View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Creed is NO MORE- Finally official. 
Site Admin

Post Creed is NO MORE- Finally official.
Shouldn't be a surprise to anyone....but here it is anyway.

The spiritually inclined band Creed, whose anthemic hits "Higher" and "With Arms Wide Open" helped them become one of the top-selling rock acts of the past decade, has called it quits.

Three former Creed members immediately announced they were forming a new band — minus singer Scott Stapp (news) — but were quick to say it was not "just Creed with a different singer."

Creed's three albums sold a combined 24 million copies in the United States. While many critics dismissed them as pale Pearl Jam imitators, Creed members used that as creative fuel and laughed all the way to the bank.

Lyricist Stapp grew up with a strict religious upbringing and often explored those topics in song. At one point five of the first eight queries on the "frequently asked questions" section of the Florida-based band's Web site dealt with Christianity, including "Is Creed a Christian band?"

The band always said no.

Stapp and guitarist Mark Tremonti (news) were longtime friends and songwriting partners whose relationship soured in the past couple of years, as Tremonti explained in a recent interview with MTV.com.

That caused tension in the band. "There was a lot more drama," drummer Scott Phillips (news) told The Associated Press on Friday. "It wasn't necessarily created by anyone in particular. It just stopped being fun."

Stapp was not available for comment, said a spokesman for Wind-up Records.

Creed took most of last year off, and reconvened in the winter to come up with new material. "The vibe just wasn't the same," Phillips said.

Still, they weren't about to casually disband such a successful unit. The band had initially figured on taking a hiatus, but a side project was working out so well they decided not to turn back, Phillips said.

The new band, Alter Bridge, features Tremonti, Phillips and former Creed bassist Brian Marshall. Singer-songwriter Myles Kennedy, formerly of the band Mayfield Four, was recruited as the fourth member. Their first album is due out in August.

Phillips described the music as edgier than Creed, with the musicians given more space to show off their chops.

"We don't want to make it seem like it's just Creed with a different singer," he said.

Stapp's first solo recording will be on a soundtrack of music inspired by the film "The Passion of the Christ." He's working on a solo album with the Canadian band the Tea Party.

Ken Hower's opinion:

It's obvious, Scott is the odd man out...literally. The firing of Brian 2 years ago was REALLY abrupt. They never officially hired a new bass player. The guitar player and drummer start a band...and the first thing they do is hire the bass player back.....I think it's pretty obvious who wanted him fired.

Regards,
Ken

Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:35 pm
Profile WWW
Godzilla

Man I'm so glad Creed aren't a household name over here in the UK. One of the most annoying bands ever. A couple of their videos were on Kerrang for a brief period, but that's about it. Luckily, the split will ensure they never get the chance to further that.

I remember someone's sig from another board: 'even Jesus hates Creed'.

Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:46 pm
Profile YIM
God Of The Sun

:cry: ...sorry i like creed...their songwriting that is...the music side of it was fairly generic......but,i really like the tea party...scott will add to them greatly....IMO

"playing the crazy double neck,screaming my lungs out,playing crazy licks.....enjoy!"

My future ex-wife is Milla Natasha Jovovich..... and monkeys will fly out of my butt.

Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:48 pm
Viking Kong

I was just wondering about what happened to Creed a few days ago.

Never liked them that much.

Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:53 pm
Viking Kong

Phillips described the music as edgier than Creed, with the musicians given more space to show off their chops.

Sounds better already.

Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:04 pm
Profile YIM
Site Admin

Creed wasn't horrible....I didn't mind them. My wife has all their CD's....and, personally...I'd rather listen to Creed, than Alanis Moreupset.

Regards,
Ken

Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:14 pm
Profile WWW
is evil...Evil Joe

Noooo Not Creed! They were the best Rock band ever :roll:

Im actually glad that they are done. They were like a Stryper in the 2000's

Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:45 pm
Profile YIM
Motorman

mark (creed guitarist) is going to be on Michael Angelo's new album.

he can "shred"

Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:46 pm
Site Admin

mark (creed guitarist) is going to be on Michael Angelo's new album.

he can "shred"

That's funny...cause I saw Marc Tremonti in person at the Roxy, come up on stage....and literally...not play a thing. Someone in the audience, yelled that he sucked....(seriously, he was not playing anything CLOSE to shred...he couldn't handle EVH licks). Marc told the guy in the audience if he could do better...and he jumped on stage...grabbed the guitar from Tremonti and smoked....Tremonti just walked off stage.

It was pretty embarrasing. Russ Parrish from Atomic Punks and Fight said...He thought the guy was so mediocre, that he thought it was an imposter. It wasn't.

Regards,
Ken

Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:09 am
Profile WWW
Godzilla

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sat Jun 05, 2004 1:10 am
Profile YIM
is evil...Evil Joe

Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:57 am
Profile YIM
Motorman

Wo, Ken that suprises me, I have been told that he is "well established".

Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:10 pm
Site Admin

I saw it.....he was 5 feet in front of me....just playing some very standard runs. If he was super drunk...I couldn't tell...he didn't stagger up on stage.

The guy in the audience, literally...jump up on stage...and started smoking on Motley Crue Piece of your action. He just walked off.

Earlier in the night....Green Day came up...and SMOKED on VH Ain't Talkin' Bout Love. Shocking.

Regards,
Ken

Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:34 pm
Profile WWW
O yeah, I have no doubts about it, mayby Angelo is just giving him a "chance" or Angelo is going for a totally new musical direction, which Mark could play a part in..mayby similar to Marks style, God forbid, but you never know! :)

Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:51 pm
Motorman

I didn't know guests could post...

It didn't ask me to sign in, so I presumed I was already, :lol:

Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:53 pm
Godzilla

he was 5 feet in front of me....just playing some very standard runs.

Earlier in the night....Green Day came up...and SMOKED on VH Ain't Talkin' Bout Love. Shocking.

Ain't Talkin' Bout Love has some cool licks, but I wouldn't class it as very technical at all. So if that SMOKED, how bad exactly were these standard runs Marc Tremonti was playing? :?

Sat Jun 05, 2004 7:07 pm
Profile YIM
King Of The Monsters

Image Image

Sat Jun 05, 2004 8:20 pm
Profile WWW
KenHower wrote:
he was 5 feet in front of me....just playing some very standard runs.

Ain't Talkin' Bout Love has some cool licks, but I wouldn't class it as very technical at all. So if that SMOKED, how bad exactly were these standard runs Marc Tremonti was playing? :?

yeah VH isn't particularly technical, but it's all great!

dragonforcedotcom

Sat Jun 05, 2004 10:07 pm
God Of The Sun

dragonforcedotcom wrote:

I saw it.....he was 5 feet in front of me....just playing some very standard runs. If he was super drunk...I couldn't tell...he didn't stagger up on stage.

The guy in the audience, literally...jump up on stage...and started smoking on Motley Crue Piece of your action. He just walked off.

Its cool to hear Green Day covering Van Halen...No limits to Rock n Roll...!! :roll: :roll:

Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:59 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Pentatonic type stuff. Nothing fancy at all. It's hard to describe...but it was the type of stuff someone who CAN'T play guitar, sees and goes...wow, you're good. But someone who CAN play, knows is run of the mill.

Regards,
Ken

Last edited by KenHower on Sun Jun 06, 2004 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:37 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next