getting any headaches or anything just a wallet ache. :P And yeah the 300 is my favorite to play but i've worn the frets so badly that it needs a fret dress or maybe even a refret. So yeah when I get that done I also want to get it converted.

Anyone know an approximate price to get it converted? Over 300?

Thu May 29, 2008 3:52 am
Profile WWW
Motorman

get a tremol-no play with th trem still on but have all the benefits of a fixed

and if ever one day you get wild you can unlock it do a whammy scream

get bored a lock it back into fixed

Thu May 29, 2008 3:53 am
Profile YIM
Motorman

Here's the gotoh bridge you want: http://www.bestguitarparts.com/guitar-p ... Bridge.htm

Thu May 29, 2008 4:53 am
Viking Kong

Anyone know an approximate price to get it converted? Over 300?

I think it depends on how you want it done. Do you want the seamless, "can't ever tell it was there" version. Or, the Paul Gilbert,"let's chuck a piece of wood in there, somewhat match the paint, and rock out hardtail style" version? Are you also including the cost of the bridge in that price, or are you figuring it and the ferrules extra? --Jason

Thu May 29, 2008 2:27 pm
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Or, the Paul Gilbert,"let's chuck a piece of wood in there, somewhat match the paint, and rock out hardtail style"

This one. :)

and I'm not figuring the cost of the bridge. Just the cost of having it done. Is that GTC bridge the same one Paul has in his "301"?

The tremo no thing wouldn't solved my problems. My biggest aggrivation with my floyds is the tuning. I like to change tunings often and using my epiphone sg to play COB isn't fun.

Thu May 29, 2008 6:44 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

The tremo no thing wouldn't solved my problems. My biggest aggrivation with my floyds is the tuning. I like to change tunings often and using my epiphone sg to play COB isn't fun.

Actually it would. If you tighten down the screws the trem no longer moves. You can keep the nut unlocked and tune it like you would any hard tail guitar.

Thu May 29, 2008 7:07 pm
Motorman

the tremol-no is a great little device and its not as expensive as the approach you are taking

I have my PGM30 with a tremol-no and have it locked down, removed the locking nuts and it stays in tune just like a fixed bridge

if you go to http://tremol-no.com/ you can check out some vids

one has him cutting the string with wire cutters and it stays in tune

so definitely think about it before you make the big decision

Thu May 29, 2008 9:18 pm
Profile YIM
Viking Kong

Yes, the GTC101 is the bridge Paul has on his 300. (The GTC102 is the same bridge, only with steel saddles instead of brass)

I'm not trying to talk you out of doing the conversion, but blocking the bridge would pretty much accomplish the same thing. The secret to getting it perfect, is cutting a piece of wood for the back and front sides of the tremolo block. Put the front piece (toward the springs) in first, tighten the screws on the spring claw, then cut another piece and wedge it in on the back side of the spring block. If you do it this way, the tremolo absolutely can't move at all. Not even during string changes. You'd also have full use of the fine tuners on the tremolo if you did this. You might try it before you send the guitar off for more expensive mods. --Jason

Thu May 29, 2008 9:47 pm
Superhero

Yes, the GTC101 is the bridge Paul has on his 300. (The GTC102 is the same bridge, only with steel saddles instead of brass)

I'm not trying to talk you out of doing the conversion, but blocking the bridge would pretty much accomplish the same thing. The secret to getting it perfect, is cutting a piece of wood for the back and front sides of the tremolo block. Put the front piece (toward the springs) in first, tighten the screws on the spring claw, then cut another piece and wedge it in on the back side of the spring block. If you do it this way, the tremolo absolutely can't move at all. Not even during string changes. You'd also have full use of the fine tuners on the tremolo if you did this. You might try it before you send the guitar off for more expensive mods. --Jason

Yup...

I have my RG550 done the same way. Cheap cheap cheap

Thu May 29, 2008 10:40 pm
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Wow I watched the vids. And I like it! A lot. I'm going to order one today. Actually I'm going to order 2. :) I'd still like to get my 300 converted someday, but that's when I have lots of disposable income. This is great guys thanks and sorry I looked past it at first.

But first let me get this straight because in the vids they only tune with the fine tuners. With the tremol-no I can I can change tunings between standard tuning, half/full/2 steps down? With the tuning keys and things will be fine?

Thu May 29, 2008 11:17 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

As long as the tremno-lo is locked and the bridge does not move you should be able to tune however you like with the tuning keys on the headstock.

Thu May 29, 2008 11:21 pm
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Awesome. And thanks to everyone I'll be ordering two. 8)

I <3 This Board

Fri May 30, 2008 12:32 am
Profile WWW
Superhero

Awesome. And thanks to everyone I'll be ordering two. 8)

I <3 This Board

and we love you, ahahah :D

Fri May 30, 2008 1:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next