View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Megadeth 
Viking Kong

Post Megadeth
Well, I've been listening to a lot of Megadeth lately, and I find it funny, since I only like very few songs on each of the albums... but the ones I like... well, I really like them a lot.

So, I've been listening to the awesome solo at the end of Wake Up Dead... and listening a lot to Angry Again, Tornado Of Souls, Symphony Of Destruction, Skin O' My Teeth, My Last Words, Poison Was The Cure, Peace Sells, Dialectic Chaos, 1320 and other songs...

Anyone else want to share their love for Megadeth?

I spur stoic ass juice fossile !

Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:54 pm
Viking Kong

Post Re: Megadeth
Megadeth is one of my favorite bands.

I love every single song off So Far... So Good... So What! and Rust in Peace is one of the best albums of all time.

Basically all their catalog from the first album until Youthanasia is pure gold, but I find Youthanasia their last very good album of that era. After that, I haven't really listened to all albums, but Endgame is a very solid album. What I like about Megadeth is that they're kind of a progressive metal band... not like Dream Theater, but their songs frequently change tempos and have different riffs all over.

A great band, regardless of Dave Mustaine's personality.

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:46 pm
Profile YIM
God Of The Sun

I don't really listen to metal that much anymore, but I always listened to 3 bands, and one of them is always Megadeth.

I went to their concert when they were here in Singapore in '08. Mustaine's a warm person; though he swears quite abit. haha!

Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:24 am
Dr. X

Dave Mustaine for President :D

Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:04 am
Viking Kong

Drew1986 wrote:
I don't really listen to metal that much anymore, but I always listened to 3 bands, and one of them is always Megadeth.

I went to their concert when they were here in Singapore in '08. Mustaine's a warm person; though he swears quite abit. haha!

I'm glad he doesn't swear in his music.
I personally hate vulgar language in music, although I swear like a shitting Pirate with Tourette's in my daily speech.
There is this band called Puggy a girl from my school made me listen to... and there was this song she loved about some guy singing his girlfriend "Kicks ass" and used other expressions like these to describe her, and I just kept thinking: these lyrics are trash.

Megadeth's lyrics are pretty fuckin' cool though. Death, destruction, typical heavy metal awesomeness!

Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:33 am
Godzilla

I love Rust In Peace! :twisted:
TAKE NO, SHIT!!
:lol:

Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:09 pm
Viking Kong

Lady Killer wrote:
I love Rust In Peace! :twisted:
TAKE NO, SHIT!!
:lol:

Oh... you just reminded me of those Megadeth lyrics I really don't like. :?
Haha.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:16 pm
Motorman

Why in the world would cursing bother anyone in music? That seems really childish and immature to be effected by someone saying words.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:37 pm
Viking Kong

phallictractor wrote:
Why in the world would cursing bother anyone in music? That seems really childish and immature to be effected by someone saying words.

I just think it sounds stupid.
Music is supposed to be some form of art, and I consider heavy metal to be some form of art.
In my vision: art should not be smeared with swear words.
If I wanted to hear people swear, I'd listen to rap.

There is no particular reason for me not to like swearing in music... but for the same reason I like a good riff, a technical and difficult solo, I like it when the lyrics contain refined words, and clever metaphores, play on words, and refined vocabulary instead of "ass", "cock", "fuck", "shit" and "damn" everywhere.

Then again, that's just my opinion.
Just to make myself clear: it's not the swearing that's bothering me, you can swear as much as you like when speaking in my opinion.
Let's try it: Motherfucking son of a bitch, piece of shit, turd eating cock gobbling shit infested cock pit.
It's just swearing in a musical context that I think ruins everything. I can't listen to a song containing swearing without thinking:
This is no better than what I hear when I step out in the street and listen to people speak, and that's not what I expect from music.

Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:49 am
Viking Kong

You've actually made sense to me for once, Acid Wire.

:wink:

Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:18 am
Viking Kong

Yeah, but:

"Take no prisioners
Take no shit"

from Take no Prisioners - Rust in Peace

and

"Time to kiss your ass goodbye
The end has just began"

from Set The World Afire - So Far...So Good...So What!

those two are just on top of my head. I'm sure Mustaine has used some more sirty language here and there.

Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:14 pm
Profile YIM
Viking Kong

Yeah, but luckily for me, he doesn't do it too often, and the music is blaring loud enough for swear words like the ones on Set The World Afire to go under my radar. (I would've never noticed if you hadn't opened your mouth! :x :lol: )

But for example the lyrics on Symphony Of Destruction or Angry Again are pretty cool in my opinion.
I like the reference to the Pied Piper, "Swaying" is not a word I hear very often in daily speech and goes well with the idea of being marionettes, kinda like hypnotised zombies... I really think some Megadeth lyrics are actually pretty cleverly written.

Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:55 pm
Viking Kong

Indeed, although the early records had more intense lyrics imo.

Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:41 pm
Profile YIM
King Of The Monsters

Amazing band.

For me, Peace Sells is their best album, followed up by RIP.

I agree with Youthanasia´s being the last gold album, as Mat said, but Cryptic Writings is an awesome record in my book. The worst albums are Risk and The World Needs a Hero.

The System Has Failed is a very strong album, while United Abominations is not a close runner-up (first 5 songs are good, then it is boring...and WTF with A Tout Le Monde´s re-recording, that´s an EPIC FAIL). Endgame got them back on the strong track, and now with Ellefson back on the field I´m sure we can wait for much more awesomeness from the band. Their last track "Sudden Death" (released for guitar hero) is killer!

Image Image

Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:39 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

Well, I think there's a cool part to swearing in music if it adds to the song, usually adding a sense of anger or aggression that couldn't be achieved otherwise (F*ck the police!...). A lot of bands use it and it just doesn't really...add...It's like the only word that would kinda fit at the time so they threw it in. A lot of emo bands for instance will throw it in but it usually ends up sounding really silly.

Rage against the Machine is a good example of adding anger to music with cussing/swearing.

"F*ck you, I won't do what you tell me!"

I like how Megadeth can keep a lot of anger without cursing too much though...hmm...then again, different era of music I suppose.

Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:51 pm
Viking Kong

Refried Bean wrote:
Rage against the Machine is a good example of adding anger to music with cussing/swearing.

"F*ck you, I won't do what you tell me!"

Yeah, but Strapping Young Lad is an even better example, & you know it!

"Fuck you, you fucking fuck!"
(Hell yeah, you fucking suck!)

:wink:

Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:12 am
God Of The Sun

Strapping Young Lad is the best example of it, imo. You shouldn't take them too seriously anyway but the band wouldn't feel (to my ears anyway) as aggresive as if it didn't have all that swearing in their lyrics.

Case in point, most of their songs but especially You Suck.

Also, Megadeth is my favourite trash metal band and their best album (and the pinnacle of their career, imo) is Rust in Peace although Killing is My Business is pretty good too. Chris Poland and Gar Samuelson are incredibly underrated, more the latter than the former anyway.

Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]