View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Led Zeppelin 
Godzilla

Post Led Zeppelin
I'm just now starting to get into Led Zeppelin.

Which Led Zeppelin albums should I get first?

Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:09 am
Motorman

Post Re: Led Zeppelin
ALL OF THEM SIMULTANEOUSLY NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone should have everything Zeppelin ever did. Well, maybe not the last album.....

Make your life a LOT better and get everything you can find. If you want opinions (I say this now because the statements above are not opinions) the first album, Houses of the Holy, and Presence really get my rocks off. Physical Graffiti is a fucking thunderstorm of inspiration all the way through as well.

But yeah, I've got bootlegs up to here if anyone needs help tracking 'em down.

Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:51 am
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

If I were you, I'd watch the Paul Gilbert + Mike Portnoy + Dave LaRue + Daniel Gildenlow tribute band called Hammer of the Gods. They played most of my favorite Led Zep songs. Robert Plant sings better, of course, but the mixing and live playing just sounds amazing.

Then branch out from there. Check out their other songs

Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:07 am
Dr. X

Listen to the albums in order of their appearance....and buy them.
If you just have a few bucks but want a lot of tracks then buy one of their greatest hits collections, i dont like them .. no album character.

Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:17 am
Viking Kong

Zeppelin Two!

But, if you can do it all at the same time, that couldn't hurt.

Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:28 am
Viking Kong

Led Zeppelin is one of my favorite bands, but for some reason, I don't listen to them very often these days.

Although, whenever I watch them playing live, I isntantly remember why they're amongst my favorites! Their songs rock like no other band rocked before them, and their live shows were just mind blowing! Yes, Jimmy Page would mess up a lot, but that contributed to that raw, intense live experience they provided.

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:04 pm
Profile YIM
Viking Kong

Sir Robin wrote:
Led Zeppelin is one of my favorite bands, but for some reason, I don't listen to them very often these days.

Although, whenever I watch them playing live, I isntantly remember why they're amongst my favorites! Their songs rock like no other band rocked before them, and their live shows were just mind blowing! Yes, Jimmy Page would mess up a lot, but that contributed to that raw, intense live experience they provided.

Kind of how things are going for me really, they'll always be up there for me, I've been wearing the same Led Zeppelin cap for many years now, but I never seem to listen to them all that frequently.

When ever I do though, it instantly comes back, even the studio tracks, it just hits me.

Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:52 am
Motorman

I think I was in your shoes til about a week ago.

I listened to at LEAST an album a week, often daily, for about 15 years. For some reason, I kinda washed myself out of it. Something about about the production just didn't take. So I stopped listening for about a year and a half.

Popped some headphones on, dropped a needle on the first album, and it all came back.

They were the best.

Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:35 pm
Viking Kong

BTW

They're releasing the O2 Arena concert in selected movie theaters throughout the world!

Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:03 pm
Profile YIM
Viking Kong

Gringo300 wrote:
I'm just now starting to get into Led Zeppelin.

Which Led Zeppelin albums should I get first?

IMO you can't go wrong with Physical Graffiti. You'll get the most bang for the buck on that one... lots of songs, lots of layers, and a lot of variety. That album really shows how versatile those guys were (and it just plain kicks ass!). :wink:

Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:54 pm
King Of The Monsters

Best rock band ever with AC/DC.

Amazing.

You should buy EVERYTHING they did.

The first 4 albums show a great evolution in the bands sound. What I think of them is:

I: Great record, with tons of blues and with a band that was defining their sound;
II. Amazing. Whole Lotta Love, Lemon Song, Heartbreaker, Ramble On. Perfect (one of my top albums of the band)
III. More laid back and "folk" sounding, tons of acoustic guitars, but killer tunes. Can be tougher to swallow, but it is an amazing album all the way.
IV. The most classic of them all (although IMHO not the best). Black Dog, Rock & Roll, Stairway To Heaven...nuff said.
V. Houses Of The Holy. KILLER. It has my fav Zep song of all time (The Rain Song). Takes the band in a whole new level of musicianship and arangements.
VI. Physical Graffiti. Best album IMHO. Great songs, epic moments (Kashimr, what more can you say)...I guess this or "II" are the best albums to start with
VII. Presence. Achiless Last Stand. Nuff Said.
VII. In Through The Out Door. Not as inspired as the earlier albums, but still beats anything 95% of the bands that have ever recorded something.
VIII. Coda. Made as a leftover album, just after the death of Bonzo. I don´t count it as a band record, but just as a b-side compilation. The last album you should buy, that´s for sure.

Image Image

Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:41 pm
Profile WWW
Godzilla

Guitarp77 wrote:
VIII. Coda. Made as a leftover album, just after the death of Bonzo. I don´t count it as a band record, but just as a b-side compilation. The last album you should buy, that´s for sure.

It was the FIRST one I bought.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:57 pm
Viking Kong

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:13 pm
Profile YIM
Viking Kong

Gringo300 wrote:
Guitarp77 wrote:

It was the FIRST one I bought.

Doh! Well then go buy another. :P

Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:57 pm
Dr. X

yes, buy another

Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:48 am
Motorman

Codas great! I'd definitely put it above In Through The Out Door, if only for the riff in Walter's Walk.

Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:40 pm
Viking Kong

1. Zep I
2. Houses of the Holy
3. Physical Graffitti

Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:16 am
King Of The Monsters

Speaking of which...I´ve just bought my tickets for "Celebration Day" which is screening on cinemas next Friday...

ANyone here has seen it yet?

Can´t wait! The trailers look awesome!

Image Image

Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:42 am
Profile WWW
Godzilla

The Wal-Mart in the town I used to life near had all the rest of Led Zeppelin's studio albums (not including compilations, etc.) the last time I was there. I'm scheduled to go up there in several weeks for the wedding of one of my cousins. I HOPE at least Led Zeppelin III will still be in stock when I get up there.

Unfortunately, the Wal-Mart in the town I live in now isn't near as well stocked.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:33 am
Viking Kong

Jerhova wrote:
Codas great! I'd definitely put it above In Through The Out Door, if only for the riff in Walter's Walk.

Ozone Baby FTW!

Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next