View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Its Official: Van Halen to hit the road... 
Unt! I move topics!

Post Re: Its Official: Van Halen to hit the road...
The new single is a disappointment (although not too much because my expectations are very low) - sounds more like a leftover Roth solo tune than a Roth-era Van Halen tune (even though it is a re-write of an old unreleased Van Halen tune). As for the rest of the album - we'll see. She's The Woman has always been my favorite unreleased Van Halen tune, so that has some promise (although I couldn't even listen to the youtube clip of that song from the Cafe Wha gig because the bass was drowning out the guitar - I certainly hope that isn't the case on the studio version).

I honestly don't think Van Halen is capable of writing real kick-ass hard rock music in 2012 - hope they prove me wrong, but I won't be holding my breath.

Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:41 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

The song is ok. I think I'm going to have to listen to it some more and let it grow on me. I do like it better than anything from the Van Hagar era, but to be fair David Lee Roth could just fart into a microphone while Eddie and Alex play and it I would like it better than Van Hagar.

Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:35 am
Viking Kong

I would need more time to make up my mind.

All I can say so far is that the music sounds a lot closer to classic Van Halen than Van Hagar and Van Halen III did.

I spur stoic ass juice fossile !

Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:25 am
Dr. X

Xelatunes wrote:
Its a "good" song.....not their greatest but it fits with the likes of "me wise magic" (the last studio recordings w/Roth), etc... I dig it...... :chew:

there are already SOOOO MANY haters talking shit.....its rediculous :roll: :evil:

All this "sounds modern, doesn't sound like Van Halen" is bullshit. It's about as classic VH as you're ever likely to get, given it's based on VH II era song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kCj0VfD22o

I don't think people shit on House of Pain just because it was an old demo track when they put it on 1984!

Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:12 am
Viking Kong

The other shit I'm tired of hearing is the "its not VH without Michael Anthony"....... While I agree that Mike's backing vox were unique back then and were a small part of the original VH "sound", I don't know ANYBODY that became a fan of or went to see VH live because of Mike... Lets face it, it's always been about Eddie and Dave.... Hell Mike didn't even play on most of the first 6 records... :roll:

I get the whole "loyalty to Mike" issue that fans have for him and that they're pissed at the brothers, but FUCK!!! stop already with the "it aint VH without Mikey....fuck Wolfie, etc, etc..." :roll: :evil:

:chew:

Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:35 pm
Motorman

I loaded the song into Audacity and played it back with a 5% tempo increase.
Sounds better to me just a little faster like that.

Personally I'd have changed the pre-chorus a little bit but other than that I can't complain. It's a damn catchy tune.

Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:34 pm
Viking Kong

.......Van Halen's A Different Kind Of Truth album has appeared for pre-sale around the world in the past few days. Australia will get the first taste of the album officially, with the February 3 release. In Japan the date is February 8 - the only bonus Japanese fans will get is a SHM-CD format disc plus a free poster with each CD or CD/DVD ordered. If interested, pre-order via CD Japan.

In related news, I heard from one retailer in the US that was invited to a playback of the album. He commented to me: "Overall, heavier than I expected. Highlights were China Town, Stay Frosty (think Ice Cream Man), Big River, Beats Workin' (reminds you of DOA in the verse). She's The Woman is a great track, we all thought it was a better track than the single."
Security for the presentation was super tight though - with the exec from Interscope flying in especially with a coded CD and then taking it back with him when he left. Seems the powers that be are doing everything possible to prevent a leak of the album.

Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:20 pm
Viking Kong

Xelatunes wrote:
.......Van Halen's A Different Kind Of Truth album has appeared for pre-sale around the world in the past few days. Australia will get the first taste of the album officially, with the February 3 release. In Japan the date is February 8 - the only bonus Japanese fans will get is a SHM-CD format disc plus a free poster with each CD or CD/DVD ordered. If interested, pre-order via CD Japan.

In related news, I heard from one retailer in the US that was invited to a playback of the album. He commented to me: "Overall, heavier than I expected. Highlights were China Town, Stay Frosty (think Ice Cream Man), Big River, Beats Workin' (reminds you of DOA in the verse). She's The Woman is a great track, we all thought it was a better track than the single."
Security for the presentation was super tight though - with the exec from Interscope flying in especially with a coded CD and then taking it back with him when he left. Seems the powers that be are doing everything possible to prevent a leak of the album.

Sweet! Thanks for all of these updates. 8)

Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:59 pm
Viking Kong

It's official, I like it.

I agree it sounds like a mix of the David Lee Roth Band and Van Halen, but I like both bands, and therefore I like this sound.
The solo is totally cool, I like the tone. I'd say it's closer to 1984 than Van Halen I, with the keyboards and the smooth guitar tone.

That song has a pretty soft hard rock (it that makes sense) feel to it, I like it, when I'm too tired to hear something roaring, I simply hope that somewhere on the album there'll be wild tunes, to rock my socks off when I'm full of energy and wanna get my ears smashed.

By itself, this song is good I think, I give it a good review, I might be harder to satisfy when I consider the entire album. I always expect at least one or two songs with a fast tempo, I hope that this Van Halen album delivers, because by experience I know that as rockers age they tend to get softer. If the whole album is like the song Tattoo, then I'll be a bit disapointed indeed.

I don't particularly miss Michael Anthony, some of you know that I didn't really like him as a musician, I'm happy to hear David Lee Roth, I think he has a great voice.

Last edited by Acid Wire on Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:00 pm
Viking Kong

"sonically / production wise", I think the guitars and drums are VERY close to the sound they had on "Balance" which is not a bad thing but very different from the early albums... :chew:

Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:50 pm
Viking Kong

well you knew that eventually the "peanut gallery" would have to chime in........... :chew:

Cack Blabbath: What do you think of [VAN HALEN] getting back together? I've got a question here which was not intended to be about them specifically, but big bands who get back together, are they doing it for the music or are they doing it for the money?

Hagar: Well, I'm not going to speculate why anyone does anything, but I'll tell you what, they waited so long and they're so not fan-friendly, and as big as VAN HALEN was in the past… That's what we used to argue about when I was in the band. I got thrown out because I didn't want to do a greatest-hits record. I said, "Why the fuck? We're the biggest band in the world. Every album we've done since I've been in the band has been No. 1, we've sold out every arena on the planet. Now why would you want to sell them the same old record again and give them two new tracks? Why do you want to do that to the fans?" And we got into it. They wanted to do it at that time for the money, a new manager came in and he thought we could make a whole bunch of money for doing nothing, and I'm going, "We've got a whole bunch of money, so why are we doing this?" We really didn't need to do it and it really caused problems in the band. Why they're doing it now, I have no idea, but I think it's about time. I personally don't think that what they have just released, what I have seen and heard, is great at all. It should be better than it is, but hey, it is what it is, and at least they got together and at least they came out with something, that's all I can say, you know. God bless them, but I was expecting a lot more.

Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:59 pm
Godzilla

Xelatunes wrote:
Hell Mike didn't even play on most of the first 6 records...

Really?! I know Ed would record some of the bass, but didn't know Mike was cut out that much. Are you going to tell me it's common knowledge? :mrgreen:

Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:38 pm
Viking Kong

Dislike the new song. Tattoo is boring. I like the video though. Kind of cool/old timey vibe

Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:34 am
Viking Kong

The deluxe-edition version of VAN HALEN's much-anticipated new album, "A Different Kind Of Truth", will contain a bonus DVD featuring four brand new acoustic-performance videos titled "The Downtown Sessions" including the songs "Panama", "You And Your Blues", "You Really Got Me" and "Beautiful Girls".

"A "You Really Got Me" performance clip from "The Downtown Sessions", shot at Henson Recording Studios in Los Angeles, can be seen below.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=168475

8)

Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:11 pm
Viking Kong

The song sounds very average & lackluster. I have a feeling the rest of the disc will be way better than the single... God, I hope I'm right.

Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:52 pm
Viking Kong

Here is a 90 second preview of a track called Blood and Fire from the upcoming VH cd.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY7ZqN8Ksdg...player_embedded

Here is a 90 second preview of another track called Stay Frosty
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyuXCfKzfko...player_embedded

...and you can hear some of what comes after that 90 second preview of Stay Frosty by watching this clip of CSI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sJE7BsemxM...player_embedded

Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:32 pm
Viking Kong

Hum... these new previews don't make it sound as if the new Van Halen is gonna be as good as the classics... but anyway, so far I'm a lot happied with what I hear than with the songs "It's about time", or "Can't get this stuff no more" that really were shitty songs, by Van Halen standards.

I'm mildly satisfied, let's say.

Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:25 pm
Viking Kong

Here is a 90 second preview of a track called China Town.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FZCwTso ... r_embedded

Now this is more like it! :D

Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:34 pm
Dr. X

Full tracks of Blood And Fire and The Trouble With Never:

http://vanhalenradio.com/vanhalenradio/audio/

Short previews of all tracks:

http://www.bol.com/nl/p/muziek/a-differ ... uct_images

Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:38 am
Viking Kong

full tracks of 6 songs...

http://espn.go.com/espn/thelife/music/feature/video/_/page/van-halen/different-kind-truth

ITS OUT TOMORROW !!! 8)

Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next