View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Its Official: Van Halen to hit the road... 
Viking Kong

Post Re: Its Official: Van Halen to hit the road...
This album is not classic Van Halen, not Van Hagar, and not Van Halen III.

Seems like Van Halen has changed again, even though Roth has returned.
I'm listening to As Is, and some segments sound more heavy metal/trash metal oriented than what you'd expect from Van Halen, a band that used to be so borderline glam metal. Other segments of that same sound like punk rock. The intro to The Trouble With Never sounds like funk. Van Halen seems to be determined to return to being a hard rock band, just like back in the day, but on their way back to their roots, they brought other stuff with them that makes them sound like something else.

I'm not unhappy with that new Van Halen concept, but I can't help miss the classic vibe a little.

I'll buy the album anyway, to let the music industry know that I want more.

I spur stoic ass juice fossile !

Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:13 am
is evil...Evil Joe

I found only one track that made me head-bang: Stay Frosty

I really liked this song, with surprising dynamics, and the entire band playing together, with a real groove !

The rest of the album seems to have a lack of creativity, 'Tattoo' for example is ok for the introduction "Hello we're back!" but then I find 'The troubles with never' very boring.

I'd say 25% nice feeling, 50% ok it's cool, 25% bored.

I will listen more to the mix quality (that sometimes seems to me a problem (not on Stay frosty though)) when I have the real CD.

Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:48 pm
Viking Kong

I can't believe how fucking critical/picky some people are...... :roll:

This is brand new VAN FUCKING HALEN !!! And it's clearly the BEST thing they've done in YEARS!!!

How can you not go APE SHIT over the killer up tempo rock riffage of "China Town", "As Is", "Honeybabysweetiedoll", "Ouuta Space", etc...

I suggest listening to this disc LOUD !!! I'm blasting it through my 18" Toa monitors and the whole fucking house is shaking and dripping with VAN HALEN GOODNESS!!! 8)

Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:19 pm
Viking Kong

p.s. for those who havent bought the disc yet don't judge it by the first single "Tattoo"....

Tattoo's my least favorite song on the album, and while I understand why they used it as the first single (commercial nature) personally I would've chose something else as there are way better commercial tunes on the disc.... :chew:

ESPN Sportcenter has already been using "Beats Workin" in their highlights.... 8)

Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:25 pm
Viking Kong

I just finished listening to it and I think it fucking rocks!!! Ed sounds great and the solo to China Town... HOLY FUCK!!! :shock: I don't give a fuck if some of these songs are rehashes or remakes of old demo tunes. It's good stuff with EXCELLENT playing and I am very happy with this CD! So as far as I am concerned this cd delivers!

My reply to Sammy Hagar's bad mouthing of this cd is... Sammy who??? :roll:

I can't figure out why the record label would release Tattoo as the single. It's the weakest of the tunes on this cd.

Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:32 pm
Viking Kong

LoQ wrote:
I can't figure out why the record label would release Tattoo as the single. It's the weakest of the tunes on this cd.

to me, "Tattoo" is almost the "Roth version" of "Poundcake"..... :chew:

Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:42 pm
Viking Kong

I'll have to wait some more before getting it.

But yeah, I suppose I focused my reviews on the things that struck me as "different" from classic Van Halen.
Don't get me wrong : I think that album is good.

I spur stoic ass juice fossile !

Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:44 pm
Viking Kong

Xelatunes wrote:
LoQ wrote:

to me, "Tattoo" is almost the "Roth version" of "Poundcake"..... :chew:

That's a pretty fitting description. :lol:

I'm on my third listen of this cd and I have skipped right past Tattoo every single time. Tattoo is to A Different Kind Of Truth what Jump was to 1984. This CD has totally exceeded all of my expectations!! :D

Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:09 pm
Viking Kong

Tattoo is a shitty song, but I dig the other preview clips, they're pretty good. DLR's voice is really impressive...surprised how good it still is, I actually think it might be better than ever. They went for a really live sounding record this time around it seems like.

Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:32 am
Viking Kong

LoQ wrote:
Xelatunes wrote:
LoQ wrote:
Tattoo is to A Different Kind Of Truth what Jump was to 1984. This CD has totally exceeded all of my expectations!! :D

or what "One Foot Out The Door" was to "Fair Warning"..... :chew:

Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:38 am
Viking Kong

VAN HALEN played a special "rehearsal" show for their upcoming North American tour last night (Wednesday, February 8) at the Forum in Los Angeles.

VELVET REVOLVER/ex-GUNS N' ROSES guitarist Slash, who was one of the thousands of lucky people in attendance, tweeted after the concert, "VAN HALEN was killer tonight at the Forum. Eddie [Van Halen] was brilliant. So amazing to hear/watch."

The band's setlist was as follows:

01. You Really Got Me
02. Running With The Devil
03. She's The Woman
04. Somebody Get Me A Doctor
05. Tattoo
06. Everybody Wants Some
07. Beautiful Girls
08. Ice Cream Man
09. China Town
10. Dance The Night Away
11. Hot For Teacher
12. Blood And Fire
13. Guitar Solo
14. Panama
15. Jump

Fan-filmed video footage of last night's show can be seen below.

VAN HALEN will kick off its North American tour on February 18 in Louisville, Kentucky.

VAN HALEN's new album, "A Different Kind Of Truth", is likely to sell between 180,000 and 200,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release, according to industry web site Hits Daily Double. The estimate was based on one-day sales reports compiled after the record arrived in stores on February 7 via Interscope.

The first review of "A Different Kind Of Truth" was posted online last week at Antiquiet — and it was overwhelmingly positive. Critic Johnny Firecloud said that the band's first album with original singer David Lee Roth in 28 years is a "true return" and "screaming triumph," adding, "That old familiar feeling has returned, the unique flare of excitement that comes from a muscle car rhythm section led by a six-string wizard and a singing sexual megalodon with an ego that made Kanye look like a kid flaunting his new Spider-Man underoos — and the pipes to back up the strut."

The review acknowledged that much of the album is made up of material pulled from the band's archives, writing, "Thankfully, these songs do not sound like old men putting on the smelly old spandex and combing over the strays. Fresh is the operative word here, a supremely confident swing for the fences in an understandable progression from the obsessively romanticized pre-Hagar era."

First single and album opener "Tattoo" is described as the "low point for an otherwise fantastic album," which may offer hope to fans who have voiced displeasure with that track. Other songs cited as standout tracks include "She's The Woman", "You And Your Blues", "China Town" and "Stay Frosty".

The review concluded, "'A Different Kind Of Truth' will be remembered as evidence that a band can endure every cliche in the book and return, with the right focus, obsessed dedication and mojo, to a sweet spot of rejuvenation — one that holds the hand of nostalgia but doesn't go for the full embrace, leaning instead, wisely, toward evolution."

You Really Got Me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TD5lz_hanEI

Ed's solo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Me61Qlgqj5o&feature=player_embedded

8)

Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:48 pm
Unt! I move topics!

Xelatunes wrote:

One Foot Out The Door is cool as fuck. There is no suckage on Fair Warning (if I had to pick a weak track it would be "So This Is Love").

As for the new CD, after hearing Tattoo, Blood and Fire, and The Trouble With Never - I thought this CD was going to suck. But after listening to the rest of the CD, I was pleasantly surprised. It rocks pretty hard. I would rank it below all of the other Roth era albums, but it's better than any Van Hagar album.

Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:05 pm
Profile WWW
Dr. X

TheSurgeon wrote:
I would rank it below all of the other Roth era albums, but it's better than any Van Hagar album.

Damned with faint praise then, if it's worse than Diver Down... :shock:

Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:20 pm
Viking Kong

TheSurgeon wrote:
Xelatunes wrote:

One Foot Out The Door is cool as fuck. There is no suckage on Fair Warning (if I had to pick a weak track it would be "So This Is Love").

Never liked OFOTD and the only thing that made me tolerate the disco-esque "Push Comes To Shove" was Ed's solo.......Everything else on Fair Warning RULED!!! :chew:

Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:52 pm
King Of The Monsters

Holy shit, Ed´s playing is monumental.

Just heard it today and I was blown away by how GOOD this man plays.

LEGEND.

Image Image

Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:51 am
Profile WWW
Godzilla

Xelatunes wrote:
I can't believe how fucking critical/picky some people are...... :roll:

This is brand new VAN FUCKING HALEN !!! And it's clearly the BEST thing they've done in YEARS!!!

Yeah well it´s also the only thing they´ve done in years. :P
I bought it on the day it was released and the first couple listens did give me some great classic rock, but no song really stood out so far. Overall I still think it´s a good album and DLR + Eddie rip. I can´t believe Dave can still sing like that!

Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:11 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

Does anyone else think the guitar tone is REALLY weird?

Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:28 am
Viking Kong

VALERIE BERTINELLI SPEAKS TO WRIF-FM/DETROIT:
Tells Drew & Mike Without Wolfgang, There Wouldn't Be New Van Halen Music or Tour
(MARCH 2012) – On Wednesday, actress Valerie Bertinelli talked exclusively with radio affiliates of Envision Radio Networks' Guest Services. During an interview with Drew & Mike on WRIF-FM/Detroit, the ex-wife of rocker Eddie Van Halen explained there would not be a Van Halen tour or new album without their son, Wolfgang.
When asked about the backlash over Wolfgang heading out on tour instead of former Van Halen bassist Michael Anthony, Bertinelli gave the fans a new perspective. "You know, I loved Mike too. I thought he was a really nice guy. Still do. But the only way this tour is happening is because Eddie gets to play with his son Wolfie. Otherwise this tour wouldn't be going on. It really wouldn't," stated Bertinelli. "This brings joy to Ed. That's what he wants to do now­just have fun playing. As great as Mike is, this wouldn't be happening if Mike was still in the band," continued Bertinelli. "There would be no tour, there would be no album, there would be no nothing.
For any fans that are truly angry that Mike is not in the band anymore, well at least they get to see a version of the band, because they wouldn't be if Mike was. You're getting to see Dave and Ed and Al play together, and I know I am a proud mom and I am a little prejudice, but my son kicks ass! I mean he is an amazing musician," boasted Bertinelli.
Bertinelli was participating in the Guest Services tour to promote the return of Hot in Cleveland, which airs Wednesday nights at 10 pm ET/PT on TV Land

Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:33 pm
Motorman

I gotta say I'm really liking it.
It's just Van Halen style rock which has been missing for way too long.

From the clips I've seen, Eddie sounds great on this tour as well.
I hope they've got another album's worth of material waiting in the wings.

Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:37 pm
Viking Kong

The official video for "She's the Woman" has just been released...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj3ul98CnRg&ob=av2e

Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next