View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Does anyone here listen to Soul Music? 
Godzilla

Post Does anyone here listen to Soul Music?
Right now, I'm listening to a Roy C cassette.

Yes, a cassette. I got it years ago.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:45 am
Motorman

Post Re: Does anyone here listen to Soul Music?
Yeah man. Lately I've been obsessed with the classic Stax records stuff- Sam & Dave, Otis, etc.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:59 am
Godzilla

Grant wrote:
Yeah man. Lately I've been obsessed with the classic Stax records stuff- Sam & Dave, Otis, etc.

If I remember right, Steve Cropper played with Sam & Dave and Otis Redding, as well as Wilson Pickett.

However, I've been told that he only played with them on their studio recordings, not in their touring bands. I'm not sure how accurate that is.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:04 am
Motorman

Right, Steve Cropper was part of the "house band" for the majority of the Stax records, along with Duck Dunn, as well as being one of Booker T's MGs. I know he did some touring for them though, I have a great DVD called the "Stax/Volt Revue" from a European tour they did in the 60s and he and all those other cats are definitely there.

As an aside, it's kinda funny seeing and hearing Steve and co playing through Marshall plexis on that DVD, since they had to rent British amps overseas as theirs wouldn't work.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:56 am
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

I love soul

Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:51 am
Godzilla

Grant wrote:
Right, Steve Cropper was part of the "house band" for the majority of the Stax records, along with Duck Dunn, as well as being one of Booker T's MGs. I know he did some touring for them though, I have a great DVD called the "Stax/Volt Revue" from a European tour they did in the 60s and he and all those other cats are definitely there.

As an aside, it's kinda funny seeing and hearing Steve and co playing through Marshall plexis on that DVD, since they had to rent British amps overseas as theirs wouldn't work.

Steve Cropper and Duck Dunn were also in the Blues Brothers band.

I've been told that the Blues Brothers band had a member who wasn't shown in the movie (the first Blues Brothers movie, and, as far as I'm concerned, the REAL Blues Brothers movie), but did perform musically when the band performed in the movie. So, basically, you could hear an instrument being played, but not see anyone playing it.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:25 am
Viking Kong

Shit son... I was born and raised in the 60's in South Central L.A..... Where do you wanna start???

I grew up with the sounds all around me of: Ray Charles, Jackie Wilson, Sam Cooke, James Brown, Otis Redding, Curtis Mayfield, Stevie Wonder, Percy Sledge, Marvin Gaye, Aretha, GK & the Pips, The Impressions, The Staple Singers all of the Motown artists.....the list can go on and on.......

8)

Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]