View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 MIKE PORTNOY LEAVES DREAM THEATER 
Viking Kong

Post Re: MIKE PORTNOY LEAVES DREAM THEATER
Lamer wrote:
Sir Robin wrote:
I am listening to Scenes From a Memory right now.

it's sad :( :( :(

You make it sound like he's dead.

:lol:

Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:27 am
God Of The Sun

Zae wrote:
Lamer wrote:
Sir Robin wrote:

:lol:

Mike will be back in max. 2 years. So be excited that there'll be one DT album with a different drummer. It might lead to a fresh writing approach, which should be good for DT, considering their latest albums.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:08 am
Viking Kong

Lamer wrote:
Sir Robin wrote:

The band is! :wink:

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:00 pm
Profile YIM
Viking Kong

Let the DRAMA begin......... hahaha "Drama-Theater".... :twisted:

Former DREAM THEATER drummer Mike Portnoy has accused the group's lead singer, James LaBrie, of being "insensitive" and "disrespectful" for proclaiming in a recent interview that the remaining members of DREAM THEATER were "not sad at all" about Mike's departure from the group.

During an appearance on the September 28, 2010 edition of the "Used Bin Radio" show, LaBrie was asked if he was "sad" over Portnoy's decision to leave DREAM THEATER, the band Mike formed and led for 25 years. "You know what?! I'm not sad at all," LaBrie replied. "I've gotta be honest with you. I think that everyone out there needs to know that there's four guys in the band that are... We're excited, we're really looking forward to the next chapter. And I think one of the other things that everyone really has to remember is that there's four more-than-capable guys there. We're all extremely... I know everyone is out there going, 'Holy shit! Is this guy full of himself or what?' But I wanna say it like it is. There's four very capable people in the band, and we're all talented and we all know what we're doing, and we're all capable of doing everything and keeping DREAM THEATER exactly what it's been and bringing it to another level and bringing it to uncharted waters, but I think very exciting and fulfilling waters. So, no, we're not down. I can guarantee you none of us are down. We're actially pretty excited... and very positive."

Earlier today, a registered user of Portnoy's official forum asked the site's moderators if threads about LaBrie's upcoming solo tour were being deleted from the MikePortnoy.com site. Portnoy himself then chose to respond, writing, "I'm afraid your eyes are not playing tricks on you."

He continued, "I was willing to ignore that the [DREAM THEATER] guys insisted all [Mike Portnoy]-related stuff be removed from DreamTheater.net [DREAM THEATER's official web site].... but then on Monday reading the Blabbermouth headlines with James [LaBrie] insensitively proclaming they are 'not sad at all' about my departure from DREAM THEATER, I cannot in 'happy' standing promote his solo tour....

"I am so sad it comes to this, but I am even more shocked and hurt by James' completely disrespectful quote."

[Note: The thread containing Mike's comments has since been deleted from Portnoy's forum.]

A short time after Mike's quote appeared on the MikePortnoy.com site, LaBrie released the following statement in an attempt to clarify the comments that were attributed to the singer in the "Used Bin Radio" interview:

"It seems there is a misunderstanding.

"When I said I was not sad with Mike's departure, it, unfortunately, leaves plenty of room to misconstrue such words.

"No one can tell you or me how to think and feel.

"Initially with Mike's departure I was extremely upset, down and shocked. But one needs to deal and work through these emotions in order to arrive at a more positive and optimistic place. That is where I am now and was when the interview took place.

"Let me put it more plain and simple. Life does not afford us the luxury to wallow in our sorrow. You have to deal with the situation at hand and make it a productive and positive endeavor. In other words, onward and upward.

"Mike made it perfectly clear why he chose the current path. I would much rather his words be the definitive answer.

"In the end, does it really matter what our views are? Other than human curiosity, it doesn't change a thing.

"I have said my piece and believe there is no room for misinterpretation.

"I will give no further weight to this subject; all has been said."

Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:18 pm
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

lol

Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:34 pm
Viking Kong

saw that a couple of hours ago.

I never liked LaBrie. Now I know he's a dumbass.

Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:11 am
Profile YIM
Motorman

Uh... what? You really have to TRY and construe what James said as that offensive.

Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:58 am
Viking Kong

Mikey, Mikey MIKEY!!! STAY OFF OF THE INTERNET BRO!!! You're responding to BUFFOONS !!! :roll:

Former DREAM THEATER drummer Mike Portnoy has once again taken to his official forum, this time to respond to an "open letter" from a fan who has accused Portnoy of "treating people like garbage" and coming across as "childish and immature and bitter" in the way he has handled DREAM THEATER-related questions and issues since his departure from the group. What follows are excerpts from the original fan "open letter" and Portnoy's responses to each of the points raised.

[To read the full "open letter," click here. Mike's response can be found in its entirety at this location.]

Portnoy: "Well, this is just absolutely insane...

"I have no idea what I said to insult everybody and how I ended up the bad guy here, but all this is EXACTLY why I am declining interview requests at the moment and why this is going to be my last post for a while...

"I was totally dreading being misinterepreted, misunderstood and misrepresented...

"I am really hurting badly over this....and this surely is not helping..."

[From fan's open letter] "How do you just press forward with deleting threads [on the MikePortnoy.com forum that have to do with DREAM THEATER] and pretending nothing happened?"

Portnoy: "Well, actually, that's how a lot of this started.....I DIDN'T 'press forward with deleting threads and pretend nothing happened' (although now I kinda wished I did). I posted my reason why, and perhaps THAT was a mistake... but I thought I owed it to you guys to explain why the threads disappeared."

[From fan's open letter] "Do you really think you are in the right here?"

Portnoy: "Honestly, I'm not exactly sure what I did wrong... I've always been very open, honest, genuine and don't beat around the bush or pull punches...

"I was hurt that I was removed from the [DREAM THEATER] site and I was hurt by the 'not sad at all' headline I read on Blabbermouth... [referring to a quote from a recent interview with DREAM THEATER singer James LaBrie in which James stated that he was 'not sad at all' following Mike's departure from the band. — Ed.] (granted, I didn't hear the whole interview and was just shocked by the out-of-context headline...). So for being duped by the media and speaking out on it, for that I am sorry as well..."

On being accused of "treating people like garbage lately":

Portnoy: "I honestly have no idea how I am 'treating people like garbage lately' either????? I have tried to be as respectful, delicate and sensitive as possible.... If anything, I have been the one taking a beating left, right and center... my Facebook, Twitter and other websites have been completely taken over by angry fans (f*ck [AVENGED SEVENFOLD], f*ck you, etc etc)...people who have obviously not read my reasons and simply on the attack....

"You have NO IDEA how hard it is to watch thousands upon thousand of these posts... when I have given my heart and soul to these 'fans' for all these years... and I am more hurt than they are right now.... yet still, I bite my lip and try my best to continue to be as respectful, delicate and sensitive as possible.... I'm treating THEM like garbage lately????? I'm still baffled..."

[From fan's open letter] "Please take a higher road and don't come off so childish and immature and bitter! I don't care if I get banned for saying all this, but you can't justify acting irrationally while saying "this is my site, I say what I want" thing. I have never seen so many people in complete disagreement with something you have said before. Maybe it's a sign to sit back, unplug that Internet connection and really think about where you are as a person."

Portnoy: "I will indeed do this... Marlene [Mike's wife] and I have talked about this and I promised I was going to not read this stuff anymore and let it upset me... or chime in and post anymore either (she's probably gonna kill me for posting this!), but rather than NOT responding to this 'open letter' and be perceived as somehow being 'immature, bitter or childish,' I decided to bite the bullet one last time, respond and properly sign off before disappearing..."

[From fan's open letter] "I hope you don't see this as me bashing you on any level. It's the honest assessment of what's been happening lately. I know you said that you hoped it wouldn't turn ugly. YOU started it."

Portnoy: "I'm still not sure how *I* started it???? My reaction yesterday was just that.... a *RE*action to an action (or two for that matter....even if one was 'out of context'). That's not 'starting'... that's 'reacting'...

[From fan's open letter] "Keep the private matters private. Best of luck."

Portnoy: "I do agree there as well... and it's probably nobody's business, but after reading that Blabbermouth headline, I e-mailed all four guys [in DREAM THEATER] and none of them ever responded.... (and they still haven't...).

"I would've loved to have kept it private and hoped they would've responded when I reached out to them all, but they never did... but then again, that's between us, so that's the last I will comment on that...

"So being James never responded to me personally and chose to do it 'publicly,' I'd like to publicly apologize to him for apparently misunderstanding his quote out of context and deleting those threads... (although I still cant understand why it's OK for DreamTheater.net to delete [Mike Portnoy] stuff, but not vise-versa....but it's OK....it's also the last I will comment on that as well!)

"And on that note, it is time for me to retire from posting for a while....

"Contrary to what many people are thinking and saying (both here on my beloved forum or other places where I am somehow now 'the bad guy'), I am indeed hurting over all of this.... contrary to yesterday's Blabbermouth headline, *I* am indeed VERY sad over all of this....

"These additional posts have already gone way too far (whether sensationalized by the media or simply read by the fans) and I need the three stickied threads (the press release, the Eddie Trunk interview, and my note to forum) as well as one upcoming exclusive interview with Prog magazine, to be all I say for a while....

"Even in these tough times, I love you all dearly and cherish the relationship that I have developed with you all for all these years....

"Please try to understand my situation and know it's been the hardest thing I've ever done....but it does NOT have to change anything between US!!"

Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:31 am
Viking Kong

Grant wrote:
Uh... what? You really have to TRY and construe what James said as that offensive.

Agreed. It might even be a misquote. Anyways, Mike's probably under a lot of stress from his fans at the moment (as he expressed in the last letter here), so I def. don't blame him. :)

Really digging on Michael Hedges. And Shawn Lane. And Pat Metheny.

Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:28 pm
Viking Kong

On Wednesday, October 6, DJ JC Green of Metal Massiah Radio conducted an interview with DREAM THEATER singer James LaBrie about James' new solo album, "Static Impulse", and the recent departure of DREAM THEATER drummer Mike Portnoy. The entire 25-minute conversation will air tonight (Friday, October 8) at 8:00 p.m. EST only on www.metalmessiahradio.com. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below (as transcribed from the raw audio file by BLABBERMOUTH.NET).

Q: Mike was the spokesperson of the band. How will the remaining members of DREAM THEATER manage this task [going forward]?

LaBrie: Well, obviously, he was taking on a lot of those responsibilities and he wanted to be hands-on all the time, especially the interaction with fans and everything like that. So what do we do at this point? We establish the communication, we get in touch with our fans, we establish a great rapport with our fans, and we become more personable with our fans and let them hear who and what we are and let them know that we are there for them and that we appreciate who and what they stand for. So it's a matter of us communicating, it's a matter of the other four guys stepping up to the plate and establishing a great relationship with our fans on a more communicative level.

Q: So we can even see the quiet guy [presumably referring to bassist John Myung — Ed.] speaking to the press?

LaBrie: Absolutely. He already is. John Myung is much more verbal than he was and he's into it — he's up for it and he's excited. I think that one of the great things is that you're going to hear from four guys a lot more than you ever have in the past, so there will be many more opinions and views and situations that normally you might not have heard from. So I think, if anything, it's gonna be very cool.

Q: I have read in other interviews that the band has done that you are looking for a replacement for Mike behind the drum kit, but I don't sense any kind of rush or pressure in the band. Are you really looking for a replacement or do you already have one or two candidates in mind?

LaBrie: We're not rushing into it, because it's a big move for us; it's unprecedented within the band. This is our first time coming up against finding a drummer for DREAM THEATER. We do have everything in place. We don't have a drummer yet, but we have auditions for drummers all set up, and it's all ready to go within two weeks. So in two weeks we will start auditioning drummers. We already have seven guys lined up that are gonna come into the studio and they are going to play through some songs and so on and so forth. We are looking for the right chemistry, the right vibe, the right attitude, the right personality, the right look — somebody that we feel really will embellish upon what DREAM THEATER has stood for and what we plan on standing for in the future. So it's pretty exciting. We have everything in line, we have everything set up, so it's just a matter, within a couple of weeks, to start the auditions and then to eventually make the announcement who the new drummer is.

Q: So there will be open auditions then?

LaBrie: It's not open; it's already decided who's coming in. There's seven drummers that are coming in, and out of those seven, we will definitely have our drummer. They're all world-class drummers. I can't tell you who — I'd love to tell you, but I can't; I can't divulge or disclose that information. Not at this point. It's too sensitive at this point. But it will be a very intense week for us while we're jamming and playing with these drummers.

Q: I will mention one name that, personally, I think is the full package for DREAM THEATER — John Macaluso. He played with you on your "Elements Of Persuasion" tour, even by recommendation from Mike, and you even sang on one of his tracks on his UNION RADIO solo project, he's from New York, he has played progressive metal for most of his career — a lot of things in common. What do you think of him?

LaBrie: Oh, well, it goes without saying John Macaluso is a fantastic drummer; he's an incredible talent. He reminds me of the current-day John Bonham — he's just got a really cool, Bonham-esque kind of feel to him, but at the same time he can also play in a very progressive outfit as well and get into more syncopated areas of drumming with ease. Yeah, I had the pleasure of going out and bringing him out on tour with me throughout Europe on the "Elements Of Persuasion" tour, and he is fantastic — there's no doubt about it; he's quite capable. Whether he is one of those seven drummers or not, I can't tell you. [laughs] But without a doubt, the guy is a fanstastic drummer. He's extremely talented. I love his playing, I love his style, and he's a great guy.

On Mike Portnoy's recent online posting in which he accused LaBrie of being "insensitive" and "disrespectful" for proclaiming in a recent interview that the remaining members of DREAM THEATER were "not sad at all" about Mike's departure from the group:

LaBrie: I'm not going to start getting into justifying who I am or where he's coming from or anything like that. I don't wanna go in those areas — I wanna keep everything positive. If something is being interpreted as being negative, that's very unfortunate. It was never ever intended to be, and I think that if anyone was to read my words within the interview from "Used Bin Radio", they would realize that in no way was I insinuating anything that was negative or insensitive.

Q: Do you plan to begin working on the new [DREAM THEATER] album in January, just like it was planned before Mike's departure?

LaBrie: Yeah. I mean, at this point I think everything is lending itself to stay within that schedule; I don't see, at this point, why it would change or why it would be delayed. I think that we're all very much ready and looking forward to getting back into the studio and creating some music. So at this point, definitely, I think January is still the reality.

Q: Do you think the absence of Mike's input in the studio as a songwriter and producer will give [DREAM THEATER] more freedom or pressure in the process?

LaBrie: I don't think there's gonna be any pressure. I think, if anything, it could change the dynamics within the band, it could change the way that things in the past always developed as far as the songs and the writing process. I think, yeah, definitely, there's room for change. I'm sure that, to some extent, it has to change, it has to be... It's a new chapter in every sense of the word. So I think that, definitely, it's quite possible that in many areas — in that area, in the approach to the sonwriting process — there's room for change, and more than likely there will be.

Q: Have you already decided how the writing process will be for the new [DREAM THEATER] album? Will you write in the studio as you have recently done or do you expect to change that process?

LaBrie: I think that we're gonna still go along with getting into the studio as a band and writing within the studio so we're all there collectively within the same room. So I think that that will go down as it has for the last several albums.

Q: Will you consider using an external producer or will John [Petrucci, DREAM THEATER guitarist] or any of the other guys in the band take care of it?

LaBrie: I think we kind of all, at this point... I mean, that's still stuff that we're discussing. But I think that, for the most part, we've all given the nod to John Petrucci to go ahead and produce. I think that he is extremely competent and he knows exactly where we need to go and what we need to do and how we need to sound. I think he's more than capable of doing it and being in that position.

JC Green's entire interview with James LaBrie will air tonight (Friday, October 8) at 8:00 p.m. EST only on www.metalmessiahradio.com.

Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:03 pm
Viking Kong

:P Jordan RULZ!!!!! :P

THIS IS FUCKING HILARIOUS !!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFTxg99taiQ

:twisted:

Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:06 pm
Viking Kong

says it´s private

Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:18 pm
Profile YIM
Godzilla

Sir Robin wrote:
says it´s private

He sang the "auditioning drummers blues", accompanying himself on what looked like an acoustic piano.

I LoLed!

Shame he's taken it down. With DT fans, the odds are higher than otherwise that someone'll have saved it somehow and it will reappear.

Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:19 pm
Viking Kong

I just watched an Avengd Sevenfold concert on TV (they played in Brazil this afternoon).

As I said before, I really don't like the band, but I must say they put out a great show.

The best part was that the camera guys and the editing guy must have loved Mike, cuz he was on the screen all the time! hahah

Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:23 am
Profile YIM
Viking Kong

On October 26, vocalist James LaBrie of progressive metal giants DREAM THEATER was interviewed by "Démentièllement Vôtre" on Québec City's CKRL 89.1 FM radio station. The interview has now been posted online at this location. It can also be streamed using the audio player below.

When asked about DREAM THEATER's current status following the recent departure of drummer and founding member Mike Portnoy, LaBrie said, "DREAM THEATER, we're communicating a lot to one another — John Petrucci [guitar], myself, Jordan Rudess [keyboards] and John Myung [bass] — we're staying in close contact with one another. Obviously we just did the drummer auditions last week in New York. So right now we're going to take our time and really be sure of the decision that we make, which is one of the most important decisions ever made within the band. So right now it's all about preparing for the future and making sure that the next chapter will be an exciting and really amazing ride. So that's what we're taking care of at this moment in time."

Regarding how the drummer auditions went, LaBrie said, "[The auditions] were phenomenal. I mean, it was something, obviously, unprecedented for this band, and it is for most bands, but it was just a really unique and very surreal experience for us. But I can't really comment on it any further than that other than that we're moving forward and everything is very positive. And that's about it. It's really touchy as to what we can really talk about in that area right now."

"Démentièllement Vôtre" interview with James LaBrie (audio):

In a recent interview with DJ JC Green of Metal Messiah Radio, LaBrie stated about which qualifications are desired in a potential new drummer for DREAM THEATER, "We are looking for the right chemistry, the right vibe, the right attitude, the right personality, the right look — somebody that we feel really will embellish upon what DREAM THEATER has stood for and what we plan on standing for in the future."

According to LaBrie, the caliber of candidates that were lined up to audition for DREAM THEATER was second to none. "There's seven drummers that [were scheduled to try out for the band], and out of those seven, we will definitely have our drummer," he said. "They're all world-class drummers. I can't tell you who — I'd love to tell you, but I can't. I can't divulge or disclose that information. Not at this point. It's too sensitive at this point."

Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:27 pm
God Of The Sun

^^I'm dying to know!!! aaaaa!

Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:50 pm
Dr. X

Update from JP. Theyre really close to announcing it, and from what theyre saying on DTF, its most likely either Mike Mangini or Marco Minneman, but anything can happen.

Quote:
Hey everyone. Wanted to quickly let you all know what's been happening lately.

I know that the big question is "Who is the new DT drummer?" I also realize that some people are getting frustrated waiting for the news. Well, auditions went great and we do have someone but we are spending some time getting everything in order before making an official announcement. Let me just say that we are all incredibly excited about our choice and just bursting at the seams to let the world know!

The Long Island Music Hall of Fame induction ceremony was a lot of fun and truly an incredible honor. DT is so thankful to the board to be recognized in that way.

I've been demoing tunes for my next solo record at my home as well as writing and cataloguing riffs and ideas for the new DT album. We'll be in the studio come January which is already just around the corner. Can't wait!

Been working on and developing a few new signature products which will be released soon. Stay tuned for details. Also, I've recorded a few demo videos for some of the gear companies I endorse which should be available to view soon. The one for the Zoom Q3HD is already up.

Besides that, just practicing, lifting and taking care of the family. Life is great. I hope this message finds everyone well and again, thanks so much for the tremendous support.

JP

Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:55 pm
Viking Kong

Well, if Marco takes the role in DT, I'll take back everything I said before, and I'll look forward to any new Dream Theater stuff.

Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:08 am
Profile YIM
Viking Kong

I think we can add one more band name to the title of this thread:

Quote:
Yes, the rumours are true...sadly my time with Avenged Sevenfold has come to an end...

The band has decided to carry on into 2011 without me...I had a great time with them throughout 2010, but it was their choice to end the relationship at the end of 2010 as was always the initial plan....

I had an awesome time on stage with the guys every night and have so many cool memories from the experience with them...I am proud to always be part of the A7X family and history.

I also adore the A7X fans and totally appreciate the way they welcomed me aboard and were so loving and supportive during my time with the band...thank you!

As far as my future, I am excited by the endless musical possibilities that lie ahead of me...my love for music runs very deep and my taste is very broad and ecclectic which will give me the chance to explore many different things and collaborate with many great friends and artists I admire and respect...

Happy Holidaze to you all and c-ya in the New Year,
MP

Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:14 am
Profile YIM
Superhero

A friend of mine saw Marco in the airport in NY when the auditions were taking place. So.. I don't know. Marco or Mangini would be good choices either way!

Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next