View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 G3 Europe 
Motorman

Post G3 Europe
Hi,

Tonight I went to see G3 in Manchester, England. As soon as I got out my car i saw Vai and Sheehan outside chatting to people so I went over but had forgotten my things to get signed and got a bit nervous about what to say so I just walked away :roll: I was kicking myself afterwards. Plus, in true english fasion the skies opened and it rained really heavy so we went off to get some food.

Got back for the gig and Robert Fripp was starting. He was sat barely visible on the stage and started making keyboard sounds with his guitar. I think he calls them 'soundscapes' but how would we know? He didnt go near a mike all night. This continued for about 25 mins but which time the audience were talking amongst themselves. The guy has been boo'd all over the tour but thankfully the audience were polite enough not to do it tonight.

Vai came on. What can you say, he was awesome (even though he had a cold and kept getting tissues). He broke a string on the triple neck so 'I know you're here' was cut short. Then the usual 'Reaper', 'FTLOG', 'whispering..', 'Bankok', several more i will remember tomorrow (im literally falling asleep now) and, a nice surprise 'Answers'. That order isnt right. Anyway, he was on for about 1hr 10.

Then Satch. Ive seen him twice before, have all but his latest CD and his DVDs and Videos but I have to say, the guy is loosing my interest. I think he played 4 new ones in a 1 hour set. The rest was so predictable it was funny. Come on Joe, spice it up a little! So many good songs he doesnt play live (eg.most of 'time machine').

But, at least he has started to move around onstage. BTW the Peavey amps were really noisy.

Jam next. This was a huge disappointment. All 3G's played on 'ice nine', 'Red' and 'the murder' then 'Rockin in the free world'. You could tell Vai was sick. Ive seen him before and on boots. When he's not feeling good he stays fairly still and his playing is less crazy! Fripp sat in the same place just onstage (really- he was next to Thomas Nordegg sorting Vai's gear!). Satch was the same old tone, same old licks.

So, this was the most expensive of the gigs ive been to recently and it wasnt great to be honest. Its a shame neither Yngwie, Eric Johnson or JP came on G3 Europe. Im not alone in this thinking. Just been on a few UK guitar sites and it seems most thought the gig was a let down.

Next time G3 should be Vai, PG and Nuno. Satch can sell the t-shirts :wink:

Mark

Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:48 am
BOFH

I'm off to the Nottingham one on monday :)

I'm hoping it won't be a let down... I've got aftershow passes for my brother and myself, so that should liven things up a bit :)

Plus, It's almost impossible to not have a good time if I'm with my brother... He's a funny guy :P

For anyone else who is going... I'll be in my Racer X shirt, so I won't be too hard to spot.

Is it just me who didn't know that Sheehan is with them? :shock:

Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:28 am
Profile WWW
Dr. X

Post Re: G3 Europe
ibanezwizard wrote:
Next time G3 should be Vai, PG and Nuno. Satch can sell the t-shirts :wink:

Mark

I have to agree, cause when I saw him when G3 was over in the states I personally hated his tone... its was all off. I was thinking maybe he was trying out his new peavey amp, that just had a XXX face. Anyways I didnt like it, but maye he has it dialed in now. I dont like too much of his new cd either, though its just my opinion.

I dig your lineup there...."your a SICK PUNK, and I like your style"

Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:16 am
Profile YIM
King Of The Monsters

They will come with the same line up to Chile, in December 10.

All my hopes are really into meeting TONY MACALPINE and getting my stuff signed! 8) .

I really don´t give a shit about Fripp, and have seen Vai once, and Satch twice, even though I´m sure it will be a cool show, and I´ll enjoy it very much.

Image Image

Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:03 pm
Profile WWW
Motorman

I go to see G3 the next Sunday...is a dream come true

Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:28 pm
Promises to use Search button

Caught the show in London last night. Missed Fripp's set, but in the jam section he sat at the back of the stage and hardly played at all. Eventually Joe and Steve pretty much ignored him and jammed between themselves. Some of the crowd booed Fripp at the end. I say kick him off and let MacApline do a set on his own.
The Albert hall isn't the best place to get a sound for a rock band. I actually thought Joes tone was better than Steves last night, but the rest of Joes band got a raw deal, the kick drum wasn't even turned on for the first few songs.
Vai needs to go on last, Joe needs to lay off the whammy pedal, and Fripp needs to at least try and play to the crowd, most of whom struggled to get to the gig because of major public transport disruptions in London.
Most of all PG needs to get on this tour!

Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:28 pm
King Of The Monsters

Some of the crowd booed Fripp at the end. I say kick him off and let MacApline do a set on his own.

That would be a dream come true!

Image Image

Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:38 pm
Profile WWW
is evil...Evil Joe

I saw the g3 show in Glasgow on the 23rd.

I was very dissapointed with Robert Fripp, i hadn't heard him before and so i expected much more than a bunch of keyboard sounds. He recieved a fare share of booing at the glasgow show too.

Steve (being the man) was again as amazing as usual, ive seen him twice before and was again stunned.

This was the first time id seen Satch and I was, and still am amazed with how great his guitar tone was...................Everything i expected and more..

Poor choice with fripp in my opinion though.......sorry to those frippomaniacs out there, if there are any lol :lol:

Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]