View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Lemmy dead 
Godzilla

Post Lemmy dead
I would be telling a lie if I said that I was the least bit surprised to hear this.

Beyond that, I really don't know what to say right now, other than that I'm about to head over to YouTube to listen to some Motorhead songs...

Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:15 am
Viking Kong

Post Re: Lemmy dead
I love Motörhead.

They are probably in my top 5 favorite rock/metal bands.

I loved how loud they were, how messy they sounded, the growling of Lemmy's voice contrasting with all the other high pitched voices in metal, the fast beats, and the attitude of being all about the rock n roll sound and not be distracted by technique (on the instruments) or style (trying to convey an image or theme) or props or whatever is part of metal nowadays that makes bands look more like an act rather than a band.

For example I love Megadeth, and they have a standard of complex and technical guitar solos and themes of governmental oppression and rebellion. I like that in Megadeth, but I liked to think of Motörhead as this band I listen when I don't want to think about technical prowess and don't wanna hear lyrics about unrest and revolution. I could multiply the examples : Iron Maiden are famous for their World War II themes, Judas Priest for their leather, their demons, their motorcycles etc etc.

Motörhead were to me just rock, loud, intense, period. And that's why I love them.

I was very sad to hear Lemmy died, especially as I had been listening weekly to the live in Hammersmith album over the last couple months before his death, and my interest in Motörhead was especially high at the time I heard the news.

I spur stoic ass juice fossile !

Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:13 am
God Of The Sun

Acid Wire wrote:
and the attitude of being all about the rock n roll sound and not be distracted by technique (on the instruments) or style (trying to convey an image or theme) or props or whatever is part of metal nowadays that makes bands look more like an act rather than a band.

Ehhhhhh, that depends. I know plenty of newer bands that are all about rocking out with no theatrics or whatever. They obviously won't reach Five Finger Death Punch-like status (or whatever's popular these days) but they do exist. Case in point: Speedwolf and Inepsy.

With that being said, I could never get into Motõrhead (I kinda dig Overkill but that's it) but I respected the fuck out of Lemmy's career both because of what he did with his band and as a musician. Always loved his bass's tone and what it added to the overall sound. And he did seemed a really down-to-earth guy too, at least from the interviews I watched. His problem was just living a bit too fast, I guess.

Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:45 pm
Viking Kong

Simon wrote:
Acid Wire wrote:
and the attitude of being all about the rock n roll sound and not be distracted by technique (on the instruments) or style (trying to convey an image or theme) or props or whatever is part of metal nowadays that makes bands look more like an act rather than a band.

Ehhhhhh, that depends. I know plenty of newer bands that are all about rocking out with no theatrics or whatever. They obviously won't reach Five Finger Death Punch-like status (or whatever's popular these days) but they do exist. Case in point: Speedwolf and Inepsy.

With that being said, I could never get into Motõrhead (I kinda dig Overkill but that's it) but I respected the fuck out of Lemmy's career both because of what he did with his band and as a musician. Always loved his bass's tone and what it added to the overall sound. And he did seemed a really down-to-earth guy too, at least from the interviews I watched. His problem was just living a bit too fast, I guess.

Well I didn't say there were no other bands that are more about rocking out than being an act, so thanks for sharing these links with me !
I'll listen to it this after now.

I also stress that I like bands with a theme or a certain style. But Motörhead was the band I liked when I wanted something else. It's all about balance in my listening repertoire !

I agree with Lemmy's attitude, though I have to say that his life was paradoxical in some way : he lived the real rockstar life, all about rocking and never caring for the nonsense and the business side of things... but his lifestyle was made possible by letting other people around him take care of the business aspect of things, and with a whole crew around him working industrially on the marketing and all other non rock n' roll aspects of being in a famous rock band. So he had the true rock n roll/punk attitude, but was willing to let a lot of things happen around him that were quite the opposite of his lifestyle.

I don't mean to point out a flaw in Lemmy, but I see it as a little bit of a paradox. Great dude nevertheless.

Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:50 am
God Of The Sun

Yeah, sorry, I was a bit rash there :P. It just that it bothers me a bit when people assume that metal ended in the early 90s or something like that (not saying that you did), when I listen to so many great bands that formed in the past 10 years, for example.

About Lemmy, yeah, it is a bit paradoxical, I agree. But if have you a band like Motörhead, I can understand delegating that stuff and focusing on rocking out. I don't think he would be the same if he had to do all that.

Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:12 pm
Viking Kong

Simon wrote:
I don't think he would be the same if he had to do all that.

That would be Gene Simmons I think !

Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:18 pm
God Of The Sun

Gene Simmons replacing Lemmy in Motörhead. Now that would've been something.

Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:56 pm
Godzilla

I don't have very many Motorhead albums, so far.

I have a CD of Another Perfect Day. I think I got it at a Big Lots years ago.

I have a cassette of March Or Die and several Motorhead Best Of compilations on cassette.

Money is a little tight here right now, but eventually I'll probably get some more Motorhead albums.

Anyone have a recommendation of which to get first, not counting the ones named above?

Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:58 am
God Of The Sun

I'd go with Overkill.

Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:39 pm
Viking Kong

Gringo300 wrote:
I don't have very many Motorhead albums, so far.

I have a CD of Another Perfect Day. I think I got it at a Big Lots years ago.

I have a cassette of March Or Die and several Motorhead Best Of compilations on cassette.

Money is a little tight here right now, but eventually I'll probably get some more Motorhead albums.

Anyone have a recommendation of which to get first, not counting the ones named above?

Live in Hammersmith
Bomber
Inferno

My favorites.

Another Perfect Day is good !
I think it was something new for Motörhead having someone from Thin Lizzy in the band.
Back it the day that album didn't do well though. I believe however it's a great album in the Motörhead discography.

Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:40 pm
Godzilla

Acid Wire wrote:
I love Motörhead.

They are probably in my top 5 favorite rock/metal bands.

I loved how loud they were, how messy they sounded, the growling of Lemmy's voice contrasting with all the other high pitched voices in metal, the fast beats, and the attitude of being all about the rock n roll sound and not be distracted by technique (on the instruments) or style (trying to convey an image or theme) or props or whatever is part of metal nowadays that makes bands look more like an act rather than a band.

For example I love Megadeth, and they have a standard of complex and technical guitar solos and themes of governmental oppression and rebellion. I like that in Megadeth, but I liked to think of Motörhead as this band I listen when I don't want to think about technical prowess and don't wanna hear lyrics about unrest and revolution. I could multiply the examples : Iron Maiden are famous for their World War II themes, Judas Priest for their leather, their demons, their motorcycles etc etc.

Motörhead were to me just rock, loud, intense, period. And that's why I love them.

I was very sad to hear Lemmy died, especially as I had been listening weekly to the live in Hammersmith album over the last couple months before his death, and my interest in Motörhead was especially high at the time I heard the news.

I've been listening to the first four Megadeth albums over and over for the last few days, and I'm kind of burned out on them right now. I'm working on getting burned out on Countdown To Extinction.

I'm not as familiar with Megadeth's more recent albums.

Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]