View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 PPL WHO ACTUALLY LIKE METALLICA COME HERE 
Golden God

gilbertojosh wrote:
If you start making music to just please other people, you're already missing the point of making music!

I agree with that statement 100%. But I don't agree that Metallica made Load/Reload or St. Anger to please themselves (even though that's what they would have you believe).

An example of a musician with true artistic integrity is Yngwie Malmsteen. Sure, he's an asshole. But he has never abandoned his style of music because it went out of fashion. He was single-handedly responsible for the rise in popularity of neo-classical metal. And when shred was declared dead and neo-classical was no longer selling records, did Yngwie switch to grunge? Hell no. And when Yngwie lost his U.S. record deal, did Yngwie switch to alternative rock? Shit no. And when Nu-metal became big, did Yngwie stop playing guitar solos? Fuck no. Because Yngwie is making music to please himself and he has stayed true to his musical vision. You may or may not like his music. You may think he's an asshole. But you have to respect him as an artist and a musician.

Compare that to Metallica. They were the pioneers of thrash metal. They mocked the hair-metal bands as posers. They made their way out of the underground scene on the strength of bootleg tapes traded by fans. When they got a record deal, they didn't get any radio play and they didn't care. They refused to make videos or kiss MTV's ass. The true Metallica fans respected that attitude and were fiercely loyal to the band. But gradually, Metallica turned their backs on their true fans, in favor of fame, fortune, and love of MTV-watching pre-teens. They started making videos. They shortened their songs and made them less complex in order to make them more radio/MTV friendly. Then, when metal was in full decline, they abandoned thrash all together and morphed from Metallica to Alternica with the release of Load. They sued their own fans for downloading their songs. They followed every trend (collaborating with rappers, recording with symphonies, not playing solos, etc.). They did everything they could to kiss the ass of MTV (culminated by the embarrassing MTV Icon show). In short, the fucking sold out. They say they were doing it all just to please themselves? Well, actions speak louder than words.

HELL YEA, DOC!!! Could'nt have said it better myself. I'm gonna have to start calling you "The Umpire", cause you calls it likes you sees it!!!!

Sat Jan 03, 2004 7:31 pm
Profile WWW
Dr. X

Actually, for me Metallica means Dave Mustaine....
He was the mastermind behind their 3 first albums (you can hear his influence in every second of each song of the first 3 albums).
Cliff holded the creative space....he died, and...well....Metallica, as we knew it, died to.
Now we´re in front of "Badallica"

Dave Mustaine had Absolutely Nothing to do With Master of Puppets (look in the booklet...his name isn't on any of the songs)As For your second statement...I have 4 words for you. ...AND JUSTICE FOR ALL. Easily one of the best heavy metal albums EVER!! BY far metallica's HEAVIEST, maybe most melodic...and either 1st or 2nd best guitar album they have. Also, Jason was probably my favorite member. Why you ask?? Watch both Live SHit DVDs. He gets the crowd going unlike no one I have ever seen. Watch him circle bang...he is ROWDY!

Funkcongress wrote:
Its been said before but, Metallica died with Cliff Burton. BTW,
See the afformentioned statement.

PGM 10th KATTA!! wrote:
WTF is heavy Metal without fu*king solo's!!!!
Nu-Metal

Original thoughts: HEY, I couldn't help but notice that the thread title is: PPL WHO ACTUALLY LIKE METALLICA COME HERE!!

Sure...Reload and St. Anger isn't my cup of tea...but u can't hold that against everything else they have done.

LOAD: Ok ...this isn't "metallica"...but it is a Great rock album. If this was a debut record from a different band...I'd TOTALLY dig it. Its like Dream THeater's "Falling into Infinity": It's not very "Dream THeater" But it is one fucking GREAT album.

Now enough flames...Metallica is by far the COOLEST heavy metal band name EVER. And nothing beats the OLD logo!

I have all of their albums, Cliff 'em All, Live Sh*t: Binge and Purge, and Cunning Stunts. I also recorded VH1's METALLICA night (Behind the music, S&M clips, fanclub, and Rock Show), and MtvICON.

*Hey Chad*: How's this for solidifying my Responses as a twin guitar heavy metal fan?! :P :twisted: :lol: ...I'm not serious...don't ban me please.

For those of u who don't get the question I asked chad: Please See: Racer X discussion-What Next - Page 2
http://www.racerxband.com/board/viewtop ... 2&start=20

I must break you

Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:39 pm
King Of The Monsters

Guitarp77 wrote:
He was the mastermind behind their 3 first albums (you can hear his influence in every second of each song of the first 3 albums).
Cliff holded the creative space....he died, and...well....Metallica, as we knew it, died to.

Dave Mustaine had Absolutely Nothing to do With Master of Puppets (look in the booklet...his name isn't on any of the songs)As For your second statement...I have 4 words for you. ...AND JUSTICE FOR ALL. Easily one of the best heavy metal albums EVER!! BY far metallica's HEAVIEST, maybe most melodic...and either 1st or 2nd best guitar album they have. Also, Jason was probably my favorite member. Why you ask?? Watch both Live SHit DVDs. He gets the crowd going unlike no one I have ever seen. Watch him circle bang...he is ROWDY!

Won´t discuss about Newsted, he surely had some stage precence.
About And Justice, let me say 3 words: RUST IN PEACE. If u wanna hear good riffs, great solos or creative & complex stuff, listen to that album and the discussion is over.
About Mustaine in MOP, I clearly said that his influence in the first 3 albums is huge, not saying that he WROTE the tunes...
Clear?

Image Image

Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:47 pm
Profile WWW
Dr. X

MtllcaDT57 wrote:
Guitarp77 wrote:

Won´t discuss about Newsted, he surely had some stage precence.
About And Justice, let me say 3 words: RUST IN PEACE. If u wanna hear good riffs, great solos or creative & complex stuff, listen to that album and the discussion is over.
About Mustaine in MOP, I clearly said that his influence in the first 3 albums is huge, not saying that he WROTE the tunes...
Clear?

For the first part...YOU ARE 100% RIGHT! Rust in Peace is one of 2 Megadeth Albums I have. EVERY SONG (except Dawn Patrol) kicks MAJOR ass. I just wish they would have played more of it on the Rude Awakening DVD. It might be better than Justice...I just grew up a metallica fan. About MOP...they all had the same influences in general...so its not generally mustaine. I agree somewhat with u about "influence". As Megadeth themselves said on the DVD...they use techniques from all former members in song writing, all of which have brought positive influence into the band.

I must break you

Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:07 am
is O.H.B.

I saw them in Daytona Beach FL during the "And Justice for All" tour w/
QueensReich - not sure if I spelled that correctly...the bus had "Guess Who" on the front --- very big all day party in a parking lot b4 Metallica...

But the concert was perhaps one of the best I'd seen besides Rush/Mr.Big
and Aerosmith -

mgt

Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:43 am
Profile WWW
King Of The Monsters

Image Image

Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:45 am
Profile WWW
Dr. X

Babe, is QUEENSRÿCHE!
ew...he even has the special Y with the double dot above it...nice.

I must break you

Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:52 am
King Of The Monsters

Sadly, capitol Y doesn´t fit, that´s why I have to make it y not Y :P

Image Image

Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:56 am
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

I'm out of this dicussion. I can't follow Doc, lol. Mainly cuz...he's right, so yeah. Good stuff...

Sun Jan 04, 2004 6:44 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

I'm out of this dicussion. I can't follow Doc, lol. Mainly cuz...he's right, so yeah. Good stuff...

Seriously man. Everything he say's is PERFECT. Damn educated folk.... :wink:

Sun Jan 04, 2004 7:01 am
is evil...Evil Joe

I can follow doc, i can see what he is saying, but that doesnt mean that we all have to agree, I started this thread for the ppl who dont care what metallica has done and still love them.... i started this so ppl who share the same love for racer x and metallca can come here and discuss them... I didnt start this to defend metallica from all the bloodthirsty ppl who feel butthurt that metallica actually did something different... who cares if they did do it all for money... who cares if they did do it for MTV and all the pre-teens, WHO FUCKING CARES... they are metallica, they have rocked with the best, and rocked more than 99.9% of every band on the planet... They pioneered heavy metal as we know it... for that, i think respect is earned... if you dont think that they deserve respect for doing what they did, then fine, dont give it to them, but dont come here telling everyone who still does respect them why we shouldnt... Metallica has evolved into something they obviously like, otherwise they wouldnt do it... they have plenty of money from the black album tours to take care of whatever they desire... The opinion is yours, but this thread was supposed to be positive... so unless you have a positive opinion towards metallica, please.. spare us, start a thread that is titled "PPL WHO HATE CARVINBASSFACE COME HERE TO TALK SHIT ON METALLICA"

Peter Gibbons: It's not that I'm lazy, It's just that I don't care...

Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:15 am
King Of The Monsters

they are metallica, they have rocked with the best, and rocked more than 99.9% of every band on the planet...They pioneered heavy metal as we know it... for that, i think respect is earned...

That band is over my friend...sorry :shock:

Image Image

Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:27 pm
Profile WWW
is O.H.B.

Actually, I am pretty sure Metallica are into giving back to their fans what they can in the show - they spend ALOT of money on the show and put on one of the best shows I've ever seen...James Hetfield & I met at the "TREEHOUSE" in Hollywood, FL back abt. 1984 and hung out for
a couple of weeks watching bands like "ARSON" & "ARGUS" also had
met Rob McGovney - these guys rock and are very, very nice people...
James is quite conversive and intelligent...and I know he loves putting on a great show...of course back then...wasn't able to afford to yet the shows he can put on now...they were METAL & considered underground and only heard of in the south by hard core rockers...he did however buy about 2 weeks worth of Long Island Iced Tea ! :wink: mgt

In 1984 very little metal got airplay on reg. stations... I had to go to Florida to see and hear bands on Z-rock...

Sun Jan 04, 2004 6:57 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

now they are hated for being "trendy".... it happens to all bands... Metallica hasnt lost their touch, just the support of some "fans"......

It doesnt happen to all bands. It happens to the weak bands, the money hungry publicity whores who are more concerned about gaining 6,000 new fans than keeping 500 of their best fans.

On Metallica, they dont give a flying fuck about the public, they only want more money. They could care less about the loyal fans that have followed them since the fucking day they played their first concert; they would dump 3 of their most loyal followers for 12 14-year old nu-metal kids in high school with dyed blue hair and spiked collars. This leads me to believe... Metallica isnt a band anymore. They're just business with guitars.

Yet, there are many bands out there who have a lot of popularity, yet REFUSE to sell out to their fans. Those are the bands I truly respect.

By the way, I've been a fan of Metallica since I got my first tape of them, Ride the Lightning, as a kid in 1993. I've been listening to their material for every coming year, and until Reload came out, I had not felt jipped at all by their music.

Sun Jan 04, 2004 7:56 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

youre right, they might not care about the loyal fans, but im sure they dont care if johnny rocker in hollywood is bangin his head to metallica either... its all what they want... if they want to write the shittiest album of all time, they CAN do so... it is their choice as an artist... no one asked you to say why metallica sucks... i just asked ppl who like metallica to come here to talk about it... like my 1st post in this thread said.. "this is redundant, im the only one in here" because im the only one who is still dedicated to the band you all hate... i already know how much you all hate metallica or at least the "new" "sucktallica" as you guys put it... thats fine, but maybe one or two of us might want to say good things about them without having to wade through 10 messages of smack talk then defend our band before even thinking of discussing their good points

Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:23 pm
is O.H.B.

:roll: :wink:
U guys rule...

How unfortunate...music is also a business... :wink:

I would certainly look into the big picture and hopefully
realize the band has probably gone through more than
others and knowing James Hetfield...to be a down-to-earth real human
with good sense - I will ALWAYS LOVE METALLICA - no matter what...
luv,
MOM

Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:00 pm
Profile WWW
Dr. X

Wow...consider this a request to lock this thread. It has turned into a flame war and has gottten far offtopic from the title. Atleast I learned not to say Metallica in the forum.

I must break you

Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:11 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

LOL that aint no joke... haha... nevermore will i utter the name of my favorite band, because i count 3 users who actually still like them and give them the hard earned respect they diserve... whatver tho... ppl will have opinions as long as they breathe and ppl will disagree cuz its fun ;-) I know metallica is the best metal band to ever play music, thats fine if you dont... everyone who agrees, cool for you, youve got good taste... everyone who doesnt, i dont really care anymore.. as long as I know they are MY favorite band, its all that matters

Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:11 am
Viking Kong

I dont think Metallica deserves any respect. They cheated their fans of the true music most people know them for, and lost all of their integrity to sell themselves out to the media.

This hasnt turned into a flame thread, man, you havnt even SEEN a flame thread if you consider this one. And just cuz a thread goes off topic doesnt mean its time to kill it off.

Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:59 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

i dont think we should kill it off... and if you dont think that metallica deserves respect, then dont give it to them.. nuff said

Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next