View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Jason Becker's Not Dead Yet........ 
Viking Kong

Post Jason Becker's Not Dead Yet........

Joe Satriani will headline a guitar-heavy bill that also includes Richie Kotzen, Steve Lukather, THE KEHOE NATION, FLAMETAL and more, reminding the world that Jason Becker's Not Dead Yet. Tickets go on sale today (Friday, February 4) for the March 26 benefit show at Slim's in San Francisco. Tickets are available for $25 online at www.slimstickets.com; by telephone at 1-888-233-0449; or in person at the Slim's box office (333 11th St. San Francisco, CA 94103) weekdays 10:30 a.m. - 6 p.m. or in the evening on show nights, with a $1 service fee per ticket for advance purchases. Proceeds from the Jason Becker's Not Dead Yet festival going towards medical supplies for Jason as well as a trust fund to provide for his future security. Doors open at 8 p.m. on March 26 and the show begins at 9 p.m.

Jason Becker, a onetime guitar prodigy first known as part of the metal duo CACOPHONY, was diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS, aka Lou Gehrig's Disease) at age 20, shortly after joining David Lee Roth's band for the gold-selling 1991 album "A Little Ain't Enough". Although the disease robbed him of his ability to play guitar — and eventually left him both paralyzed and unable to speak — Becker continues to compose music with the help of computers, collaborators, and a system of communication using eye movements that was devised by his father Gary.

Even after his once prodigious axe skills left him, Jason's music continued to earn the respect of his peers. Not Dead Yet headliner Joe Satriani called 2001's "Perspectives" — Jason's first recorded work after losing his motor functions (originally self-released in 1996) — "a triumphantly powerful and beautiful album." Fellow virtuosos joined the chorus of praise, including Steve Vai, who said, "Jason has discovered a brilliant source of inspiration within himself. His deep soul searching has resulted in a body of music that reveals courage and insight and is deeply moving."

Jason's original partner in CACOPHONY, Marty Friedman added, "To call Jason a genius is an understatement. He doesn't cater to trend, target audiences, marketing gimmicks or anything like that. He plays out the emotions from his heart and makes real music that is a salute to the human spirit. Jason is a prodigy and on 'Perspectives' he realizes his miraculous potential."

Jason's most recent album, 2008's "Collection", is a mix of old recordings and new compositions, with guest guitar work from Satriani, Vai, Friedman, Michael Lee Firkins, and Greg Howe.

The March 26 Jason Becker's Not Dead Yet festival at Slim's in San Francisco is a tribute to Jason and celebration of his amazing story, as well as an opportunity to educate music fans and guitar aficionados about the effects of ALS and the quest for a cure. The idea for the show originated with Bay Area guitarist Dave Lopez of FLIPSYDE and BANG DATA. With the support of Jason and his family, Lopez enlisted Gary Avila of Tao Music Group to make the show a reality. From there, Guitar Player magazine's Matt Blackett was brought on board to recruit artists for the show, and Tim McKee from Mesa Boogie and Brian Kehoe from Dunlop soon added their support. Jason's friend Mike Shannon of ALS TDI (Therapy Development Institute) signed on to promote ALS awareness at the show.

For those unable to attend the festival, donations can be made via PayPal at [email protected].

For more on Jason Becker and his fight with ALS, go to www.jasonbeckerguitar.com.

Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:54 pm
Viking Kong

Post Re: Jason Becker's Not Dead Yet........
Wow!
Hey, if "Majic" Johnson can live for like, what.......30 years with AIDS or HIV or whatever, I hope Jason can live for 30 more!

Go Jason!

Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:35 pm
Viking Kong

I'd love to see that!

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:40 pm
Profile YIM
Motorman

I am not meaning to turn this political, but if we allowed more stem cell research, he might be able to even get a cure one day, imagine a day where jason can pick up a guitar again.

Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:32 am
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

I don't mean to be a downer, but stem cell research can't cure ALS. The disease doesn't work that way. Maybe it could have been prevented from worsening at the start, say we had the technology, but it probably can't be cured with how it is with Jason now

Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:23 am
Motorman

Pao wrote:
I don't mean to be a downer, but stem cell research can't cure ALS. The disease doesn't work that way. Maybe it could have been prevented from worsening at the start, say we had the technology, but it probably can't be cured with how it is with Jason now

I figure if its nerves that arent firing or whatever it is, i am sure something with stem cells could fix it.

That or what about nano technology?

Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:38 am
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Well by cure you mean stop it from progressing maybe? That could benefit newly diagnosed patients. But getting Jason Back to being the way he was before is highly unlikely :?

Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:05 am
Viking Kong

Romulus Von Flex wrote:
Pao wrote:

I figure if its nerves that arent firing or whatever it is, i am sure something with stem cells could fix it.

That or what about nano technology?

I think Pao's point is that Jason Becker has been confined to a wheelchair for about twenty years. Can stem-cell research reverse two decades of muscular atrophy?

Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:21 am
Viking Kong

If Jason could go back to "living normally", it would be a great thing, but it'd take him a while to get back his chops in any case...

I wish I could attend that gig, I'll have to settle for donating instead, which is the best I can do.

Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:14 pm
Viking Kong

One of my friends donated 1000 bucks to Jason...he's going to get to meet him. Pretty awesome.

Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]