View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 G3: Next Installment 
Queen Dork of the board

Post G3: Next Installment
The board/link below is run by Steve Vai's label, on Facebook. If any of you guys/gals reading this are members of Facebook, please go to this post (you have to be logged in to Facebook) and voice your opinion on who the next axeman or woman to be picked should be.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/top ... opic=16868

Copy and paste the entire URL ^^ to your browser bar - the RX forum breaks it halfway through.

In my humble opinion: 'Paul Gilbert - Fuzz Universe' - 'nuf said. :)

The pessimistic realist in me says that this is probably a gauge to see if their pick is correct re: crowd draw / response, more then to actually allow fans to have a say in the decision. Still - vote, give it a shot, speak your minds... you're not old people. :)

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Thu May 20, 2010 6:11 am
Dr. X

Just said Paul! I saw him on the G3 tour when he came here in Denver in 2007 and he was the main reason I went.

Thu May 20, 2010 2:35 pm
King Of The Monsters

Image Image

Sat May 22, 2010 2:11 pm
Profile WWW
Dr. X

Haha, I like how there is a string of Paul Gilbert's on that thread now that we posted it here. Hopefully he gets on it again!

Sat May 22, 2010 4:17 pm
God Of The Sun

Sat May 22, 2010 6:11 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

Well... Guthrie would be nice too

Yup. :(

Sat May 22, 2010 6:22 pm
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

hammer_away wrote:

Would Satch and Stevie really want to play with someone way better than them in every way? :?

Only my opinion anyway...

Sat May 22, 2010 8:31 pm
Profile WWW
Motorman

Zae wrote:
hammer_away wrote:

Would Satch and Stevie really want to play with someone way better than them in every way? :?

Only my opinion anyway...

Well, they let Paul play with Satch, so maybe????? It would be pretty hard to ignore Guthrie these days for a G3........

Sat May 22, 2010 10:59 pm
Godzilla

It's gotta be Paul, Richie Kotzen or Andy Timmons. That would just be pure win.

Sat May 22, 2010 11:47 pm
Dr. X

it'd be awesome if they had special guests for each country/city they visit.

that way when if it comes to england they can get guthrie.

Sun May 23, 2010 12:07 am
Queen Dork of the board

LOL I loved that. It was like as soon as the thread was mentioned here, suddenly the votes for Pablo went way up. :)

With the announcement of the Mr. Big tour in 2011, it's doubtful that Paul will be on the next G3, unless it happens either very late this year or very early next year. I do not know when it will happen.

I do know that Satch has a UK tour and then a few dates in Europe in October this year announced so far, so he will be on the road around the right time. Simon McBride has snagged the guest spot for Satch's UK tour at that time. It is unknown if there is a guest for the European continental stuff.

In 2007, Paul did G3 in America and then hopped right over to Europe for a massive solo band tour. I guess that means that it's possible to do both G3 and another tour, so long as they don't run concurrently. :)

Whoever gets that coveted 3rd spot - that is awesome for them. Especially since it's a Vai/Satch combo which means that a DVD might be made.

Orianthi, John5, Andy Timmons, Richie Kotzen, and Gus G. could also be contenders... depending on their touring schedules. Guthrie would be a strong candidate for a European tour. Brian May or Vinnie Moore would be a nice addition to Europe as well.

(It's all about projected crowd draw. The more seats the tour can sell, the better it will be. Richie Kotzen's most recent American tour has not had good draw in some spots, which is really unfortunate - lots of people are missing out on his talent.)

Such cliffhangers. We wait in such pleasant, burning anticipation.

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Sun May 23, 2010 12:15 am
Viking Kong

I can't belive people are saying Brian May, Jeff Beck... it's almost as easy as reviving Hendrix to do the gig.

Does Gus G have a solo carrer? Anyways, he'll be busy with Ozzy.

My guess would be either Guthrie or Paul...

But for some reason, I don't think Paul will do it again... :?

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Sun May 23, 2010 1:53 am
Profile YIM
God Of The Sun

I can't belive people are saying Brian May, Jeff Beck... it's almost as easy as reviving Hendrix to do the gig.

It could work if they showed up as guests. Robert Fripp was invited as a guest on the european tour, some years ago, i think.

Also, I just went and listened to some Guthrie Govan's music. I'm so ashamed for not having done this sooner :(.

Sun May 23, 2010 1:22 pm
Viking Kong

The reason I say that is: Jeff Beck himself is not a fan of the "modern guitar" ... On a recent interview, he says he doesn't like all the shredding and the whole lot of distortion.

... as for Brian May, I just don't know his solo stuff... I know there's a couple of albums, but I have never listened to anything. But I'm not sure if Brian May is into the guitar hero thing either.

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Sun May 23, 2010 4:41 pm
Profile YIM
God Of The Sun

Oh, I see. Still, Brian May appeared as a guest on some G3 show(s?) so that would be a feasible, if somewhat unlikely, option.

Sun May 23, 2010 4:49 pm
Godzilla

Brian May is a reference for all those rock guitar heroes as it could be seen on Guitar Legends on Sevilla Expo 91 (I think there are videos on Youtube) where Vai and Satriani did enjoy playing with such a legend without caring about skills or speed (and I don´t mean May has no skills or speed of course).

People who ignore May´s career should know that he has played with musicans like EVH, Nuno Bettencourt, Foo Fighters, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani... and some guy called Freddie Mercury :)

If I´m not wrong, in Guitar Legends May took part on the guitarist selection so I wouldn´t see anything wrong on May´s taking part on G3 (assuming he´s more than 60).

In the other hand, a guy who built himself his famous Red Special at the age of 16 (in 1963!!!) deserves all respect from modern guitar players (not only for his great playing but also for his aknowledge of what he´s been doing for years) and that´s what guys like Satriani or Vai does.
Apart from that I though G3 was a Rock tour and not only a shred tour :D

PS: One of my fantasies (not the sexual ones :D ) would be seeing Paul playing a Red Special. :)

Sun May 23, 2010 7:55 pm
Site Admin

Satch loves Jeff Beck, and has stated many times that he would love to have G3 with Beck.

Regards,
Ken

Sun May 23, 2010 8:02 pm
Profile WWW
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

I saw Jeff Beck a few weeks ago and he was pretty sick. But I think the stuff he was playing wouldn't suit the G3 tour. He has a freakin' awesome band though!

Paul would be great, I'd love to see Guthrie on it.. but just imagine how owned everyone would be during the jam! :shock: Andy Timmons would be great, or what about George Lynch with Paul's band again? Pauls not gonna need em right?

Sun May 23, 2010 8:34 pm
Profile WWW
Dr. X

I saw Jeff Beck a few weeks ago and he was pretty sick. But I think the stuff he was playing wouldn't suit the G3 tour.

Yeah, well nor did the stuff Robert Fripp was playing on the Euro G3 tour and that didn't stop him being the '3'!

Sun May 23, 2010 9:11 pm
Viking Kong

Guthrie is awesome... a bit overrated though imho... He definitely has terrifying chops, and great songs but I'll still have Surfing With The Alien over any Guthrie CD any day of the week for example.

To my ears, Guthrie's awesomeness is on the same level as Satch or Paul Gilbert (Racer X)... I wouldn't put him above everyone else.

I'd love so see him on G3, I think he would sound terrific. I just hope Steve Vai gets thrown out so Paul Gilbert or Bryan Aspey :P can fill in and spare us the usual Vai whammy bar masturbation antics.

Somehow Steve Vai is like Buckethead to me... some of their music is pure gold (Bad Horsie, The Animal, The Attitude Song, Fire Garden Suite rule) but I can't listen to all the other stuff they make which is roughly 90% of their songs. Everytime I think of Vai songs like Ya-Yo Cakk I fee thel urge to murder everyone around me and drown kittens.

I spur stoic ass juice fossile !

Mon May 24, 2010 1:00 am
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next