View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 EVH - In his own words... 
Viking Kong

Post EVH - In his own words...
According to the Van Halen News Desk, Guitar World has just published a new book, "Guitar World Presents Van Halen: Eddie Van Halen In His Own Words", which is in stock and shipping now at Van Halen Store (although the official release date is April 15). The book contains three early never-before-published interviews with Eddie Van Halen which were conducted in 1978, 1979 and 1980. Additionally, 10 classic interviews with Edward from the pages of Guitar World magazine are included.

A description of the book reads as follows: "'Eddie Van Halen In His Own Words': The inside story of the world's greatest guitar hero and his legendary band! Featuring a complete history and in-depth interviews from every phase of his spectacular career.

"No musical entity has been more closely associated with Guitar World magazine over the years than Edward Van Halen — the man who, in the late Seventies and early Eighties, changed the course of guitar history.

"This collection of classic and new interviews with the great Edward tells the real story behind his earth-shaking technique, brilliant songwriting, and relationship with both David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar. This is the authoritative book — revised and updated with new exclusive interviews and information on one of the greatest rock bands of all time and the guitar god at the center of it all."

Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:48 am
Viking Kong

Sounds like some form of activity from Van Halen.
They're playing it safe... since 2004 things haven't been going well for that band and they prefer to release old material instead of attempting to produce new material... can't say I blame them, I wasn't satisfied with their new creations, and now they are pulling their shit together again so it's a good idea to take it slow.

I'd love to hear a brand new Van Halen album, I still think they're my favorite band along with Racer X. At the same time, I dread to hear a new Van Halen album... if it's going to be a train wreck, I'd rather keep a good vision of Van Halen.

I spur stoic ass juice fossile !

Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:12 am
Godzilla

It gets me to no end that a lot of people never gave Michael Anthony much credit until he was no longer in Van Halen.

Fri May 07, 2010 8:08 am
Godzilla

It gets me to no end that a lot of people never gave Michael Anthony much credit until he was no longer in Van Halen.

I read that Anthony was kicked out of the band a few years back and replaced with Wolfgang, but Anthony only found this out through the internet.

I was shocked, the man was in the band for more that 30 years and he gets kicked out just like that... :(...that's not a reunion... :?

Fri May 07, 2010 9:13 am
Viking Kong

Really?
I always thought he sucked, and I still do.
I had no idea people would think he is good.

The dude plays very difficult and technical parts like "Running With The Devil"... oh wait he plays maybe like 5 notes... well... like "Panama"... that's maybe 10 notes... shit... I can't think of a song where he actually plays something worth listening to.

His solos were good though, like the one when he was banging his bass on the amps while drinking Jack Daniels... and... did I mention that other solo where he bangs his bass on the amps while drinking Jack Daniels and letting his bass feedback forever? Definitely an innovation from that solo where he was banging his bass on the floor while drinking Jack Daniels.

He is a nice dude, but really, I don't miss his bassist skills.

Fri May 07, 2010 11:27 am
God Of The Sun

if he played more notes it wouldnt be van halen you fool

the van halen sound in a sentence is

triads played over a static bass

if you play A - D - E - E you want to sing la bamba

if you play

A - D/A - E/A - E/A you sound like van halen

Fri May 07, 2010 11:35 am
Profile WWW
Golden God

Gringo300 wrote:

Really?

The dude plays very difficult and technical parts like "Running With The Devil"... oh wait he plays maybe like 5 notes... well... like "Panama"... that's maybe 10 notes... shit... I can't think of a song where he actually plays something worth listening to.

His solos were good though, like the one when he was banging his bass on the amps while drinking Jack Daniels... and... did I mention that other solo where he bangs his bass on the amps while drinking Jack Daniels and letting his bass feedback forever? Definitely an innovation from that solo where he was banging his bass on the floor while drinking Jack Daniels.

Somebody is having a bad day..... :roll:

Fri May 07, 2010 2:00 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

Gringo300 wrote:

Really?

I used to think long ago that Mikey was just an average bass player (at best), I mean the guy plays bass with a pick right?? :roll:

Well that was until I saw him at the NAMM show back in 1988... he was checking out some new Bass guitars from a company called "Skyscraper" (odd coincidence that this was just before DLR would come out with an album titled "Skyscraper") ....anyways Mikey plugged in and started thumping and slapping some of thee baddest bass licks i had ever seen... Shit I remember thinking he was possessed by Les Claypool or something... Sat and watched him for awhile, it was awesome...

The deal in VH was/is that Ed is their dominant sound... Mike was told to keep it VERY SIMPLE... For years they even kept Mike AND Alex purposely down in the mix until Andy John's came along on "F.U.C.K" and blew up your speakers with Bass & Drums on that one...

Not sure why Mike didn't use his solo spots live to show more of his technical abilities rather than just run around like a drunken bafoon, but I do know this... Mikey can play dude...

8)

Fri May 07, 2010 2:05 pm
God Of The Sun

because being rock is what the job called for

imagine if clapton ripped out some gilbert picking licks... it would just be bad

MA did an AMAZING job in Van Halen, and as i said earlier he brought van halen a share of their unique sound

Fri May 07, 2010 2:28 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

Yup. For the sake of the music, sometimes you have to just be the pocket and not overplay...like some funk guitar. A lot of people will say that playing simple and tight all the way through a song is way harder than playing a bunch of notes.

And yes, Van Halen would not be the same without the static note underneath Eddie's riffing. It would sound stupid if MA played the same riff as Eddie on Unchained or Running with The Devil. It's perfect the way it is.

Fri May 07, 2010 2:51 pm
Godzilla

Actually, the big deal now is Michael Anthony's backing vocals.

Fri May 07, 2010 7:04 pm
Viking Kong

Somebody is having a bad day..... :roll:

Yeah... I overdid the ranting. My exams are so tiring I got undereye circles the size of Texas and I forget to wipe every now and then... okay it's maybe not that bad :lol: .
Nah, let's not look for excuses, I overdid it.

Back on topic though:
I understand your point about keeping it simple for the sake of musical space... but I think it would've been possible to make it just a little more complicated than what's on VH. I love that band, but whenever I try to listen to the bass I'm afraid of falling into a boredom induced coma. Racer X for example is a band where Paul shreds and takes a lot of the space in the sound, but Juan everynow and then will do something really cool whenever he finds space in the song, and that's especially true on Getting Heavier where the guitar was taking a lot less space. I think in every band I can think of a song where I think the bassist has done something to earn my respect, even when he wasn't allowed much room. I can't say the same about Michael Anthony, he didn't even use his solo spots to prove he could kick some ass.

I guess I'll have to trust Xela on that one. Caus' I really looked hard to find some hail worthy Michael Anthony bass playing :?

Sat May 08, 2010 2:23 am
Viking Kong

Not every bass player is Geezer Butler, who can do the most unbelivable stuff on bass and not sound like he's soloing or anything.

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Sat May 08, 2010 3:09 am
Profile YIM
Viking Kong

Actually, the big deal now is Michael Anthony's backing vocals.
Talk about adding uniqueness to VanHalen's sound.

Sat May 08, 2010 3:48 am
God Of The Sun

I heard from a fairly reliable source that on the early VH albums it's not even MA on bass but EVH. After hearing some old live versions & comparing I can hear a difference here & there. Now that's a control freak.

Sat May 08, 2010 7:01 pm
Profile WWW
King Of The Monsters

MA`s backing vocals over rule everything Wolfgang can ever do on VH.

MA is the law.

Period.

Image Image

Sun May 09, 2010 4:17 pm
Profile WWW
Godzilla

In an interview I read from years ago, I remember Eddie saying he played some bass on For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge, but he said it was in ADDITION to Michael, not INSTEAD of him. I'll have to look through various magazines, I might have that interview. I'm not sure.

However, I remember Michael saying Eddie played most of the bass on Van Halen III. After listing to that album for a while, I kind of acquired a taste for it.

Sun May 09, 2010 5:49 pm
Viking Kong

Not every bass player is Geezer Butler, who can do the most unbelivable stuff on bass and not sound like he's soloing or anything.

John Entwislte... 8)

Mon May 10, 2010 4:19 am
God Of The Sun

Location: A small town called Los Angeles...you may have heard of it.
Sir Robin wrote:

John Entwislte... 8)

damn straight.

Mon May 10, 2010 5:58 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

Xelatunes wrote:
Sir Robin wrote:

John Entwislte... 8)

damn straight.

...or John Paul Jones... Although he is technically way behind those guys.

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Mon May 10, 2010 11:37 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next