View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Zakk Wylde's OZZY audition tape-WITH MP3'S!!! 
Site Admin

Post Zakk Wylde's OZZY audition tape-WITH MP3'S!!!
Hey guys...Zakk's audition tape hit the light of day. Here's the guy's story: (we heard from Jim when I was working for Zakk, but he wasn't sure where the tape was, and now it's been found.)

Here's the story of the demo tape, by the man who recorded it, Jim Matlosz:

"Back in the summer of '87, I was hanging with Zakk and Zyris, I use to work as Zakk's guitar tech at the time, my plan was to trade the work for guitar lessons, problem was I didnt have the discipline and again the money to buy a real guitar, still cant play to this day. Anyway, Every Saturday night, we would go to Close Encounters where Zyris would headline, Playing at times with Edgar Cayce (Side band for Prophet) along with some other acts, I remember them playing with Skid Row before Sebastian, (I think it was Dave Feld who put Skid Row and Sebastian together).
Anyway, the story on the demo, Zakk calls me one night and says Ozzy is looking for a guitar player and he needs to put together a demo. We borrowed a 4 track cassette recorder from Zakk's friend Rich ( can't remember his last name) we got together on a rainy night (On the classical piece what sounds like noise is actually rain on the outside basement metal door, which we actually put a mic on to add to the mix) and went over to the basement where Zyris rehearsed and recorded the demo.

After Zakk got the Ozzy gig, Barb (his wife) told me he wanted me to be his guitar tech. Many others would have jumped at the opportunity, but I had to decline, I had one opportunity to go to college and fulfill my dreams and I had to pursue it. Who knows where I would be now if I had taken the opportunity, but I have no complaints. I would stay in touch with Zakk and Barb, over the next 5 years or so, driving Barb to Laguardia airport to pick up Zakk at some crazy time of night when he would return from England...meeting up with them whenever we had the time. After College graduation I packed up my bags and moved to California... Zakk and Barb offered me a place to stay. When Zakk returned from tour, I went off and got my own place, and began working as a camera-man in visual effects for feature films. I worked some crazy hours and had no time to socialize, so our lives drifted apart. I ran into Barb at a show Zakk was doing at The Troubador in LA a few years ago and that is the last I have seen or heard from them. His life and career have been pretty easy to track, I've been listening to the music he's been making over the years, and can't believe how far he has come and changed.

So 17 Years go by, I had the master tape in a box the whole time with about 100 other cassette's, A good friend of mine asked me one day what a 4 track cassette recorder was worth on e-bay, I said I dont know, about 10 bucks, but can I borrow it before you sell it. So I dug up the tape and asked a friend of mine who works as a recording engineer for movie trailers, if he would mind digitizing the demo in protools and remixing it. He agreed and a few months later handed me the mix down on cd as well as the protools stems. I saw the bootleg page on Zakks site, and figured the fans would be interested."

www.chaddyer.com/vault/zakk1.mp3
www.chaddyer.com/vault/zakk2.mp3
www.chaddyer.com/vault/zakk3.mp3
www.chaddyer.com/vault/zakk4.mp3
www.chaddyer.com/vault/zakk5.mp3

-Chad[/i]

Last edited by Chad Dyer on Sun May 16, 2004 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 14, 2004 1:28 am
Viking Kong

Just downloaded it off of worldwide about an hour ago. Cool stuff.

Fri May 14, 2004 1:31 am
Profile YIM
God Of The Sun

Have to wait til tomorrow so I can get on a computer with speakers.

Fri May 14, 2004 3:44 am
Site Admin

Cool!

Have to wait til tomorrow so I can get on a computer with speakers.

Ya gots ta hear it!

-Chad

Sun May 16, 2004 8:45 am
God Of The Sun

I did. No, it's not the best recording, but it is impressive. At that time, "thin" sounding guitars were so popular and Zakk's tone sounds beefier than that.

Sun May 16, 2004 4:03 pm
Superhero

That's some pretty cool stuff. Thanks for posting that. :D

Jason

Tue May 18, 2004 12:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]