View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Finally a decent use for Auto-tune! 
Viking Kong

Post Finally a decent use for Auto-tune!
Leave it up to Joe Satriani to find a creative use for Auto-tune. There is a track on Joe’s latest cd “Black Swans and Wormhole Wizards” called “Wind in the Trees”. According to his interview in the latest issue of Guitar World, on this track he plugged his guitar into Auto-tune, put it on its most radical full on setting, and used it as an effect. As he played the song he used the whammy bar and what would happen was Auto-tune (which was tuned for E flat) was “fixing” what he was playing, so he ended up with this very interesting effect. Check it out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5LT1Vqg9as

Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:10 pm
Viking Kong

Post Re: Finally a decent use for Auto-tune!
Now that is an interesting effect. Sounds like the overheavy autotune in some songs, but on a guitar it sounds... like it actually works.

As opposed to masking a horrid voice.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:47 pm
Viking Kong

Satch always comes up with cool stuff, even when his latest records aren't as genius as his classics.
I'll buy his new album, probably this after noon.
Will post a review.

I spur stoic ass juice fossile !

Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:23 pm
Viking Kong

Satch shows that as a guitar effect (and if used sparingly in the proper context), Auto-tune actually has the potential of creating some new and interesting sounds (as opposed to being a deceptive studio tool that hides one's lack of vocal abilities). In this case I feel he's turned a negative into a positive. Unfortunately this seems to be one of the only examples of a postive use of Auto-tune that I have come across. Hopefully I'm wrong and there are other individuals out there who have also discovered some creative uses for it as well. But the pessimist in me has some major doubts. :(

Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:50 pm
Dr. X

I must buy this album, first thing that I will spend my next payment.
From his recent albums, I really enjoyed "Super Colossal", it sounds like a band and not guitar exercises at most of the time.
I was surprised when I read on an interview that "Movin' On" was recorded using only guitar plugged straight into a small A-class amplifier.
I really want two things badly: Racer X reunite and Joe Satriani making a new album that sounds like his album from 1995, blues-based and no effects, just guitar+amp

Time to rock!! \m/

Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:08 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]