View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Lou Reed / Metallica 
Viking Kong

Post Re: Lou Reed / Metallica
Now that some time has passed, I wanted to discuss this again.

What is you guys' final verdict ?

Personally, I think that Lulu thing is very avant garde.
Dudes like Buckethead release albums like Bucketheadland 2 or Needle In A Slunk Stack, and people don't start freaking out, hell some even say it's great. I couldn't listen to Needle In A Slunk Stack even if I enjoyed electronic sampled music.

I see the reason people react to Buckethead's randomness positively is because he has a reputation of doing all sorts of weird things in music. On the other hand, Metallica is a well established trash metal band... and therefore when they do something that's just half as weird as what others do, they get the most severe criticism.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like Lulu. I think it's boring. However I can't give it a bad review. That album dared trying out something new, it's somewhat weird spaced out poetry backed by metal riffs... what the hell ? Someone had to give it a try, see if it turned out good. I don't think it did, but what the fuck, Metallica tried. Furthermore, they had the balls to do it while it could threaten their reputation.

I view Lulu as an artistic attempt by Metallica, and, if it isn't a publicity stunt, a proof that Metallica actually is in the music for the fun and art, and not for the money, and, a bit sadly, not for the fans either.

I love metal personally, but every now and then I like to listen to some other stuff... I'm thinking Metallica released metal throughout their entire career, maybe they wanted to keep being a metal band but give a shot at something new as well every now and then. The only problem maybe is just labelling Lulu as " Metallica " again... I believe there is tons of music out there that is actually quite alright that gets bad reviews because they are labelled something people expect to hear, which pisses off these listeners when they do not find what they expected.

Exemples of that would be Van Halen III, or, closer to home : Getting Heavier.

I spur stoic ass juice fossile !

Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:26 pm
Viking Kong

Holy crap. That was horrible.

I think if I put a turd in my ear it'd sound better

Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:41 pm
Viking Kong

Refried Bean wrote:
Holy crap. That was horrible.

I think if I put a turd in my ear it'd sound better

Ssshhhhh!

Philiphan is out there somewhere, & probably listening, you goon!

Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2