View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Van Halen - OU812 
Godzilla

Post Van Halen - OU812
Today, I got a CD copy of the Van Halen album OU812.

I've had a cassette copy for years. My cassette copy doesn't have the cover of Little Feat's "A Apolitical Blues" on it.

I have a hard time picturing David Lee Roth singing any of the songs on this album.

I seriously doubt the Van Halen line-up on this album will EVER perform together again.

It is widely claimed that the album title is a parody of the David Lee Roth album Eat 'Em And Smile. Oh, You Ate One, Too.

However, I've heard that the term "OU812" had been used by people other than the past and present members of Van Halen LONG before the David Lee Roth album Eat 'Em And Smile.

Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:36 am
Godzilla

Post Re: Van Halen - OU812
OOPS! WRONG FORUM!

Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:54 am
God Of The Sun

Surg is slippin'.

Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:27 am
Profile WWW
Godzilla

A lot of people- including the Van Halen brothers- have always been highly critical of Sammy Hagar for refusing to sing all but several David Lee Roth-era Van Halen songs.

I've heard live recordings of probably most of the few David Lee Roth-era Van Halen songs Sammy Hagar did agree to sing. They just plain don't sound the same with Sammy Hagar singing.

Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:04 am
Viking Kong

Hey Gringo, do you have a copy of that old project Sammy & Neal Schon did together, H.S.A.S.? If not, you should look into it. It's been out of print for a while now though, I think.

I always thought Sammy did a much better job singing the songs in that group than he ever did singing old school VH songs.

Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:27 am
Godzilla

Rich wrote:
Hey Gringo, do you have a copy of that old project Sammy & Neal Schon did together, H.S.A.S.? If not, you should look into it. It's been out of print for a while now though, I think.

I always thought Sammy did a much better job singing the songs in that group than he ever did singing old school VH songs.

Yes, I've had a CD copy of HSAS (Hagar Schon Aaronson Shrieve)'s Through The Fire for probably about 15 years now.

Previous to that, Neal Schon played guitar on some of Sammy Hagar's solo music from the 70's.

Several past and present Journey members have played with Sammy Hagar. For example, Steve Perry sang backing vocals on some of Sammy Hagar's music from the 70's.

Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:35 am
Viking Kong

I remember the first time I heard VH, it was on the Best Of Both Worlds album, and it took me a while to notice the vocalist change. I believe David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar can sing each other's stuff pretty well.

I spur stoic ass juice fossile !

Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:36 am
King Of The Monsters

Acid Wire wrote:
I remember the first time I heard VH, it was on the Best Of Both Worlds album, and it took me a while to notice the vocalist change. I believe David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar can sing each other's stuff pretty well.

They are both amazing vocalists, but with different personalities...and the ego thing was huge back then, when SH entered VH to replace DLR...

I like both eras of the band...but the DLR material is, hands down, the most classic and influential of it all.

Image Image

Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:12 pm
Profile WWW
Godzilla

As I mentioned in another thread, I've heard that Sammy Hagar and drummer Denny Carmassi played together in another band before Montrose. I don't think I've heard this band, but I've been listening to Montrose since... I think it was 1995.

Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]