View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Portnoy to Tour with A7X 
Viking Kong

Post Portnoy to Tour with A7X
RAWK !!! 8)

DREAM THEATER drummer Mike Portnoy has confirmed that he will sit behind the kit for AVENGED SEVENFOLD for all of the band's upcoming tour dates through the end of 2010.

Commented Portnoy in a statement: "After having had such an amazing experience recording my drum tracks for the new AVENGED SEVENFOLD album, we all knew it would be awesome if I'd be able to do some touring with the band after its release...

"I am happy to say that the timing worked out perfectly that my touring cycle with DREAM THEATER (and TRANSATLANTIC) was coming to an end just as AVENGED SEVENFOLD's was scheduled begin! (Well, perfect for everyone except my poor family!) : )

"Although I wish I could stay on board with AVENGED SEVENFOLD in a more permanent capacity, the reality is that I am commited to DREAM THEATER as my main priority (that is my baby afterall!), and I will need to resume work with DREAM THEATER to start a new album at some point in 2011. However, I will be able to join my brothers in AVENGED SEVENFOLD for at least the duration of their touring throughout 2010...and hopefully this will give them the time to continue to heal and get comfortable back on the road.

"You can look at me like the band's 'rebound drummer' to buy them some time until they are comfortable and ready to make a commitment to somebody new for full-time relationship in their future!

"In the meantime, I am real excited to hit the road with the boys...to bring my drumming from their new album to life on stage and to honor [late AVENGED SEVEFOLD drummer] The Rev with all of their older material....

"Hey, do I get to have a cool, bad-ass stage name now??? : )"

AVENGED SEVENFOLD recently finished recording its fifth album for a late 2010 release. Guitarist Zacky Vengeance wrote on the band's official Twitter profile, "There are no words that will ever describe the feeling of listening to this album while driving home alone at 4 a.m." The group's manager, Larry Jacobson, added, [The record is] almost done, not mixed. [It contains] some of my favorite [AVENGED SEVENFOLD] songs ever."

Portnoy laid down the drum tracks for the new AVENGED SEVENFOLD CD following the passing of the band's longtime drummer James "The Rev" Sullivan.

Portnoy previously stated about being tapped to work with AVENGED SEVENFOLD on the band's new album, "Even under normal circumstances, I would've been happy to help the guys out in any way I could as I think AVENGED SEVENFOLD are a great band...but under these incredibly sad and tragic circumstances, I must say I am truly honored to have been asked to play with them and I didn't even have to think twice about saying 'yes.'"

Portnoy added, "These guys are a true family and it is an incredibly emotional experience to be here with them for the first time without their lost brother. But they have welcomed me into the family with open arms and there's a real excitement to make the record they had set out to make."

Portnoy also said, "I am treating my participation on this album with the utmost respect for Jimmy's memory and am remaining as true as possible to the drum parts that he wrote for the songs and the record he wanted to make."

AVENGED SEVENFOLD announced Portnoy's participation in their fifth album on February 17, calling him Sullivan's "all-time favorite drummer. "

Sullivan was found dead at his Huntington Beach, California home on December 28, 2009. The cause of death has not yet been announced.

Wed May 05, 2010 3:06 pm
Viking Kong

Aug. 17 - Minneapolis, MN - Target Center
Aug. 18 - Kansas City, KS - Capitol Federal Park at Sandstone
Aug. 20 - Omaha, NE - WestFair Amphitheater
Aug. 21 - Chicago, IL - First Midwest Bank Amphitheatre
Aug. 22 - Buffalo, NY - Darien Lake Performing Arts Center
Aug. 24 - Toronto, ON - Molson Canadian Amphitheatre
Aug. 25 - Cleveland, OH - Time Warner Cable Amphitheater at Tower City
Aug. 27 - Scranton, PA - Toyota Pavilion at Montage Mountain
Aug. 28 - Wantagh, NY - Nikon at Jones Beach Theater
Aug. 29 - Saratoga Springs, NY - Saratoga Performing Arts Center
Aug. 31 - Washington, DC - Jiffy Lube Live
Sep. 01 - Charlotte, NC - Verizon Wireless Amphitheater
Sep. 03 - Birmingham, AL - Verizon Wireless Music Center
Sep. 04 - Tampa, FL - Ford Amphitheatre
Sep. 05 - [to be announced]
Sep. 07 - [to be announced]
Sep. 08 - [to be announced]
Sep. 10 - Dallas, TX - Superpages.com Center
Sep. 11 - Corpus Christi, TX - Concrete Street Amphitheater
Sep. 12 - Houston, TX - Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion
Sep. 14 - Denver, CO - Comfort Dental Amphitheatre
Sep. 15 - Salt Lake City, UT - USANA Amphitheatre
Sep. 17 - Sacramento, CA - Sleep Train Amphitheatre
Sep. 18 - San Diego, CA - Cricket Wireless Amphitheatre
Sep. 19 - Tempe, AZ - Tempe Beach Park Amphitheatre
Sep. 21 - [to be announced]
Sep. 22 - Irvine, CA - Verizon Wireless Amphitheater
Sep. 24 - Portland, OR - Clark County Government Center Amphitheatre
Sep. 25 - Seattle, WA - The Gorge Amphitheatre
Sep. 26 - Vancouver, BC - Pacific Coliseum
Sep. 28 - Edmonton, AB - Rexall Place
Sep. 29 - Calgary, AB - Saddledome
Sep. 30 - Saskatoon, SK - Credit Union Centre
Oct. 02 - Winnipeg, MB - MTS Centre
Oct. 03 - Fargo, ND - Fargodome
Oct. 04 - -Madison, WI - Alliant Energy Center Memorial Coliseum

Wed May 05, 2010 3:43 pm
Viking Kong

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Wed May 05, 2010 7:04 pm
Profile YIM
Motorman

Post Re: Portnoy to Tour with A7X
Xelatunes wrote:
(Well, perfect for everyone except my poor family!) : )

hah, as if they actually want him around :twisted:

Wed May 05, 2010 7:15 pm
Viking Kong

30 seconds of the new A7X single "Nightmare" with Portnoy......

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=139841

Tue May 11, 2010 5:34 am
Motorman

30 seconds of the new A7X single "Nightmare" with Portnoy......

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=139841

Cheers for the link man, I'm pumped for this new album!!!! New tune sounds good.....

Tue May 11, 2010 11:03 am
God Of The Sun

that sounded suspiciously like a Portnoy octoban fill RIGHT at the end...

very rev :roll:

Tue May 11, 2010 6:08 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

http://www.youtube.com/user/avengedsevenfold?blend=2&ob=1#p/u/0/B1Bi1c9LmhU

Tue May 18, 2010 7:03 pm
God Of The Sun

Location: A small town called Los Angeles...you may have heard of it.
i actually might buy this record.

Wed May 19, 2010 5:20 am
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

i thought all of the instrumental parts were SICK, but i thought the verse and chorus were very weak

Wed May 19, 2010 8:15 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

i thought all of the instrumental parts were SICK, but i thought the verse and chorus were very weak

+1

That's actually what I don;t like about this band. All the choruses soung too gay.

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Wed May 19, 2010 12:03 pm
Profile YIM
Motorman

Sounds awesome to me, but I'm a fan of A7X.......

They are always great at writing riffs, but I would agree in saying the verses and choruses sound a little weak.... still worthy of buying though....

Wed May 19, 2010 1:27 pm
Dr. X

not available in your country... I'm so sick of reading that. :(

Wed May 19, 2010 1:49 pm
Viking Kong

I find it great. I don't even hate the chorus that much :lol: Also, I absolutely love M. Shadows voice. <3

Really digging on Michael Hedges. And Shawn Lane. And Pat Metheny.

Wed May 19, 2010 7:58 pm
Godzilla

I went to see their first show with Portnoy and it was amazing, they played 5 new songs and some of the old ones, Mike did an awesome job as expected and apparently only ran through the set once before playing the show, and he just flew back from England that day. They played Critical Acclaim which was they highlight for me, for those who've heard the song the Rev sang the choruses and they played recordings of his vocals during the chorus which is a bit spooky to be honest. I also bought the album and it's pretty sick. A lot of the new songs seem focused on the Rev's passing and even one that his vocal demos are used on is about him dying which is weird too. Anyway Mike was awesome the rest of the band rocked and I was stoked to finally see them play, and it made it even better that it was their first show without the Rev, I thought it was cool to be a part of that.

Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:33 pm
Viking Kong

Can't wait to see them live but I must admit I'm disappointed with the new disc "NIghtmare".... WAY TOO MANY slow songs and its sad to say that when the Rev passed so went the songwriting in this band...(IMO)

Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:14 am
Site Admin

Funny...you listen to AX7, and YOU KNOW they have listened to Racer X.....

Travis is at home.....he would have been able to pull this off too.

Regards,
Ken

Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:05 pm
Profile WWW
Superhero

Xelatunes wrote:
Can't wait to see them live but I must admit I'm disappointed with the new disc "NIghtmare".... WAY TOO MANY slow songs and its sad to say that when the Rev passed so went the songwriting in this band...(IMO)

I have to agree about the CD, but my understanding was that this CD was all but done before he died. They just needed to get the full on studio recording done. They already had demos done.

Jason

Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:17 pm
Viking Kong

Racer_J wrote:
Xelatunes wrote:

I have to agree about the CD, but my understanding was that this CD was all but done before he died. They just needed to get the full on studio recording done. They already had demos done.

Jason

They had even done demos with The Rev, but due to shitty drum triggers, they couldn't use them for the album. I have just heard the single Nightmare, and I don't enjoy it as much as anything on City Of Evil or their self titled album. :(

Really digging on Michael Hedges. And Shawn Lane. And Pat Metheny.

Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:29 pm
Motorman

I picked the album up the other day myself, I must admit I was not that inspired either.... It's not bad, it's just not as good as their earlier stuff..... what can you do though??? Still one of the best releases I've heard this year......... (Although I did think that the new BFMV album was better than this one [Flame suit on for haters of BFMV]).....

Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next