View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 MIKE PORTNOY LEAVES DREAM THEATER 
Dr. X

Post MIKE PORTNOY LEAVES DREAM THEATER
I am about to write something I never imagined I'd ever write:

After 25 years, I have decided to leave Dream Theater....the band I founded, led and truly loved for a quarter of a century.

To many people this will come as a complete shock, and will also likely be misunderstood by some, but please believe me that it is not a hasty decision...it is something I have struggled with for the last year or so....

After having had such amazing experiences playing with Hail, Transatlantic and Avenged Sevenfold this past year, I have sadly come to the conclusion that I have recently had more fun and better personal relations with these other projects than I have for a while now in Dream Theater...

Please don't misinterpret me, I love the DT guys dearly and have a long history, friendship and bond that runs incredibly deep with them...it's just that I think we are in serious need of a little break...

Dream Theater was always my baby...and I nurtured that baby every single day and waking moment of my life since 1985...24/7, 365...never taking time off from DT's never-ending responsibilites (even when the band was "off" between cycles)...working overtime and way beyond the call of duty that most sane people ever would do for a band...

But I've come to the conclusion that the DT machine was starting to burn me out...and I really needed a break from the band in order to save my relationship with the other members and keep my DT spirit hungry and inspired.

We have been on an endless write/record/tour cycle for almost 20 years now (of which I have overseen EVERY aspect without a break) and while a few months apart from each other here & there over the years has been much needed and helpful, I honestly hoped the band could simply agree with me to taking a bit of a "hiatus" to recharge our batteries and "save me from ourselves"...

Sadly, in discussing this with the guys, they determined they do not share my feelings and have decided to continue without me rather than take a breather...I even offered to do some occasional work throughout 2011 against my initial wishes, but it was not to be...

While it truly hurts for me to even think of a Dream Theater without Mike Portnoy (hell, my father named the band!!), I do not want to stand in their way...so I have decided to sacrifice myself and simply leave the band so as to not hold them back against their wishes....

Strangely enough, I just read an interview that I recently did that asked me about the future of DT and I talked about "always following your heart and being true to yourself"...sadly I must say that at this particular moment, my heart is not with Dream Theater...and I would simply be "going through the motions", and would honestly NOT be true to myself if I stayed for the sake of obligation without taking the break I felt I needed.

I wish the guys the best and hope the music and legacy we created together is enjoyed by fans for decades to come...I am proud of every album we made, every song we wrote and every show we played....

I'm sorry to all the disappointed DT fans around the world...I really tried to salvage the situation and make it work...I honestly just wanted a break (not a split)...but happiness cannot be forced, it needs to come from within....

You DT fans are the greatest fans in the world and as you all know, I have always busted my ass for you guys and I hope that you will stay with me on my future musical journey, wherever it may lead me....(and as you all know my work ethic, there will surely be no shortage of future MP projects!)

Sadly...
Your fearless ex-leader and drummer,
MP

I am completely shocked right now... :shock:

Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:22 am
Motorman

Post Re: MIKE PORTNOY LEAVES DREAM THEATER
I am choosing to see Portnoy's departure from Dream Theater as a potential positive. That he called himself "ex-leader" of the band is indicative of what's rubbed me the wrong way about that dude since he started contributing his terrible lyrics. Obviously he's a great musician but DT can find an equal, and hopefully put a little bit more effort into their next record.

Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:30 am
God Of The Sun

I'm a bit shocked and I'm not even a Dream Theater fan.

Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:46 am
Viking Kong

I am sad to hear that.

There is no Dream Theater without Mike Portnoy!

At least I've got the chance to see them live... :?

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:46 am
Profile YIM
Viking Kong

WHY DOES AVENGED SEVENFOLD SUCKS SO BAD???

Now, Mike and Paul MUST do something together.........

Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:33 am
Profile YIM
Viking Kong

I saw this coming back when Systematic Chaos came out and then the real confirmation was the "Greatest Hit" record after that.... Then they came out with "Black Clouds" and I thought "KILLER!!! I was wrong".....only to find out now that I wasn't wrong.... :x

Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:28 am
Viking Kong

DT's side of the story......

Progressive metal giants DREAM THEATER have released the following statement regarding the departure of the band's drummer, Mike Portnoy:

"To all of our loyal fans and friends: It is with profound sadness — regret — we announce that Mike Portnoy, our lifelong drummer and friend, has decided to leave DREAM THEATER.

"Mike's stature in the band has meant the world to all of us professionally, musically, and personally over the years. There is no dispute: Mike has been a major force within this band.

"While it is true that Mike is choosing to pursue other ventures and challenges, we can assure you that DREAM THEATER will continue to move forward with the same intensity — and in the same musical tradition — that you have all helped make so successful, and which is truly gratifying to us.

"Fans and friends: File this episode under 'Black Clouds and Silver Linings.'

"As planned, we begin recording our newest album in January 2011, and we'll follow that with a full-on world tour.

"'The Spirit Carries On.'

"All of us in DREAM THEATER wholeheartedly wish Mike the best on his musical journey. We have had a long and meaningful career together. It is our true hope that he finds all he is looking for, and that he achieves the happiness he deserves. He will be missed."

Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:37 am
Motorman

Oh well, Portnoy was the band IMO, so bye bye DT!

And Sir Rob, A7X don't suck at all in my opinion, they just aren't as good as their earlier material......

Lets hope Paul and Portnoy get together and create 80's hair metal magic... (I'm dreaming of course!)

Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:58 am
God Of The Sun

Grant wrote:
I am choosing to see Portnoy's departure from Dream Theater as a potential positive. That he called himself "ex-leader" of the band is indicative of what's rubbed me the wrong way about that dude since he started contributing his terrible lyrics. Obviously he's a great musician but DT can find an equal, and hopefully put a little bit more effort into their next record.

clearly you arent much of a fan of the band then

Portnoy WAS dream theater, overseeing EVERY aspect of the band. So much so that it nearly killed him on a couple of occasions!

luckily the band have such a long career behind them that replacing Mike wont be too hard and they will easily still fill venues, just sad that Mike wont contribute to the new material, he wrote some emotional songs and i think that has gone now

they will now become a generic prog band

Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:11 am
Profile WWW
Motorman

Wow. Can't imagine DT with another drummer. Oh well. I hope Mike won't stick with Avenged Sevenfold, and do something interesting instead.

Fender HH Tele / RG7321 / Gunslinger -> Pitchblack -> BYOC Wah -> DOD FX25B -> Phase100 -> Xotic EP Booster -> Xotic BB Preamp -> Eventide TimeFactor -> Carvin X100B -> Dr.Z Air Brake -> Orange 2x12

Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:21 am
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

This makes me so sad :(

Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:55 am
Viking Kong

I don't like DT, but I never thought Portnoy would ever leave the band.

I spur stoic ass juice fossile !

Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:58 am
Viking Kong

The more I think about it, the more I can't belive it.

Dream Theater should get another name and another drummer if they wanted to move on.

I wish that was a letter from James La Brie. I would honestly be happy with his departure.

and oh, if you're going to see DT live after this, you better take a blanket and a pillow w/ ya. Mike Portnoy was the ONLY member with some stage presence.

Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:00 pm
Profile YIM
Viking Kong

Ok, I'm really being a troll here, but since we can't edit, I'll be posting more if I have more to say.

here's some coments from MP's facebook which I find... right.

Quote:
go ahead waste ur potential at A7X, maybe u get free make up

Quote:
JUST SO YOU KNOW I AINT HAPPY MIKE. BIG MISTAKE DREAM THEATER ONE OF THE BEST BANDS EVER. A7 ARE POSERS

the best one...

Quote:
Please create DON'T LIKE button

Really, how come he is moving on to this?

http://www.youtube.com/user/avengedseve ... lend=1&ob=

Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:12 pm
Profile YIM
God Of The Sun

I found the news quite hard to believe at first.

But now I think this could also have positive effect on the band.
MP was always criticised for forcing DT to be "more metal" etc. and that it's mainly his fault that DT wheren't putting out albums as great as their older ones.

When they get a new drummer, I suppose Petrucci will take over to be the boss of the band and therefore their writing process will be different.
So this could have a great potential to be a really exciting new DT record in 2011.

As for drummers, there are lot of them who surpass Portnoy in terms of chops, but no one will come close in terms of personality, IMO.

My new drummer suggestions are: Thomas Lang, Virgil Donati, Terry Bozzio... etc.

Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:22 pm
Viking Kong

I even considered in my head guys like Richard Christie or maybe... Marco Minnemann :shock:

But it still wouldn't be the same.

Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:32 pm
Profile YIM
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

PGA1000 Dude wrote:
Thomas Lang

THIS.

Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:10 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

MissMisstreater wrote:
Grant wrote:

clearly you arent much of a fan of the band then

Portnoy WAS dream theater, overseeing EVERY aspect of the band. So much so that it nearly killed him on a couple of occasions!

luckily the band have such a long career behind them that replacing Mike wont be too hard and they will easily still fill venues, just sad that Mike wont contribute to the new material, he wrote some emotional songs and i think that has gone now

they will now become a generic prog band

The lyrics he wrote are hardly inspiring, and he'd pushed the band in a far more commercial, and frankly worse direction than their older stuff(and I'm not saying this from an anti-Portnoy perspective, i'm as bigger fan of him as the next man).
I'm looking forward to hearing the new material, hopefully it'll be a return to form to something pre-6 Degrees, it should certainly be different as all the remaining members are more than capable of writing some great stuff ,so hopefully they can stop trying to be a 'modern metal band', and one can be fairly confident that they won't become a 'generic prog band'. It's definitely in the interest of both parties in the long run.

Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:58 pm
Motorman

Yeah... I regret my initial response coming across as somewhat harsh. I think my personal opinion of him sometimes skews my overall (and professional) opinion, which it shouldn't. All the same I feel some nostalgic sentimentality about it. But I agree with everything Jon said, and I think that for DT, at the very least they can maintain the level of quality they've had with their last few records (which I think have leveled off in that sense), or potentially do something better or, at least, different. And I've thought of some of the cats mentioned in the other posts as possible new drummers.

Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:29 pm
Superhero

IMO the band have gone downhill since SDOIT. I think this is a good decision on both parts. Hopefully, this will mean more Transatlantic.
There are only two drummers I think could replace Mike. Thomas Lang and Neil Peart.

Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 151 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next