View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 What song you turned your musical journey? 
Superhero

Post What song you turned your musical journey?
What song have you heard that completely changed your musical direction.

Ironicly, the Prodigy turned me onto guitar based music!

When I was about ten I was listening mainly to the Spice Girls along with every other kid in Britain. Then one day on the Radio a song came in the car that was so 'in your face' that my Mum turned it off. I was like "What the HELL was that?! That was..... awesome! :shock: "

It turned out to be Breathe by Prodigy. I bought the album Fat of the Land as soon as I could with my own money. I am proud to say that I had a total badass music for ear even when I was 10 and that was the first record I ever bought.

Accordingly, I asked my parents for some DJ equipment for Christmas. In the meantime, I ended up buying, for whatever reason the single to Breathe. And that's where I found it, the song that would make me buy a guitar, a live version of Their Law from the 1996 Phoenix festival.

Oh. My. Fucking. God. I didn't even know music like that could have existed. That guitar riff!! So much energy!! The swearing :shock:

Here's the full live performance (the video at the end is altered but never mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XkacjfaVUQ

If you don't have much time, for the most ultimate bad ass bits, check out from 2.03 onwards and from 3.55 onwards.

Suffice to say, as song as I heard "I want to see everybody jumping.... JUMP!", I ran to tell my parents that all I wanted in the world was a guitar. So they took the DJ stuff back to the shop and got me a squire strat :D

And here I am, shit at the guitar and wishing I was a pro DJ :( :lol:

Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:27 am
Superhero

Post Re: What song you turned your musical journey?
PS that is the most insane crowd I have ever seen.

Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:29 am
God Of The Sun

Hellsing ending. This completely turned my musical taste upside down. Whereas I used to listen to every crappy song on MTV, this song led me to "acquire" Mr. Big's Best Of album and finding myself jaw-dropped at how insane the musicianship was, especially the guitar solos. I immediately thought to myself, "I need to have more of this" and went to check out the other bands that guitar player was in, which, in turn, led me to Racer X.

In the meanwhile, I had heard Mr. Big's whole discography and was sorely let down since songs like "Addicted to that Rush" and "Green-Tinted Sixties Mind" were few and far between. So, I turned to Racer X, who was quickly becoming my favourite band, and, from there, discovered this completely new type of music I had been missing out on.

So, in conclusion, you can say that Mr. Big freed me of the "shackles" of (bad) commercial music and, with Racer X, opened my mind (not only musically speaking, mind you). And this all started thanks to an anime ending.

P.S.: Sorry about the basic/poorly written english, I'm feeling very tired lately, which makes it hard to concentrate on what I'm writing.

Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:16 pm
Dr. X

For me its not a song, but the whole album 'Guitars That Rule The World'..

Really inspires me to become a guitarist... the album led me to Paul Gilbert with crazy-funny-shreddy-wierd I Understand Completely,

Then the song led me to Paul's band, Mr Big & Racer X

Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:42 pm
Viking Kong

For me it was Gimme Shelter, Jumpin' Jack Flash and Street Fighting Man by the Rolling Stones! Simply fantastic tunes!

Really digging on Michael Hedges. And Shawn Lane. And Pat Metheny.

Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:20 pm
Viking Kong

Like many others, when I was about 13 I was really into Epic Metal and Role Playing Games, and I thought Rhapsody was the best band ever! :|

I would also listen to Led Zeppelin, The Doors, Pink Floyd and many other classic rock bands, but Epic Metal was it for me...

until I started getting into Racer X!

Changed my view over music and opened so many doors for me, after I stopped listening to that Epic Metal crap. Together with Racer X, knowing more and listening to Paul Gilbert's solo career made me realize there's so many cool genres that don't need that fast double bass and trying-too-hard vocals.

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:58 pm
Profile YIM
Dr. X

It was guitar hero, sadly. My friend had custom songs of lots of shred artists like yngwie, jason becker, racer x, and i got really good at it but I wasnt satisfied so then I picked up guitar and eventually learned a bunch of those songs.

Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:32 am
Motorman

Queen.

Brian May is too tasty.

Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]