View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 PPL WHO ACTUALLY LIKE METALLICA COME HERE 
Viking Kong

Wow...Doc NAILED it right on the head! I love everything up to St. Anger....well, not so much reload, but everything else I love. I can't wait to see them again this year...
ps-David, my dad is working on getting the tickets....

Thu Jan 01, 2004 9:01 am
King Of The Monsters

Couldn´t have said that better!

Image Image

Thu Jan 01, 2004 8:08 pm
Profile WWW
is evil...Evil Joe

doc has a point, their newer stuff hasnt been that great... but that doesnt change them as a band.. they can still play it... they are still the same guys that wrote it... i started this thread cuz i was tired of all the smack talk and the "craptallica" namecalling... but whatever, everyone has their opinions and try as i might, i will never escape them... not as long as i appreciate good music... im just interested to see how quickly any of the so called "Die Hard Racer-X fans" will turn when they catch on and become popular... the music could stay the same but im sure other ppl will still hate them just because its the cool thing to do...

P.S. Im sorry if i offended anyone, this statement is purely my opinion.. but RacerX is godly, always have been and always will be... i would buy their albums if they put out a rap record (wouldnt happen, but its the principle..) If you truly love a band, you love them forever... not until they make some mistakes that you rag on them forever for...

Fri Jan 02, 2004 6:56 am
Superhero

im just interested to see how quickly any of the so called "Die Hard Racer-X fans" will turn when they catch on and become popular... the music could stay the same but im sure other ppl will still hate them just because its the cool thing to do...

Popularity has abso-fu*king-lutely nothing to do with great music!!!!
C'mon!!.... No solo's for Metallica!!!! WTF!! WTF is heavy Metal without fu*king solo's!!!! :evil: :evil:

....Bottom line.... Metallica lost the touch.... Period....

Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:34 am
is evil...Evil Joe

I agree completely... but alas, others seem to think otherwise... another great band "Children of Bodom" were an unknown band from finland in the small town of murrieta, ca... ppl loved them here, until they got 2nd billing on a US tour with Dimmu Borgir, and now they are hated for being "trendy".... it happens to all bands... Metallica hasnt lost their touch, just the support of some "fans"......

Peter Gibbons: It's not that I'm lazy, It's just that I don't care...

Fri Jan 02, 2004 8:11 am
God Of The Sun

beautiful point. Me and y best friend were talking tonight about the bands that really made us start out, and of course it was kiss, and the other band was no doubt about it, Metallica. They haven't lost it, just the support of fans. I mean ok, so you hate the new album.....I don't like either! lol...but you can't take away what made you like them. Those first 5 albums changed my life...there are some REALLY good songs off load and RE load...but those first 5....WOW. Bottom line, WOW.

As far as fans being all anti RX if they got popular....wouldn't suprise me. It's happened to DT, people can't stand their little favorite band being liked by people would "don't take it serious." Who cares, you can still go in your room put the music on and get lost, right?

I guess I thought that was what it was about for a listener...

As far as them being popular, I'm nothing but happy for them. I'm a musician and....yeah, it's what I'd like to say difficult. It's hard to bring in ANY money. Oh well, thats the life.

Fri Jan 02, 2004 8:58 am
Profile WWW
Superhero

I mean ok, so you hate the new album.

I hear ya man, but dont say hate man, that's the root of all negativity, lol.... :twisted:

What I meant by popularity had nothing to do with the music.... Metallica lost the talent pool.... It is dry now, and you must admit it.... You talk of how DT had the same thing happen.... Bullshit, in my book, their only problem is that they havent "evolved" into something new and fresh.... People appreciate change, but it better be a caliber above the last.... I grew up a RUSH maniac and had all their albums up to Signals.... From then on they went too much electronica in my opinion.... Neal relearned his drumstick hold and no solo's to die for by Alex.... They lost me there.... Not because they became F*CKING POPULAR!!.... RUSH was alway's popular.... I just did'nt like the direction they were taking.... Now.... Look at Joe Satriani.... With every album comes a different avenue.... Each one different from the last.... He has continually evolved from his humble beginning's.... He is very popular now, but hasnt lost his ability to keep us going with new fresh material.... He's got a new sig amp now by Peavey and is releasing a new sig series git to boot this month.... New album in April, and still shred's head's w/ Malmsteen and will go to Europe w/ G3 later this year!!
JOE is a fine example of popularity having nothing to do with his music!! We are talking MUSIC people.... Popularity played no role in Metallica's demise.... They simply cannot write the same songs over and over again.. Kirk has used up his riff catalog.... :roll:

Fri Jan 02, 2004 1:05 pm
God Of The Sun

TheSurgeon wrote:

RULES!!!!

SUCKS!!!

LoL...That old logo reminds me why I love Metallica. Good stuff.
notice the rust on the newer logo? that is an indicator of their performance.

"playing the crazy double neck,screaming my lungs out,playing crazy licks.....enjoy!"

My future ex-wife is Milla Natasha Jovovich..... and monkeys will fly out of my butt.

Fri Jan 02, 2004 1:41 pm
Unt! I move topics!

doc has a point, their newer stuff hasnt been that great... but that doesnt change them as a band.. they can still play it... they are still the same guys that wrote it... i started this thread cuz i was tired of all the smack talk and the "craptallica" namecalling... but whatever, everyone has their opinions and try as i might, i will never escape them... not as long as i appreciate good music... im just interested to see how quickly any of the so called "Die Hard Racer-X fans" will turn when they catch on and become popular... the music could stay the same but im sure other ppl will still hate them just because its the cool thing to do...

P.S. Im sorry if i offended anyone, this statement is purely my opinion.. but RacerX is godly, always have been and always will be... i would buy their albums if they put out a rap record (wouldnt happen, but its the principle..) If you truly love a band, you love them forever... not until they make some mistakes that you rag on them forever for...

I completely disagree. Metallica has changed as a band. I still love all my old Metallica CDs. But I have completely lost respect for all of the members of Metallica because of all the bullshit they have pulled over the last decade. I don't hate them because they got popular ... I hate them because they got greedy and because they changed in order to become more popular. They abandoned thrash (the style they pioneered) and made their music more radio/MTV friendly because they wanted to sell more records ... that's selling out in my book - a complete betrayal of their true fans. The music sucks now. And I'm supposed to "love them forever" no matter how much the music sucks? That's ridiculous.

Would you stay married to your wife and love her forever if you found out she was sleeping with hundreds of other guys behind your back? That's how I feel about Metallica ... they betrayed me. They're not the band I fell in love with anymore. Fuck 'em.

Fri Jan 02, 2004 3:01 pm
Profile WWW
Golden God

CarvinBassface wrote:

I completely disagree. Metallica has changed as a band. I still love all my old Metallica CDs. But I have completely lost respect for all of the members of Metallica because of all the bullshit they have pulled over the last decade. I don't hate them because they got popular ... I hate them because they got greedy and because they changed in order to become more popular. They abandoned thrash (the style they pioneered) and made their music more radio/MTV friendly because they wanted to sell more records ... that's selling out in my book - a complete betrayal of their true fans. The music sucks now. And I'm supposed to "love them forever" no matter how much the music sucks? That's ridiculous.

Would you stay married to your wife and love her forever if you found out she was sleeping with hundreds of other guys behind your back? That's how I feel about Metallica ... they betrayed me. They're not the band I fell in love with anymore. Fuck 'em.

Right on, Doc!!! They became EVERYTHING they were against(In the old days).

Fri Jan 02, 2004 3:14 pm
Profile WWW
King Of The Monsters

notice the rust on the newer logo? that is an indicator of their performance.

LMAO!

Image Image

Fri Jan 02, 2004 4:46 pm
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

Never looked at it that way...

Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:10 pm
Profile WWW
is evil...Evil Joe

good point doc, id dump the bitch too... but that scenario isnt exactly accurate... Metallica didnt just change for MTV, they changed because it was what they felt was right... They changed because THEY wanted to... The popularity thing just has to do with money, but the style of music is purely the artists decision, especially a band like Metallica that the record label doesnt bug... The only exception to that is the little one hit wonder bands who have record labels telling them to write poppy songs to sell records. James and the boys have had the same talent, same songwriting skills and same love for the music as they have had since "Bay Area Bashers"... and there is a reason that ALL of their albums have gone at least 2x platinum... Its because METALLICA is a very great band that has written and is still capable of writing good songs (so f*cking what if they choose not to) It would be like if your wife started dressing differently because she wanted to, but you didnt like it... would you hate her then?

Fri Jan 02, 2004 8:58 pm
Godzilla

I wanna know how people who say they changed because 'they felt it was right' can back that the fuck up. Is it because that's what Metallica themselves say? Does that mean you believe that Kirk's solos 'didn't go with the songs', and didn't just plain suck? They clearly put nothing into that album, they couldn't even be bothered to sort the fuckin' snare disater out. St. Anger was a pure cashin, nothing more. Either that, or it was just a really bad attempt to turn nu-metal and attract all the fags that like Linkin Park, Korn, etc. Although, I guess the two wouldn't be entirely unrelated.

It wouldn't be like your wife dressing differently because she felt like it. It'd be like her whoring herself to some nu-metal geek, and expecting you to accept it (St. Anger), even after she'd gotten fatter (Load), and let her muff grow out (Reload). So basically, you'd be mad to stay with the bitch.

Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:18 pm
Profile YIM
God Of The Sun

I'm sorry, I fail to see where you guys are getting that Metallica made ALLLLL this money from ST. Anger. Not only that even Load, and Reload...

Black album sold more then all 3 of those combined.

I've never understood this, people think that Metallica made ALLLL this money from those albums. I'd bet everything I have that they made most of their money on the tour supporting the black album. What was that, oh yeah some 150+dates? Yeah...what other bands do that? I can't think of any. Strange...

Sat Jan 03, 2004 6:43 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

I'd bet everything I have that they made most of their money on the tour supporting the black album. What was that, oh yeah some 150+dates? Yeah...what other bands do that? I can't think of any. Strange...

If I remember correctly(I'm sure carvin knows for sure), but wasnt it almost constant touring between 1991-1993? There were more along the lines of 200 dates....now if that isn't damned respectable, I sure as hell couldn't tell you what is.

Sat Jan 03, 2004 7:36 am
is evil...Evil Joe

it was actually about 220 dates... and the load/reload tours kinda combined
they stopped touring for maybe 3 months for the reload release, then back on the road... and no, its not that kirks solos suck, and the album wasnt made just for money... it was an artistic choice... and again, its not like your wife whoring herself out, they changed their music a lil, not their target audience, they didnt change to attract more ppl, they changed because it was what they wanted to do. that is what they said, that is what they did... i can totally back them... as earlier stated, Satriani's albums change EVERY SINGLE ONE, all of his albums have different themes and shit... PPL GET BORED DOING THE SAME THING ALL THE TIME, so you change, and it doesnt matter if some dumbasses think that you suck, it only matters what you, THE ARTIST, thinks about your own music... Metallica has enough money, they dont need to please the masses...

Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:58 am
Superhero

PPL GET BORED DOING THE SAME THING ALL THE TIME, so you change, and it doesnt matter if some dumbasses think that you suck, it only matters what you, THE ARTIST, thinks about your own music... Metallica has enough money, they dont need to please the masses...

Very good point.... Everyone has their own likes and dislikes, and in my book, I wanna hear Kirk go off!!!!.... lol :wink: :twisted:

Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:57 pm
God Of The Sun

and it doesnt matter if some dumbasses think that you suck, it only matters what you, THE ARTIST, thinks about your own music

Beautiful! If you start making music to just please other people, you're already missing the point of making music! At least for me, making music is expressing a part of me that can't be let out any other way. If people dig it, thats awesome, but first and foremost...I'm making the music to express a part of me, not to please anyone else. Call it selfish, call it whatever you want.

(Josh doesn't give a flying fuck.)

Sat Jan 03, 2004 6:07 pm
Profile WWW
Unt! I move topics!

If you start making music to just please other people, you're already missing the point of making music!

I agree with that statement 100%. But I don't agree that Metallica made Load/Reload or St. Anger to please themselves (even though that's what they would have you believe).

An example of a musician with true artistic integrity is Yngwie Malmsteen. Sure, he's an asshole. But he has never abandoned his style of music because it went out of fashion. He was single-handedly responsible for the rise in popularity of neo-classical metal. And when shred was declared dead and neo-classical was no longer selling records, did Yngwie switch to grunge? Hell no. And when Yngwie lost his U.S. record deal, did Yngwie switch to alternative rock? Shit no. And when Nu-metal became big, did Yngwie stop playing guitar solos? Fuck no. Because Yngwie is making music to please himself and he has stayed true to his musical vision. You may or may not like his music. You may think he's an asshole. But you have to respect him as an artist and a musician.

Compare that to Metallica. They were the pioneers of thrash metal. They mocked the hair-metal bands as posers. They made their way out of the underground scene on the strength of bootleg tapes traded by fans. When they got a record deal, they didn't get any radio play and they didn't care. They refused to make videos or kiss MTV's ass. The true Metallica fans respected that attitude and were fiercely loyal to the band. But gradually, Metallica turned their backs on their true fans, in favor of fame, fortune, and love of MTV-watching pre-teens. They started making videos. They shortened their songs and made them less complex in order to make them more radio/MTV friendly. Then, when metal was in full decline, they abandoned thrash all together and morphed from Metallica to Alternica with the release of Load. They sued their own fans for downloading their songs. They followed every trend (collaborating with rappers, recording with symphonies, not playing solos, etc.). They did everything they could to kiss the ass of MTV (culminated by the embarrassing MTV Icon show). In short, the fucking sold out. They say they were doing it all just to please themselves? Well, actions speak louder than words.

Sat Jan 03, 2004 7:19 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next