View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Olympics Organizers Ask The Who's Keith Moon to Perform 
Viking Kong

Post Re: Olympics Organizers Ask The Who's Keith Moon to Perform
Dude, youtube is there. Soundcloud is there. Myspace (is it still there?).

My point is, nowadays you have more chances to come across music than you had in the 70's. Back then, there could have been another Rush or Van Halen in some garage, but we never heard about them, because they just couldn't get out there.

I myself have the feeling that nowadays there's so much new music that I have to choose what I'm going to listen to. For example, today I found a blog with lots of new Post Rock bands. They had some hours worth of music there, but I didn't find a single band that I liked. Back then, I would hardly find those bands, but I can, now.

Just search the internet, and I guarantee you'll find a lot of cool stuff.

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:50 am
Profile YIM
Godzilla

Lately, I've been listening to a lot of whole albums on YouTube.

I have doubts about how long any of these will remain on YouTube.

A few days ago, I listened to the Montrose album Jump On It on YouTube.

Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:09 am
Search Button God!

Gringo300 wrote:
Shouldn't that be, "YOU'RE just never gonna hear about them."?.

"You are never gonna hear about them?" Seriously?

Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:59 am
Godzilla

Lamer wrote:
Gringo300 wrote:
I didn't say none of the younger musicians had any talent or skill. But how many of them are in the same league as the above?

Probably a lot more than you can imagine. You'll just never gonna hear about them.

I've thought this through.

The point isn't just about technical skill, it's about innovativeness and pioneering.

Let's say, hypothetically and for example, there are a million guys, that many people don't even know exist and maybe never will, that can play guitar with every bit as much skill as Eddie Van Halen can, ever could, or ever will be able to WHO CAN PLAY JUST LIKE HIM, COPY HIM NOTE PER NOTE. The whole point is, Eddie Van Halen was a pioneer, who did things on guitar that no one did before. So maybe tons of guys have since, but so what?

How many people- no matter how technically skilled they are- are PIONEERS like people like Eddie Van Halen, Tony Iommi, Jimmy Page, etc.?

Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:46 pm
Search Button God!

Gringo300 wrote:
The point isn't just about technical skill, it's about innovativeness and pioneering.

Let's say, hypothetically and for example, there are a million guys, that many people don't even know exist and maybe never will, that can play guitar with every bit as much skill as Eddie Van Halen can, ever could, or ever will be able to WHO CAN PLAY JUST LIKE HIM, COPY HIM NOTE PER NOTE. The whole point is, Eddie Van Halen was a pioneer, who did things on guitar that no one did before. So maybe tons of guys have since, but so what?

How many people- no matter how technically skilled they are- are PIONEERS like people like Eddie Van Halen, Tony Iommi, Jimmy Page, etc.?

People were doing sweep picking in the 40's and 50's. As the guitar evolved so did the techniques of playing the instrument. I assure you that as soon as people got their hands on a brand new floating trem everyone messed around with it and did crazy shit. Eddie just made that shit mainstream.

Here's a story from LoQ to illustrate my point.

LoQ wrote:
One story I have of Andy was back when Yngwie’s first record “Rising Force” had just come out. My friend and I were waiting anxiously for it to come out (thanks to a sneak preview we got of Black Star via one of those floppy records that Guitar Player would include in its magazine) and bought it the day it hit the stores. We never heard anything like it before and were completely blown away (like most of us back then)! At the time we thought Yngwie was the guitar messiah and no one else would ever be able to touch him. My friend who was a student of Andy’s couldn’t wait for him to hear it. He thought Yngwie would absolutely blow Andy’s mind. So much so that he didn’t even wait for his lesson. He knew Andy hung out in the music department at the local university on Saturdays and went right down there to play it for him.

The next day I met up with him and I asked “So did you play it for Andy? What did he think” suddenly my Yngwie freak of a friend was all like “Eh…Yngwie’s no big deal.” I was like “Huh?!?! What the fuck are you talking about? Yngwie’s a freaking god, no one can play like him!” My buddy answered, “Andy can. I played it for him and he immediately played it right back to me on his guitar just as fast and accurate with no effort!”. Pretty amusing that Andy’s skills immediately turned my friend from thinking “Yngwie’s a god”, to “Yngwie’s no big deal” in seconds flat. :P

Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:39 am
Viking Kong

Lamer wrote:
People were doing sweep picking in the 40's and 50's. As the guitar evolved so did the techniques of playing the instrument. I assure you that as soon as people got their hands on a brand new floating trem everyone messed around with it and did crazy shit. Eddie just made that shit mainstream.

Here's a story from LoQ to illustrate my point.

LoQ wrote:
One story I have of Andy was back when Yngwie’s first record “Rising Force” had just come out. My friend and I were waiting anxiously for it to come out (thanks to a sneak preview we got of Black Star via one of those floppy records that Guitar Player would include in its magazine) and bought it the day it hit the stores. We never heard anything like it before and were completely blown away (like most of us back then)! At the time we thought Yngwie was the guitar messiah and no one else would ever be able to touch him. My friend who was a student of Andy’s couldn’t wait for him to hear it. He thought Yngwie would absolutely blow Andy’s mind. So much so that he didn’t even wait for his lesson. He knew Andy hung out in the music department at the local university on Saturdays and went right down there to play it for him.

The next day I met up with him and I asked “So did you play it for Andy? What did he think” suddenly my Yngwie freak of a friend was all like “Eh…Yngwie’s no big deal.” I was like “Huh?!?! What the fuck are you talking about? Yngwie’s a freaking god, no one can play like him!” My buddy answered, “Andy can. I played it for him and he immediately played it right back to me on his guitar just as fast and accurate with no effort!”. Pretty amusing that Andy’s skills immediately turned my friend from thinking “Yngwie’s a god”, to “Yngwie’s no big deal” in seconds flat. :P

This is LoQ, and I approve this message 8) :P

Also to further illustrate Lamer's point, check out video I have linked below. It from the Les Paul and Mary Ford TV show back in 1954. Watch from the 1:00 mark when Les begins his guitar solo. Les is pulling of some insane super fast sweep picking while ripping it up at lightning speed. This was filmed before Yngwie was born.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYlG7qb3iCs

Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:23 pm
Godzilla

I hadn't said a thing about Yngwie Malmsteen.

I'm sure Yngwie's a good guitarist, but he's always come across to me as... well, kind of a douchebag.

But, then again, Eddie Van Halen has also come across to me as kind of a douchebag for many years now.

...well maybe not just KIND OF...

Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:36 pm
Viking Kong

Gringo300 wrote:

I'm sure Yngwie's a good guitarist, but he's always come across to me as... well, kind of a douchebag.

But, then again, Eddie Van Halen has also come across to me as kind of a douchebag for many years now.

The point that Lamer (and myself) was making is that many people such as yourself have credited players for creating/pioneering new guitar techniques that have actually been in existence well before they came along. In Yngwie’s case most credit him for inventing sweep picking, a technique already used among quite a few jazz players, country players, etc for a number years before he was even born. Yngwie just popularized it. In Eddie’s case way too many people give him credit him for being the inventor of finger tapping. Not the case either. Not only has that technique been used and recorded on records dating as far back as the 1930s, but Paganini was known to have used this technique on the violin way back in the 1700s! Not to mention a number of rock guitarists “pre-Eddie” who used that technique as well such as Steve Hackett, Ace Frehley, Leslie West, Brian May, shit the list goes on and on... And for all those people who have credited Eddie for pioneering dive bombs are concerned, well I got a three word answer for them… Jimi Fucking Hendrix!

So I’m simply backing up Lamer’s statement that these players didn’t invent new techniques… they popularized ones that already existed.

Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:03 pm
Godzilla

LoQ wrote:
Gringo300 wrote:

The point that Lamer (and myself) was making is that many people such as yourself have credited players for creating/pioneering new guitar techniques that have actually been in existence well before they came along. In Yngwie’s case most credit him for inventing sweep picking, a technique already used among quite a few jazz players, country players, etc for a number years before he was even born. Yngwie just popularized it. In Eddie’s case way too many people give him credit him for being the inventor of finger tapping. Not the case either. Not only has that technique been used and recorded on records dating as far back as the 1930s, but Paganini was known to have used this technique on the violin way back in the 1700s! Not to mention a number of rock guitarists “pre-Eddie” who used that technique as well such as Steve Hackett, Ace Frehley, Leslie West, Brian May, shit the list goes on and on... And for all those people who have credited Eddie for pioneering dive bombs are concerned, well I got a three word answer for them… Jimi Fucking Hendrix!

So I’m simply backing up Lamer’s statement that these players didn’t invent new techniques… they popularized ones that already existed.

Ok, but did Jimi Hendrix invent that technique?

Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:18 am
Viking Kong

Gringo300 wrote:

No. Hendrix is proof that Eddie Van Halen did NOT invent that technique. In the same manner that Billy Gibbons, John Sykes, Rory Gallagher, Pat Travers, etc are proof that Zakk Wylde did NOT invent pinch harmonics.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:07 am
Godzilla

LoQ wrote:
Gringo300 wrote:

No. Hendrix is proof that Eddie Van Halen did NOT invent that technique. In the same manner that Billy Gibbons, John Sykes, Rory Gallagher, Pat Travers, etc are proof that Zakk Wylde did NOT invent pinch harmonics.

About Zakk Wylde, the question is: Does he CLAIM to have invented pinch harmonics? Anyway, I stopped taking anything Zakk Wylde says seriously a long time ago.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:09 am
Search Button God!

Gringo300 wrote:
Does he CLAIM to have invented pinch harmonics?

That's irrelevant.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:40 am
Viking Kong

Gringo300 wrote:
About Zakk Wylde, the question is: Does he CLAIM to have invented pinch harmonics?

I'm echoing Lamer's reply of… “That's irrelevant”. It’s also not the point. Once again… the point is (which I’ll repeat from my previous post)… “Many people such as yourself have credited players for creating new guitar techniques that have actually been in existence well before they came along”. IE: the comment quoted below...
Gringo300 wrote:
Eddie Van Halen was a pioneer, who did things on guitar that no one did before.

But to answer your most recent question… NO, Zakk Wylde has never claimed to have invented pinch harmonics. However that doesn’t stop those countless misinformed fans of his which I have crossed paths numerous times who actually believe that he did. Just like the countless fans that believe Eddie Van Halen invented finger tapping and dive bombs. Or the countless fans who believe Yngwie invented sweep picking and the use of the harmonic minor scale in rock music. Or the countless fans who believe Dimebag Darrell created the whammy squeal thing that has been done for years (and before you ask… NO, Dimebag Darrell had never claimed that he invented it). The list goes on and on...

Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:18 pm
Viking Kong

my greatgrandfathers-sisters-husbands-cousins-barbers-neighbors-son invented talking into a distorted humbucker...

FOR REALS EY!!!

:twisted:

Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:27 pm
Search Button God!

Xela is so old he invented crawling out of the sea to evolve...

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:53 pm
Viking Kong

Xela is so fucking old... ummmm wait a second, he's my age! Sigh... well then, nevermind. :oops:

Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:55 pm
Godzilla

Ok, this is all about the literal wording of what I said, rather than the point I was actually trying to get across.

Sure Eddie Van Halen has popularized some general techniques that others used before him. It's pretty well known that he received inspiration from Allan Holdsworth. I seriously doubt that he ever attempted to exactly copy him or anyone else, however.

Obviously, many, many people have tried to exactly copy Eddie Van Halen.

Believe me, I got past the point of viewing Eddie Van Halen as some kind of god a LONG time ago. Regardless of whether he invented anything or not, he's an egotistical, self-centered, self-righteous jerk of monstrous proportions. He couldn't pay me enough to agree to be in a band with him. If his brother Alex is any better than him, it isn't by very much. This doesn't stop me from listening to Van Halen's music.

Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:33 am
God Of The Sun

but Eddie Van Halen IS a god!

Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:49 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

Gringo300 wrote:
he's an egotistical, self-centered, self-righteous jerk of monstrous proportions. He couldn't pay me enough to agree to be in a band with him. If his brother Alex is any better than him, it isn't by very much.

no but how do you really feel?

Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:09 pm
Godzilla

Xelatunes wrote:
Gringo300 wrote:
he's an egotistical, self-centered, self-righteous jerk of monstrous proportions. He couldn't pay me enough to agree to be in a band with him. If his brother Alex is any better than him, it isn't by very much.

no but how do you really feel?

Now don't get me wrong, I like Van Halen's music, and Eddie's guitar playing and keyboard playing, and Alex's drumming, etc.. I will be the first to say that the Van Halen brothers are very good at what they do musically.

There was a time when I judged various musicians totally by what they do musically. I almost envisioned it like these people carried microphones and instruments around with them 24 hours a day and were either in the studio or on stage 24 hours a day.

Now, I realize more that these people have lives apart from music. They have opinions apart from music. They pay bills and taxes. They eat, drink, breathe air, and go to the bathroom like the rest of us. Many of them have wives and children. Quite a few of them probably have grandchildren by now.

I'm finding out more and more that many of the people I long admired for their musical ability and musical output are just plain jerks. Let's just say that I liked a lot of these people A LOT better when all I knew about them was their MUSIC.

For the musicians I still don't know much about besides their music- well, at this point I think I'd like to keep it that way.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next