View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 MIKE PORTNOY LEAVES DREAM THEATER 
Viking Kong

Post Re: MIKE PORTNOY LEAVES DREAM THEATER
You know what I just realized?

remember what happened to Paul in Mr. Big back in 1996?

I have the feeling this is quite the same... Only that DT was Mike's only serious band in his whole life...

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:51 pm
Profile YIM
Viking Kong

Drummer Mike Portnoy says that his current involvement with AVENGED SEVENFOLD had nothing to do with his decision to quit DREAM THEATER, the band he formed and led for 25 years. "I BEG of the fans to please NOT hold [AVENGED SEVENFOLD] responsible for MY decision... They are just as shocked as you guys," Mike writes on his Facebook page. He adds, "I had been contemplating this and desiring a 'break' (not split) [from DREAM THEATER] as long ago as last year. Everything else is fully explained in the press release" that Mike issued yesterday announcing his split from DREAM THEATER. Portnoy continues, "Thank you all for your support and understanding... This is the hardest thing I've ever done."

Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:58 pm
is O.H.B.

I am so disappointed.
Next I will read Neil Peart leaves Rush to join Poison

Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:02 pm
Dr. X

Honestly as a fan of the band itself everyone should respect someone's decision no matter what it is if they've worked as hard as Mike has over the past 20 years just to satisfy people like you and I. I'll support any musician if they're as dedicated as he was to his band.

Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:17 pm
Godzilla

Grant wrote:
I am choosing to see Portnoy's departure from Dream Theater as a potential positive.

This. Besides, it seemed for a long time that the only reason DT were so heavy they were these past few albums, was much because of metalhead Portnoy. I must admit I was shocked to read this in the morning, because I was 100% sure Portnoy would be the last person to quit DT.

Good luck in finding a new drummer tho, sure there are many drummers out there who can play all the stuff Mike has done with DT, but are they creative enough to be able to write DT drum tracks? that´s the bigger concern. After all, Mike has a very distinctive style of his own.

Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:48 pm
Profile WWW
Motorman

Ruth wrote:
I am so disappointed.

If you kept reading you would have read that he didn't leave to join another band. Just wanted a break either way.

Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:50 pm
Motorman

phallictractor wrote:
Ruth wrote:
I am so disappointed.

If you kept reading you would have read that he didn't leave to join another band. Just wanted a break either way.

Regardless of whether or not Avenged Sevenfold factored in to his decision to leave, when Mike said he was enjoying his other projects more he was more than likely referring, at least in part, to A7X. And despite his intentions, or whether or not le left specifically in favor of A7X, if he stays in their lineup he essentially will doing this. Obviously some people are going to take this idea and run with it, especially musically-elitist DT fans (and by no means am I trying to defend the legitimacy of A7X- they aren't my thing, to put it very nicely), so I guess that's what Mike was trying to clear up. Also I thought the Peart/Poison joke was really funny...

Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:39 pm
King Of The Monsters

The band should´ve taken a break.

He is IMPOSSIBLE to replace, and I´m not even a big fan of DT.

And I agree with Robin. Now seeing DT live will be a nap.

Replacement? DEEN CASTRONOVO, but he is too good in Journey!

Image Image

Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:10 am
Profile WWW
Godzilla

as for replacement, what about everyones favorite Portnoy copycat, the legendary Vadrum?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZqwvjwqwK4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF9e2ZVAapE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3vLQ7iC ... re=related
:twisted:

we also came up with this crazy idea of bringing Gavin Harrison in if Porcupine Tree aren´t that active in 2011..

Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:21 am
Profile WWW
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Guitarp77 wrote:

Not really. If they want a Portnoy rip-off, there are plenty. If they want someone as good and as creative, there are also plenty. I suppose you can say Portnoy's taste and "legacy" is something you can't replace, but finding someone to play drums for them is difficult, yes, but definitely not impossible.

Planet X = Garsed/Holdsworth after T-Mac. It worked wonders!

Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:19 am
Viking Kong

Doesn't anyone think that the rest of the band's decision was selfish?

I mean, they've been together for 25 years, he was an original band member, he's been in love with that band forever...

It seems like the relationship between the band members really wasn't as good anymore, or they'd at least consider Mike's needs.

Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:10 pm
Profile YIM
God Of The Sun

totally

my bet it Petrucci has fuck all else in his life so he cant stop, he'd lose all his endorsements if they went on an indefinite hiatus

business is business

Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:14 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

Three of the remaining DREAM THEATER members — singer James LaBrie, guitarist John Petrucci and keyboardist Jordan Rudess — have issued separate statements commenting further on the departure of drummer Mike Portnoy, the band's co-founder and leader for 25 years.

James LaBrie: "Thought I would give you time to digest the news of Mike's departure.

"Mike stated that he was burnt out with the DREAM THEATER world and needed a break.

"We have to respect where he is at and where this will lead him at this particular point in time. With that being said, we are more than pumped to continue the legacy of DREAM THEATER and jump full on into the next chapter. Rest assured, it will be great. You can count on it."

John Petrucci: "Obviously you've all heard the news of Mike's departure from DREAM THEATER by now. I felt it important to open up a line of communication in an effort to kill any rumors and to promote clarity.

"I love Mike and really hope he's happy and successful in whatever he does.

"I realize that Mike was always the one to actively stay in touch with our fans, and I just wanted to let you know that I'm going to try to be at least a bit more present on both mine and DREAM THEATER's websites and to let you all know that I am here.

"To me, DREAM THEATER's story is one of defying the odds, standing for true integrity in music and creating our own success through perseverance and hard work, so although Mike's leaving is heartbreaking, I still look forward to an amazing musical journey that continues on with some of the most talented and respected musicians and composers on the planet!"

Jordan Rudess: "Everyone is asking me to comment on my thoughts about Mike Portnoy leaving DREAM THEATER and this huge change that has happened in all of our lives. I have always been able to express my feelings and do my best 'talking' through music, so I decided to voice my statement in this improvisation [see video below]. Hope you 'understand.'"

Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:46 pm
Viking Kong

Bullshit!

There's no "I feel really bad about this, but I'll try to keep it up." I thought I'd hear this from Petrucci. I thought him and Mike were like, best buddies.... now who's gonna play on his lame solo career? From these statements, I don't feel a tiny bit of sadness in MP leaving the band.

Now, Levi, I don't think it would be THAT bad on John Petrucci... I mean... he's got a whole legacy of fans who dig him... But maybe the band is right. If they weren't enjoying the direction the band was taking, maybe Mike's wish to a "time off" was an excuse to trow him off.

Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:44 pm
Profile YIM
God Of The Sun

Location: A small town called Los Angeles...you may have heard of it.
i still can't believe this.
like, really.
i totally understand where he's coming from...it makes perfect sense.
but to imagine DT without MP...it just doesn't work out in my head.

Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:36 am
Profile WWW
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

I kinda lol'd at Jordan's comment hahaha. "Yo dawg, I'm not good with commenting so here's an improvisation. lol" :lol:

Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:49 am
King Of The Monsters

Pao wrote:
Guitarp77 wrote:

Not really. If they want a Portnoy rip-off, there are plenty. If they want someone as good and as creative, there are also plenty. I suppose you can say Portnoy's taste and "legacy" is something you can't replace, but finding someone to play drums for them is difficult, yes, but definitely not impossible.

Planet X = Garsed/Holdsworth after T-Mac. It worked wonders!

I hate PX`s Quantum. But it is just me!

Having Portnoy out of the band is like having Dave Mustaine out of Megadeth, or Steve Harris out of Iron Maiden, or James Hetfield out of Metallica, or Neil Peart out of Rush, or Angus Young out of AC/DC, or Paul Stanley out of KISS, or Neal Schon out of Journey, or Steve Lukather out of Toto, or Mick Jones out of Foreigner...hope you get the idea.

He is just too iconic for DT to replace.

They should do what Zeppelin did: Disband. Or give the guy the break he wants and return with a vengeance. Or changing their name and continuing doing music under "Nightmare Cinema" or "Dream Cinema" or "Awake Theater"...something like that...

But, again, those are my thoughts...

Image Image

Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:22 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

Here's a nice interview with Mike.

It's a little long, but it's worth it. It seems that I was wrong in some points but, in fact, Mike sounds a little confused and sometimes controversed himself. It would be weird if he wasn't though.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe ... mID=145872

Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:55 pm
Profile YIM
Viking Kong

I can understand that Mike Portnoy needs a break; all of the guys in the band deserve one. I've always like Dream Theater, so I will continue to watch and listen to the band post-Portnoy (hoping to hear a return to the Images and Words or Awake era). Something tells me that Portnoy will return to Dream Theater one day; he is leaving on amicable terms and has always been a tremendous contributing partner to Dream Theater's music. It's true that the band will find a worthy replacement--there are a lot out there who are just as talented--but I'm sure that he'll be back.

Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:27 pm
Motorman

The Truth:

Hes doing A7X for the chicks.

Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next