View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 speed reviews 
Motorman

Post speed reviews
I have another place on the net where i write up a paragraph on every CD that hits my desk. May as well post them here too.

4/4 AWESOME!!
3/4 GREAT!
2/4 good
1/4 ok
0/4 crap

Uli Jon Roth - Metamorphosis 2004
I’ve been waiting a looong time for some guitar virtuoso to attempt Vilvaldi’s Four Seasons on electric guitar. I can’t think of anyone else who i would’ve heard it from more than Uli. This is absolutely incredible!! He stays true to the classical masters intrepretation and sizzles! AND in addition he creates his own movement: Metamophosis which is 11 songs in it’s own right. A guitar instrumental must with orchestra! Fuckin’ A!
4/4 AWESOME!!

Requiem - Mask of Damnation 2004
Progressive power metal from Finland with blazing 160bpm tunes, extended guitar soloing, complicated song structures, and a hint of overall cheese, but damn it has balls! Apparently, when the band started out, they had more of a "Melodic Death Metal" thing going on, so that sort of explains why they still have such a powerful bottom end (courtesy of Jari Huttunen) and polished musicians to smack you on your ass.
3/4 GREAT!

Joe Stump’s Dark Gifts - Rare and Unreleased Tracks 2002
All instrumental studio and live tracks of Joe Stump before he signed with Leviathan Records. These tracks just shred all the way through. Serious shredding! A couple blusy tunes and many Yngwie inspired tracks. The drums sound like a basketball being dribbled in a parking garage. Still good melodies and shredding hell.
3/4 GREAT!

Tony Borg - Tony Borg 1992
Who the hell is this? Instrumental hard rock from the guitarist in Alien. Pleasing melodies but 2 strikes take this out of the player. First the guy is not at all skilled enough to have an instrumental CD. It is all so safe and the solos, when there are any, are wimpy and weak. It also is very dated sounding. I was bored and the cover alone was enough to get me cringing. I couldn’t find it but this will do: Harder, Faster, Louder it isn’t. Want it?
1/4 ok

MZ - Next World Will Be Yours 2001
A French instrumental progmetal band with some themes, harpsichord, restful guitar and quite a bit of electronic music. Melody and classical influences abound on this album. A refreshing break from the guitar god territory i am used to. On the verge of being boring but the tempos, changes and spacey sounds entertain.
http://www.cs.uu.nl/people....rs2.mp3
2/4 good

Buckethead - Cuckoo Clocks of Hell 2004
The most bruttally heavy instrumental CD ever!! The tempos varying through all tracks (but one) from slow heavyness to speed metal bliss. There are silent pauses in some tracks and the majority of this CD is heavy rhythms pieced together and what I call 'note flurrys' where he plays a quick bunch of notes and repeats them cascading over and over-sorta a rhythmic way to solo. The doublebass drumming from Brain kills!
4/4 AWESOME!!

Buckethead - Population Override 2004
A jazz/fusion CD with a touch of blues, gentle guitar and rock. Organ on most tracks as well as a more electronic sounding keyboard on two of the tracks.Slow-midtempo creations from the masked wonder. Lots of jazzy fusion within. This is a grower for me. Not instantly accessable. The low-riderish boogie that ends the album is about the most rockin' thing here.
2/4 good

Karma to Burn - Almost Heathen 2001
Each of the ten non-sequentially numbered tracks do more than rock; they shake your speakers outta the walls, they force you to either smoke up some pot, dress in black or headbang. Think Black Sabbath and Kyuss. Stoner/doom fans and everyone else who appreciates groove heavy music will all get a thrill. All instrumental rock. Love it!
3/4 GREAT!

Lana Lane - Garden of the Moon 1998
Lana Lanehas soaring vocals which have been described as "clear, sweet and expressive", "sorrowful", "dramatic" and "angelic". Los Angeles prog rockers ROCKET SCIENTISTS make up most of the band as well as two gifted guitarists which bring the thunder. I had only heard voice previously on guest appearances but a full CD is quite remarkable. Has a 70’s hard rock feel to it.
2/4 good

Ayreon - The Human Equation 2004
A double Cd concept story of a man in a coma confronting his emotions, all of whom are sung with power by a cadre of stellar talents. Arjen A. Lucassen’s latest, greatest release is filled with perfection. Lots of acoustic guitars, varied vocals, folk, rock, psychedelic, synth keyboards. If you like your music over-the-top, in your face, and brilliant with sharp, clever arrangments then run and get it. $20 or this? Easy answer...
4/4 AWESOME!!

Shooting Hemlock - Clockwatcher 1997
Ok I initially thought this sounded like King's X mixed with Zakk Wylde but then i looked it up on the web and whoa, It’s Joe Stump in an alternative sounding band. The shredding is kept to an alltime minimum for him. A mix of standard metal, hard rock, punk, industrial and everything in between. Damn cool CD. I had no idea what i had ‘ordered’ other than it was new to my ears. Includes a cover of BLACK SABBATH Electric Funeral.
3/4 GREAT!

Michael Vescera Project - Windows 1999
Best known to me as the singer on Yngwies Seventh Sign and Magnum Opus CDs, I’ve long enjoyed his voice so fittingly i picked up all three MVP discs. Scott Boland  plays guitar on here and is rather average. None of the song really grabbed a hold of me but it is a very familar sound to the Yngwie albums (minus YJM of course although he cameos on one song as do Doug Aldrich and Al Petrelli). Has a rockin’ cover of the BEATLES strawberry fields.
2/4 good

MVP - Animation 1999
The best of Michael Verceras solo efforts, due to savage note flying from lead-guitarists Roland Grapow, Eddie Ardanuy, Joe Stump, and Roy Z. Some very catchy songs as well. This one can stand alongside his efforts with Malmsteen in the 90’s.
3/4 GREAT!

MVP - The Altar 2002,
Vescera recorded with a whole slew of guest appearances from guitarists Rob Johnson, Joe Stump, Roland Grapow, Robert Marchello, and Mike Chlasciak. This one too is quite enjoyable.for those into the Malmsteen like metal thing.
3/4 GREAT!

Primal Fear - Devil’s Ground 2004
Who needs Judas Priest when you have Primal Fear? Seriously, the German quintet, led by former Gamma Ray frontman Ralf Scheepers (himself once considered to replace Halford) arguably sounds more like classic, '80s period Priest than the real deal.It's not very original, but its always dependable and hearty headbanging Every song on here is 90bpm and 100% metal. Think British Steel.
3/4 GREAT!

Barry White - The Ultimate collection 1999
Did you know he died last year? Anybody who makes love to a woman should have some Barry in the player. A single disc probably isn’t enough to cover his legendary smooth soul career of vocal seduction, but it’s all i have shelf room for between Westworld and Robbie Williams. She’s an oomph!
1/4 ok

Yellow Matter Custard 2003
This double live CD captures the one time performance of the supergroup of Mike Portnoy(drums), Paul Gilbert(guitars) Neal Morse(Keyboards, guitar) and Matt Bissonette. All have formed together to sing dead on Beatles songs. They cover 31 songs on here and all share vocal duties. The highlight for me is Paul going off on While My Guitar Gently Weeps. Only available on-line.
3/4 GREAT!

Saigon Kick -Greatest Hits live 91-96 2000
Saigon Kick sure did deserve a better compilation for a live album, but some of their truly best songs were simply left apart from this Greatest Hits. The band plays their heart out, but nobody seems to care. I wonder why the selections on their studio Greatest Hits Cd are not the ones performed live?
2/4 good

Mario Parga - Magician 1991
A speeding locomotive swept this off the ground as i changed my walkman batteries and it surrived the 15 ft. flight. All instrumental disc of good music. Something just isn’t hangin with me on this one. The production maybe? The songs? I was disappointed.
1/4 ok

Antares- The Grandesign 1997
Instrumental heavy rock music that blends soulful and explosive guitar work and an image-evoking compositional style. Joe Rodriguez plays everything on here. Much of this disc has an anthem like quality to it. Diversity makes this an enjoyable melodic disc. i would’ve like it a bit punchier, heavier or even crazier but it is well done and enjoyable. Reminds me of Gary Hoey minus the surf influence.
2/4 good

Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:42 pm
Profile WWW
BOFH

Proved to be a good read

Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:38 pm
Profile WWW
Motorman

Very accessable music somewhere between the mindless heaviosity of metal and the thinking mans prog rock. Tom Englund's voice is  the best it’s been and the music somehow seems even more catchy than ever. A concept album involving someones involment of being lured into a religious cult.
3/4 GREAT!

Damageplan - New found power 2004
Post-Pantera, Dimebag Darrell and Vinnie Paul have hooked up with bassist Bob Zilla and vocalist Pat LachmanA heavy dose of berserk thrash workouts and melodic post-grunge tracks The vocals aren’t my usual fare but they fit the aggressive music very well.
3/4 GREAT!

Landmarq - Solitary Witness 1992
Non threatening Neo-prog from this British band on their debut. The guitarist Uwe D’Rose and keyboardplayer Steve Leigh create a balance on this album. The two instrumentals are pretty. i got this to further my collection of vocalist Damian Wilson sung tunes and he sounds great on here. Eastern influences, great piano playing. atmospherics and gentle playing. This is a grower for sure.
2/4 good

Landmarq - The Vision Pit 1995
Damian Wilson, also known from the Prog Metal act THRESHOLD handles the vocals on this symphonic rock CD. Damn, i love this guys voice but this CD isn’t cutting it. Kinda boring.The song Narovlya, was inspired by the letter of a kindergarten teacher who was a witness to the devastation of the people of her home town after the terrible catastrophe of the Chernobyl nuclear accident. Very safe calm prog from the UK, like old Genesis?
1/4 ok

Children of Bodom - Hate Crew Deathroll 2004
I knew within 3 seconds that i’d love this disc. Four albums in and still whacked on speed, Finnish five-piece Children of Bodom continues with its highly entertaining, giddy, melodic death metal. The album races to the finish of its 40-minute running time with crisp, crystal-clear, production, and driving speed metal. Butcherin’! This just kills! The vocals growl and the guitarists flurry notes everywhere like bullets.
3/4 GREAT!

TOC - Loss Angeles 2004
TOC is the abbreviation of Throne Of Chaos. Describing this CD is difficult. i guess take Bon Jovi and have them play pop & european metal and on occassion try to sing like Michael Kiske. Then at track 8, take a U-turn with heavyness and death vocals. A hyperspeed version of Smoke On The Water (chuga chuga locomotive guitars) with clean and death vocals and Night Crawler a JUDAS PRIEST cover complete this bizarre & varied CD. A couple ballads too.
3/4 GREAT!

TNT - My Religion 2004
20 years ago the Norway based band teamed up with American singer Tony Harnell. Now reformed, this is a consistent album with plenty of highlights from Tony’s strong voice and Ronni Le Tekro’ s crunchy guitar. Think hair metal, standard rock and roll the likes of that coming out of LA in the late 80’s..
2/4 good.

Seventh Key - The Raging Fire 2003
Am i on the melodicrock.com board? This is the fare of those that hang over ther as i occassionally do. 80’s rock done safe with pleasing melodies and vocals. My friends would love it. To me it’s all too ordinary but...it’s refreshing to hear some simple good natured rock songs performed by a talented band 2 decades too late for success. Billy Greer from Kansas plays guitar and sings. Includes a video. This can only get better with repeated listens!
2/4 good

Epica - Phantom Agony 2004
Combine elements of a woman singing operatic vocals with death vocals and symphonic near power metal sans lengthy solos and you’ll get and idea what this band from the Netherlands sounds like. The guitarist from After Forever, a teen-aged mezzo-soprano vocalist, a classically-trained choir and string section mixed with accomplished drummer, bassist and rhythm guitarist have created a quite different CD.
3/4 GREAT!

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - B.R.M.C. 2000
A slacker buddy of mine sent me this and what a waste of time. Buzzing this sucka out the window. UGH!
0/4 crap

Impellitteri - Grin and Bear It 1992
I think this completes my collection. late 80’s sounding good times rock and roll. Rob Rock’s vocals are great and Chris Impellitteri blisters albeit restrained on guitar. i need to make a best of and get some precious shelf space back. If only there were some instrumentals on here.
2/4 good

Jaded Heart - Trust 2004
I got this fluff CD only because it’s a 2004 release. Typical late 80’s fuck-we-could-be-anybody-as-long-as-it’ll-get-us-laid music. Think Warrant.Cheese factor is pungent. Music for chick rockers stuck in the 80’s or my friend Nick. It’s all so ordiinary...how can bands like this survive? Do they think they are adding to society? 20 years too late but YOU guys just keep rockin’, ok. sheesh.
1/4 ok

Iced Earth - The Glorious Burden 2004
Jon Schaeffer's tribite to the fighting at Gettysburg." Disc One begins, appropriately enough, with The Star Spangled Banner, played in overdrive with plenty of crunch. Singer Tim (Ripper) Owens steps into the fray and relates, amid the bone-crushing riffing and gorgeous guitar work, and drumming that comes from the heart of battle itself. Strings, acoustic guitars, and an epic sense of drama accompany the metal-drenched proceedings!
3/4 GREAT!

Tiles - Window Dressing 2004
Prog rock with decent music but the songs do nothing to me, ala. Melodic with good rhthms and such. the singer has a nice voice but it’s kind blah, like watered down Dream Theater meets Kansas. somebody somewhere loves them but not in this here chair. Sorry.
1/4 ok

Throwing Muses - The Real Ramona 1991
Um, not my kind of thing. I never liked college rock stuff. REM, Sugar, Pixies etc. First off i don’t like women singers, secondly my wife encountered some Throwing Muses as a coworker put some on my ipod. She hated it and her tastes opposite mine ‘cept our devotion to college ruck.This will go to a better home.
1/4 ok

Porcupine Tree - The Sky Moves sideways 1997
Moody prog rock that is very Pink Floydish. Lots of instrumetal passages that are atmospheric and spacy but jam on a riff at times. Stephen Wilson’s singing style reminds me of spoken word with just a hint of singing and nothing can get him worked up to belt out some vocals. A slow gentle quiet power. Don’t listen to lying down or it’s snoozeville.
1/4 ok

Porcupine Tree - On the sunday of Life... 1992
Porcupine Tree's debut is art/prog the likes that would make Pink Floyd happy.Is it too late to add Pink Floyd to the ‘hate rant’ thread? Stephen Wilson sounds very young here and it seems like most PT discs start out strong and then meander off into soft ditties. The many instrumental pieces are wonderful
2/4 good

Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream 1999
The first song blasts rock right at you and then it slowly gets gentler and more acoustic, with jaunts into heavier music. Proggish at times but really more acoustic with atmospheric keyboards or piano. Calm music generally. Great playing with interesting melodies but this may make you feel restless wanting some energy. I really need another listen for this to grow on me.
2/4 good

Dream Evil - Dragonslayer 2002
Sweden has produced yet another melodic heavy metal band rooted in classic '80s influences. Soaring, melodramatic heavy metal that combines the progressive metal chops from guitarist Gus G. with the pop metal format. Fantasy lyrics sung wonderfully by Niklas Isfeldt. Good metal fodder similiar to Manowar or even Yngwie.
2/4 good

Vicious Rumors - Soldiers of the Night 1985
The production on these old metal CDs is so poor I can’t even listen to this.Gary St Pierre’s voice is typical 80’s metal. Waht makes this notable are the two instrumentals from a youg guitarist named Vinnie Moore who quit the band after this CD and released the AWESOME Minds Eye in 1986 getting him best new talent in some guitar rag. 15 years of searching for this?
1/4 ok

Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:20 pm
Profile WWW
Motorman

If you’re a fan of rock vocalists this one is for you. Between Heavy-Prog Metal and Hard Rock this new release from Norway will certainly kick the ass of a lot of metal heads. Jorn is certainly one of the best metal singers in the world today whether it be with Ark or Masterplan, and the band he has assembled know their chops well. not the best starting place for newbies, but Jorn is a vocal God.
3/4 GREAT!

Metal Church - The Weight of the World 2004
Do you like old school speed metal? These guys have been around since 1981 but the line-up has changed over the years. Surprisingly the vocals are pleasant in the mid range with occassional screams of highness and the music kicks ass at times. If you dig bands like Overkill then you’d love it!
2/4 good

Tears for Fears - Everybody Loves A Happy Ending 2004
After a decade Roland Orzabal and Curt Smith have reunited to bring us a new Tears For Fears CD that is a true delight to listen to. Roland for the most part keeps to his mid to upper range vocal delivery and the two take turns at lead. The music is fun, happy and is heavily influenced by The Beatles later years. Nothing rockin’ even by TFF standards but all the pop tunes are catchy.
3/4 GREAT!

Sonic Youth - Sonic Nurse 2004
Sonic Youth have turned their love for experimental rock into a habit; perhaps more so than any other band. On here, the noisome atmospherics of their awesome Daydream Nation (1988) linger. The only band around who has such melodic feedback. I stole my first Sonic Youth CD from the music store where I worked due to my boss’ hype and it still remains a curiousity in my collection. This is a nice attempt to recapture the old sound.
3/4 GREAT!

Impellitteri - Pedal to the Metal 2004
An absolute treasure in every way. Glen Sobel's relentless, almost sociopathic drumming feeds the album which is powerful, intense, unique, and breathtaking at times. Chris’ playing occassionally ventures into Yngwie clone territory however no neoclassical to be found. The new singer Curtis Skelton's vocals are excellent, from his high notes to low screams.Put this baby in the car and drive!!
4/4 AWESOME!!

Dream Evil - The Book of Heavy Metal 2004
European heavy metal with crunch! The lyrics are right up the Manowar book of heavy metal. The vocal performance by Niklas is amazing and his vocals have never sounded this clear and majestic. The sound still maintains many of the European power metal elements of the previous albums, but with this release they add more of the 80's feel to this disc. The Scorpions type ballad at the end is kewl.
3/4 GREAT!

Norah Jones - Feels Like Home 2004
Smartly following the template forged on her first CD Norah gives us more goodies: some reworked cover tunes, some interesting originals, and one ostensible jazz standard. These are all good things, for also like its predecessor, Feels Like Home is a soft and amiable album that frames Jones' soft-focus Aretha Franklin voice with a group of songs that are as classy as they are quiet
2/4 good

IQ - Ever 1994
Formed in the 1980s, IQ has released 14 albums of their art rock/neo prog. Very atmospheric and in need of a lead guitar player, I found myself very impatient at the 10 min plus songs. If you worship Enchant or Ozric Tentacles then you probably already have this. I think of this as minimal music. No highs or lows all very midline. Pleasant but boring for me.
1/4 ok

Michael Angelo - Tradition 2000
Michael's 3rd solo CD is the companion to his "Jam with Angelo" video. His fluid style sends notes gliding and flying all over the fretboard.His shredding style seems so effortless as he blazes through rock, fusion, boogies and classical arrangements. Unlike others, Michael never loses the melody and rhythm to make this a CD that is so SCARY it's worth it. The 2nd half of the CD is just the rhythm tracks of the first half so you can jam with Angelo.
3/4 GREAT!

Rush - 30 years strong Starwood Amphitheatre 5/26/04 bootleg
Opening night on the 30th year anniversay tour, the Canadian trio shows no signs of slowing down. This three disc set is as always for Rush an amazing set of songs from all their albums. The instrumental R30 overture contains many favorites from the first decade. Also included are several tunes from 'Feedback' the Rush CD of covers from the late 60’s.
4/4 AWESOME!!

Meshuggah - I 2004
Exactly 21 mins of brutallity. This EP is one song and it pummels with insanely fast drumming, mechanical start/stop riffing and death vocals and screams that will peel paint. It just kick ass allthe way through and seagues through differnet rhythms. The bass is manical also. I’m not a fan of this band but this is so intense and heavy it must be heard.
3/4 GREAT!

Megadeth - The System has Failed 2004
Original guitarist Chris Poland has returned with some great playing and killer solos that bring back memories of Peace Sells but this seems more like an extension of ‘Risk’. I was never a huge fan of Dave’s growl anyway. The 40 sec.’ instrumental ‘I know Jack’ is ok not really going anywhere with the clip “Senator you’re no Ted Kennedy”. “Shadow of Death” is a nice melodic instrumental with a sound clip speech intro. Fans will like it.
2/4 good

Helmet - Size Matters 2004
It’s been seven years. Singer/guitarist/founder Page Hamilton has reactivated the band. Now with guitarist Chris Traynor, drummer John Tempest, and Anthrax bassist Frank Bello. Minimalist crushing riffs, slow rhythmic propulsion, and a greater melodic sense. It rocks and will get your foot stomping.Reminds me a bit of QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE. The solos drop in like cluster bombs and twist into your head. Heavy, raw and melodic.
2/4 good

Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:49 pm
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:29 pm
Profile WWW
Motorman

At this point Rik has finally stopped catering to the audience by playing Triumph songs. His solo material since 1991 has covered a lot of ground from Rock, Adult Contemporary, Jazz, Classical and Blues and this show at the Berklee College of Music in Boston likewise is diverse. A few electric instrumentals open the set blazing and make you realize, “Oh...yeah, he did used to be in Triumph and have firepower”. Between most songs Rik jokes with the audience.
2/4 good

Stage - s/t 2002
Nu-metal radio fare. Jeeze this could be anybody. Sounds a lot like the band Live or Pearl Jam. The singers voice is alright and the rock is well done and easily accessable with catchy choruses. But...If I’m gonna listen to this kind of music, I’ll just turn on the alternative radio station. Still they obviously love to play their music on this debut album. Put out some more albums, get some radio success, release a greatest hits and I’ll check back then. Good luck.
2/4 good

Unwritten Law - Elva 2002
Taking a cue from fellow alternative pop bands like Everclear, Unwritten Law beefs up its production and bashes out one punkish rockin’ album. I was poised to hate this but damn it hit me at a good momment. Frolicking with fun energy and outlandish enthusiam, it’s straight forward rock but the small touches and little things make this really stand out. Good variety and catchiness for fans of alternative pop bands.
3/4 GREAT!

Fastball - All the Pain Money can Buy 1998
Y’know these guys had a big radio hit with “The Way” and haven’t been back. A pretty comfortable bit of pop rock on here and most of the songs are very catchy. Reminds me of Nuclear Valdez mixed with Elvis Costello. Good radio play stuff that my wife will love.
2/4 good

Toby Mac - Momentum 2001
Hmmm? A white rapper rockin ala Kid Rock. Not my thing but it’s actually pretty enjoyable. If you dig Kid Rock then get this Toby Mac CD. It’s like a freaking clone done with the same amount of cusing, rocking’, and in yo face attitude. The photos on the Cd have him running about and I like that show of speed in a being. No lazy ass here.
2/4 good

Dovetail joint - 001 1999
[rant!]Ok, this CD is so middle of the road American-made midtempo unsurprising rock that I can barely spare the time listening to it. I mean there must be 100,000 other bands exactly like this; one in every city. Why try? Somewhere this is somebodies favorite disc. The music rocks but c’mon it’s so generic and mundane. I’m all about each band in my collection having a unique identity not this crud.[/rant!]
1/4 ok

Brian May - Furia 2000
The legendary Queen guitarist produced a complete film score for the French film “Furia”. All instrumnetal except for one vocal track sung by Brian, the score is predominantly a full orchestra with violin and flute solos. His red special guitar show up on three tracks and French dialogue ends many of the tracks unaccompanied by music. For Queen completists only or people who’ve seen the film by Alexandre Aja.
1/4 ok

Uli Jon Roth - Legends of Rock—Live at Castle Donnington 2002
Live Uli on not one but 2 CDs with UFO and Jack Bruce., Uli does some solo stuff and trades licks with Michael Schenker on “Rock Bottom”. Add in Jack Bruce for some Cream tunes like “White Room” and “Sunshine of your Love”, some Hendrix covers, and end it all off with a 10 minute jam. A bit stuck in the 60’s for me but rockin’ playing.
3/4 GREAT!

Jerry Gaskill - Come Somewhere 2004
A great disc from King's X drummer Jerry (with guitarist Ty Tabor). Actually it's the drums you notice last as the songs are very good and Jerry's vocals sound ever so much like those of bandmate Ty. A successful solo album that i hope the masses discover.
3/4 GREAT!

Mattias IA Eklundh - Freak Guitar The Road Less Travelled 2004
You’ll need to have a bit of alien in you to understand the insane guitar playing from the singer guitarist in Freak kitchen on his 2nd solo CD. A few slow acoustic like tracks and one vocal tune wedged in between squeeling guitar and pyrotechniques on a CD that’ll give your treble setting a challenge. It’s freaking nuts to hear his covers of Smoke on the Water, and the Fletch theme done in such a way. Freak Guitar is right! Insane.
4/4 AWESOME!!

Brian Setzer Orchetra - Guitar slinger 1996
Guitar-dominated, yet horn-filled arrangements with orchestra. A new version of the Stray Cats' "Rumble in Brighton", a Stevie Ray Vaughan cover, "The House Is Rockin',"and a Gene Pitney chestnut "Town Without Pity,"are all incredible and fun. Rockabilly. I was never a Stray Cats fan at their prime, but this solo stuff is a rockin, swinging good time.
3/4 GREAT!

Diana Krall - The Girl in the Other Room 2004
Jazzy piano stylings with Dianas soft voice. Got this for my wife. More a mood setter than active listening (for me at least). Most gentle soothing tracks written with her husband Elvis Costello.
1/4 ok

The Gathering - Sleepy Buildings 2004
A semi-acoustic evening.None of the songs captured me the way last years “Souveniers” CD did. Anneke van Giersbergen has a great voice but the songs minus electric guitars, with an increased emphasis on piano and keyboards just don’t thrill me.
1/4 ok

California Guitar Trio - The First Decade 2003
Three guys prinarily playing acoustic guitars together. Not inventive enough. Bert Lams, Paul Richards, and Hideyo Moriya provides a good listen but this CD tends to become repetitive in the lack of diversity.
1/4 ok

Monster Magnet - Dopes to infinity 1995
I think it takes about half an hour to go from a normal state of mind to understanding this band. Dave Wyndorf's singing is good and the guitar playing is epic amidst all the space-out swirl and rockets to the moon.Songs like "Ego, the Living Planet" and "Theme From 'Masterburner'" do a great job at sounding like Thor, Hercules and Firelord battling Galacticus for control of the universe — no puny humans allowed.
2/4 good

Monster Magnet - Monolithic Baby! 2004
Tried explaining this music to my bro. Heavy low groove with a LSD touch. Monolithic Baby! kicks off with four rockin’, crotch-thrusting musical metaphors for the horizontal mambo in "Slut Machine," "Supercruel," "Unbroken and especially my fave "On the Verge," Air-guitar heaven paranoia, drugs and getting some tail.
2/4 good

Muse - Showbiz 1999
The first album from the UK trio. The vocals are drawn out and the range is incredible. Might annoy some but sounds refreshing and awesome to me. Holding down the hype so yeah it’s a buy me. I’d start with their newest one and work backwards. Comparable to Radiohead i’ve heard but i don’t know that band. Strong on angst-filled vocals, esoteric lyrics, and dramatic shifts in sonic dynamics. They rock!
3/4 GREAT!

Muse - Origin of Symmetry 2001
Love this band. Killer music and vocals. Everything sounds super and I’ve found some fans to chat with in the unlikliest of places. Love...and become addicted, or remain unaware. Do they really sound like Radiohead? i dunno.
3/4 GREAT!

Muse - Hullabaloo soundtrack 2002
Two CD  containing a disc of b-sides and a live performance from ‘01 in Paris. Both discs are excellent! For a massive follower of the band, the Hullabaloo Soundtrack is a decent look back. For new fans, consider the album a treat.
3/4 GREAT!

Drop Box - s/t 2004
bah! Classic rock and blues with modern sensibilities, resulting in an aggressive style that owes as much to AC/DC as it does to Alice in Chains.Their self-titled debut was released in April. Nothing lulling me in to a repeated listen of this CD. bah!
1/4 ok

Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:20 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]