View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Yngwie the Ax Grinder 
Viking Kong

Post Yngwie the Ax Grinder
Yngwie the Ax Grinder

Monday, April 5, 2004; Page C02

Cockiness is as crucial a component of the typical heavy metal star's arsenal as overdriven Marshall stacks. Yngwie Malmsteen, a guitar hero straight out of Central Casting, came to Jaxx on Friday with an overabundance of both.

Malmsteen didn't become an idol to generations of suburban dirtballs for nothing. The 40-year-old Swede has, as the players say, chops. As shown on the metal-by-numbers tune "Dreaming (Tell Me)," Malmsteen might possess the fastest fingers in metal history. His licks, particularly when played in a relatively small venue through a wall of 10 Marshall amps, can weary a listener after a while, but Malmsteen's attitude never flags. It's a very bad attitude.

Dressed in a loose-fitting, low-hanging black satin shirt that looked like something from the Steven Seagal Collection, Malmsteen showed hilariously little feeling for members of his band. His first words into the microphone came halfway through his two-hour set, when he upbraided drummer Patrik Johannsen for "missing a [expletive] cue!"

Malmsteen played the opening bars of Eddie Van Halen's "Eruption," a revelation for electric guitarists when it was released in 1978, with his teeth. He played a Hendrixian version of "The Star-Spangled Banner," one of the most famous guitar breaks in rock history, as if he were slumming. The face Malmsteen wore during that performance -- but not the performance itself -- was worth the price of admission.

-- Dave McKenna

Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:29 pm
Site Admin

WTF...are you and Alex the same person???

you posted this here at 3:29pm and Alex posted in the George Lynch thread at 3:29pm.

Regards,
Ken

Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:52 am
Profile WWW
Superhero

lol.. Well Alex is the mystery guy.. I wouldnt put it past him to be the same person as Darron. :P

Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:33 am
is the Siren's Eye

WTF...are you and Alex the same person???
you posted this here at 3:29pm and Alex posted in the George Lynch thread at 3:29pm.

Well, there you go, Ken. DarrOn and Alex couldn't be the same person. How could he be in two places at once? :wink:

Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:11 pm
Profile WWW
Superhero

Haha.. duh. *smacks head through keyboard*

Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:15 am
Site Admin

Regards,
Ken

Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:18 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

I/we could have had more than one window open at once... :wink: