View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 What you think of Randy Rhoads ? 
Viking Kong

rickster_x wrote:

Wish that cat was still around...No offense to Zakk, but imagine how bad ass Oz man would have been by now with 10 or 11 discs out with Randy playing on them...

A cool thought, but it would never have happened. Randy probably would have left Ozzy's band long before now (rumor has it he was unhappy with the band and all the on-stage theatrics and was seriously considering quiting the band at the time of his death).

Bassist Kelly Garni, one of the founding members of QUIET RIOT, has slammed Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne over their treatment of Randy Rhoads prior to the guitar legend's death, alleging that they "didn't care about [Randy's] happiness" and claiming that Ozzy "punched" Randy when Rhoads said he wanted to leave Ozzy's band.

Speaking to The-Fuze.net about his former QUIET RIOT bandmate's final days, Garni said, "Randy wasn’t happy in the end. He wanted out. There’s a lot of friction between me and Ozzy because I speak my mind about that. Him and Sharon paint this lovely picture — 'Randy could have left any time he wanted. Whatever Randy wanted, we wanted. To see him happy — that was the most important thing.' Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit. They wouldn’t let him out of contract. They threatened him... Ozzy punched him when Randy said he wanted to leave. Two weeks before Randy died, Ozzy punched him in the face, over breakfast. They were adamant about not losing him. They didn't care about his happiness. And who would want to let him go? The guy was a great guitar player, a nice kid, very serious…so I can't blame him for that, but the reality of it was when it came time for him to really try to get out of that band they played hardball. It turned into a very unhappy situation. Randy was the kind of guy who didn't like to hurt feelings and didn't like confrontations. I think he just kind of resigned himself to, 'Well, I’m stuck here.' I've read some letters that he wrote, and he actually wrote to [former QUIET RIOT singer] Kevin [Dubrow] about it more than anything. He thought Kevin could advise him a little better. Kevin made me copies of these letters. He was miserable in that band. He didn't even like anybody else in the band. . . [Randy] and [former QUIET RIOT bassist] Rudy never really were all that close. Rudy was at least a little bit of a connection to where Randy came from, and Rudy's a very nice guy, but he's not really… 'Randy people,' I guess is the best way to say it. I don't think Randy felt like he had a good close friend there, or an ally. Rudy has a tendency to mind his own business. So Randy was stuck. It's weird that, to get out of that band, he had to die. You could almost say that was the only way he was ever going to get out of it. They weren't going to let him go."

Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:06 pm
Motorman

He was a great rhythm man! I was never that impressed with his soloing... :-\

its not so much he speed than his choice of notes.

Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:52 pm
Dr. X

Post Randy Rhoads. Nuff said.
The guy was a total genius on the guitar. Mr. Crowley solo, is just amazing. Apparently he and eVh both 'grew up' on the L.A. club circuit scene and were considered quite similar. Definitely in their rhythm work, both awesome, but Randy had a more classical approach with his soloing. He is in my opinion the greatest guitarist i've ever heard. (ALthough, i haven't heard too many.) The man had a knack of the axe. As great as he was, i think if he had survived, i doubt he'd be as great today as he was back then. Nobody could stay that good for so long. Just look at Metallica, and Michael Jackson...

Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:25 pm
Godzilla

Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:50 pm
Motorman

I wish if I were him.

yeah!He was a master

Sun Apr 11, 2004 11:19 pm
Superhero

Pablo Wablo wrote:
He was a great rhythm man! I was never that impressed with his soloing... :-\

its not so much he speed than his choice of notes.

I never said it had anything to do with speed.

Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:37 am
Superhero

TheSurgeon wrote:
rickster_x wrote:

Wish that cat was still around...No offense to Zakk, but imagine how bad ass Oz man would have been by now with 10 or 11 discs out with Randy playing on them...

A cool thought, but it would never have happened. Randy probably would have left Ozzy's band long before now (rumor has it he was unhappy with the band and all the on-stage theatrics and was seriously considering quiting the band at the time of his death).

Bassist Kelly Garni, one of the founding members of QUIET RIOT, has slammed Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne over their treatment of Randy Rhoads prior to the guitar legend's death, alleging that they "didn't care about [Randy's] happiness" and claiming that Ozzy "punched" Randy when Rhoads said he wanted to leave Ozzy's band.

Speaking to The-Fuze.net about his former QUIET RIOT bandmate's final days, Garni said, "Randy wasn’t happy in the end. He wanted out. There’s a lot of friction between me and Ozzy because I speak my mind about that. Him and Sharon paint this lovely picture — 'Randy could have left any time he wanted. Whatever Randy wanted, we wanted. To see him happy — that was the most important thing.' Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit. They wouldn’t let him out of contract. They threatened him... Ozzy punched him when Randy said he wanted to leave. Two weeks before Randy died, Ozzy punched him in the face, over breakfast. They were adamant about not losing him. They didn't care about his happiness. And who would want to let him go? The guy was a great guitar player, a nice kid, very serious…so I can't blame him for that, but the reality of it was when it came time for him to really try to get out of that band they played hardball. It turned into a very unhappy situation. Randy was the kind of guy who didn't like to hurt feelings and didn't like confrontations. I think he just kind of resigned himself to, 'Well, I’m stuck here.' I've read some letters that he wrote, and he actually wrote to [former QUIET RIOT singer] Kevin [Dubrow] about it more than anything. He thought Kevin could advise him a little better. Kevin made me copies of these letters. He was miserable in that band. He didn't even like anybody else in the band. . . [Randy] and [former QUIET RIOT bassist] Rudy never really were all that close. Rudy was at least a little bit of a connection to where Randy came from, and Rudy's a very nice guy, but he's not really… 'Randy people,' I guess is the best way to say it. I don't think Randy felt like he had a good close friend there, or an ally. Rudy has a tendency to mind his own business. So Randy was stuck. It's weird that, to get out of that band, he had to die. You could almost say that was the only way he was ever going to get out of it. They weren't going to let him go."

Wow!!!
Hard to believe, I mean at one point Randy's nailing Sharon now Ozzy's nailing Randy......... in the face that is. :twisted:

Ozzy has certainly done alot for Randy's memory, perhaps out of guilt :?:

Fri Apr 16, 2004 2:12 am
Profile WWW
is evil...Evil Joe

Location: Stuck in a world where weaknesses are sweet and many
Now you guys are talkin' my language 8) Randy's music is so full of ideas and riffs to sink your teeth into. The guy was a genious. It was like he had an entire library of classical/rock guitar knowledge in his head that he wielded so tastefully.

Fri Apr 23, 2004 4:09 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Dr. X

Randy is my favorite guitarist and he is also one of the best ever he's the reason I kept playing guitar

Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:57 am
is O.H.B.

Which solo of randy u guys like the best ?

Wed Apr 28, 2004 1:16 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Viking Kong

Former QUIET RIOT/OZZY Bassist To Pen Book About RANDY RHOADS - May 2, 2004

Former QUIET RIOT/OZZY OSBOURNE bassist Rudy Sarzo has revealed that he is currently writing a book on the Randy Rhoads era, titled "Off The Rails".

"It is very hard to write a book," Sarzo told Classic Rock Revisited. "Whatever money I make from it, I can make a lot more from things that are much easier. I just want everyone to understand what Randy was all about. I was the only guy who played with him in both bands. I was the only one who saw the metamorphosis of Randy going from being a local guitar player to becoming a legend."

Asked why he is sharing his thoughts and feelings now, Sarzo said, " I owe him my career and I believe that I owe him my life. From what I have heard happened right before the crash, I owe him my life.

"[Randy's death] changed everybody. It changed Ozzy. Sharon tells me that he has never been the same again and I know that. It is a very important story. Ozzy and Sharon are celebrities but they know that there would be no Ozzy and Sharon without Randy. I am not a writer. I just want to make sure that all the facts that are important to the story are told. I want to make sure they are told from a factual point of view. There is so much misinformation on the Internet that it boggles my mind. I kept journals on the road because my accountant told me that I was basically an independent contractor and that I would need to show where I had been when it came time to do my taxes. I just wrote down where I had been, the capacity of the crowd and what the hotel was that we stayed at. There are itineraries that I have from that time that are wrong. We had shows that were cancelled and we got kicked out of hotels and that changed things. You are not going to find anything on the Internet about the tours we did in Europe that got cancelled because Ozzy got put into a mental institution. The 'Diary' tour that we did in England with the band GIRL only lasted 4-5 shows before Ozzy was put into an institution. Very few people know that we were opening up for SAXON in October. Again, it was cancelled quickly because Ozzy had a mental breakdown. I have every single date we did. I cataloged everything. I have all the reviews. I even made comments on the reviews. They called Ozzy Benny Hill. They said he was a fat, over the hill singer who would never amount to anything. He is the biggest celebrity in the world. Who does not know Ozzy Osbourne? I think that it is really ironic. All these journalists never gave him the light of day."

Read Rudy Sarzo's entire interview with Classic Rock Revisited at this location.

Sun May 02, 2004 5:31 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2