View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:50 pm



Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Richie Kotzen Thread 
Author Message
God Of The Sun
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:13 am
Posts: 3076
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Post Richie Kotzen Thread
Like him? Don't? Why?

Right now I think he's one of the best guitar players of the NOW... he's defenetely my number one inspiration atm... both as a guitar player and as a singer...

Do you guys like him?

Its just... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2YJ_VHm ... re=related

dunno ahhah

_________________
ImageImageImage


Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:51 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:07 pm
Posts: 5559
Location: Bra-silk
Post 
I like his songs, but some of them are just to... romantic.

But I agree the guy is amazing.

_________________
Image
JeffMartin wrote:
Incredibly cool artwork.
You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.


Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:46 am
Profile YIM
Superhero

Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:41 am
Posts: 1051
Location: Poland
Post 
At first I didn't really like RK because I was really into shred, but now when I've worked "enough" on alt picking to know most of PG licks I'm looking for something new, and Richie's blues soul is just really appealing to my ear.

Combining RK and PG would make an ultimate guitarist =o

_________________
Image
For my covers click here.


Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:54 am
Profile WWW
is evil...Evil Joe
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 2:47 pm
Posts: 88
Post 
richie is an awesome arranger and singer as well as he's incredible on guitar. i always liked him, even when he was wearing stonewashed jeans and shredding on varneys label :-)

_________________
[4Amigos]diego


Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:38 am
Profile
Viking Kong
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2002 6:40 am
Posts: 11619
Location: Across The Universe
Post 
Isn't he the guitar player for Poison ??? That guy SUCKS ASS !!!














:twisted:


Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:43 pm
Profile
Viking Kong
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:10 am
Posts: 5299
Location: France
Post 
Well... I've seen one or two Kotzen videos... and it really didn't have any massive impact on me...

One video though I've seen that I thought ruled was:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2bXl5AwX8Q

If Mr. Big sounded like that all the time, I'd definitely be listening to it a lot more.

_________________
[img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y108/beefsteaknimommy/ARXBA%2008/acidwire-bq-1.jpg[/img]

I spur stoic ass juice fossile !


Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:54 pm
Profile
Viking Kong
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:07 pm
Posts: 5559
Location: Bra-silk
Post 
Is it just me, or he seems really high all the time?

_________________
Image
JeffMartin wrote:
Incredibly cool artwork.
You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.


Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:30 pm
Profile YIM
Godzilla

Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:55 pm
Posts: 747
Location: London
Post 
I love Richie. Got his new album recently and there's some REALLY good songs on there.

_________________
Image


Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:20 pm
Profile
Superhero
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:49 am
Posts: 1888
Location: Sydney
Post 
Hmm, his 'so so' in my books. I cant get into alot of his music, but electric joy is pretty good.





Blues Saraceno > Richie Kotzen

_________________
Image

"It's all good I know him personally lol. He's a smartass aussie shredder lol"


Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:03 am
Profile
Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:46 pm
Posts: 880
Location: Madrid (España/Spain)
Post 
He´s simply amazing :)

_________________
I'm not crying. I don't have time to spend on that. I've got to keep on trying.
http://www.youtube.com/MazingerFer


Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:56 am
Profile
Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:25 pm
Posts: 656
Location: Helsinki
Post 
His last two albums are awesome (as is Mother heads Family Reunion). If you really wanna hear his chops, check out the albums he made with Greg Howe. at least the other one is called Tilt!.

_________________
SHREDDING ISN`T MUSIC. IT`S AWESOME.


Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:42 pm
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:48 pm
Posts: 2311
Location: Austria?
Post 
Richie is super awesome
he's the shreddier and bluesier version of Prince
and also with a rather Chris Cornell esque voice

_________________
http://www.youtube.com/guitardouchebaggery <--my stupid channel


Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:32 pm
Profile
Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:25 pm
Posts: 656
Location: Helsinki
Post 
PGA1000 Dude wrote:
Richie is super awesome
he's the shreddier and bluesier version of Prince
and also with a rather Chris Cornell esque voice


Some say he´s John Mayer on acid, which is an understatement (but still kinda cool).

_________________
SHREDDING ISN`T MUSIC. IT`S AWESOME.


Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:16 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:44 pm
Posts: 6579
Location: Norwegian living in Liverpool, UK
Post 
Booligan wrote:
PGA1000 Dude wrote:
Richie is super awesome
he's the shreddier and bluesier version of Prince
and also with a rather Chris Cornell esque voice


Some say he´s John Mayer on acid, which is an understatement (but still kinda cool).


I agree, though you'd have to multiply Mayer on acid one hundred times to even touch Kotzen. :D

_________________
Image

Really digging on Michael Hedges. And Shawn Lane. And Pat Metheny.


Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:27 pm
Profile
King Of The Monsters
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 3:53 am
Posts: 24189
Location: Santiago, Chile
Post 
AMAZING musician.

TREMENDOUS guitar player.

MIND BLOWING singer.

EXTRA TALENTED song writer.

This is one of those guys that can play every instrument great, put lots of soul in his songs, and deliver killer live performances.

One of the best musicians alive, no doubt about that.

Can´t wait to see him again on May 1st....my 5th time :D

_________________
Viva Chile Mierda!

Image Image


Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:14 pm
Profile WWW
Motorman
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:45 pm
Posts: 339
Location: Richmond, VA
Post 
I just received the tickets I ordered to see him next month.. needless to say I am damn excited, I haven't seen him before


Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:25 pm
Profile
Godzilla

Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:45 pm
Posts: 775
Location: America
Post 
I thought I'd already posted in this thread, but I don't see it.

Anyway, I've heard some of Richie Kotzen's music, but there is a lot more I haven't heard as of 4-04-10. I'm planning to change that.

_________________
"You don't just walk through a neighborhood and see somebody tearing up their own yard with a golf club!"


Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:31 pm
Profile
King Of The Monsters
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 3:53 am
Posts: 24189
Location: Santiago, Chile
Post 
Gringo300 wrote:
I thought I'd already posted in this thread, but I don't see it.

Anyway, I've heard some of Richie Kotzen's music, but there is a lot more I haven't heard as of 4-04-10. I'm planning to change that.


What is interesting about Richie´s catalog is that you can find a lot of different styles of music.

I would recommend, for anyone that is just starting to discover this amazing musician, the following records, where you can see the variety of styles he has recorded (for me, these ones make the "essential" Richie Kotzen catalog):

- Fever´s Dream (80´s glam-hard rock with ferocious guitar playing)
- Mother Head´s Family Reunion (more focused on the song writing than on guitar playing)
- What Is (maybe Richie´s most introspective album. Beautiful to say the least)
- Change (as catchy as it gets. The album that gave Richie´s solo career the definitive push)
- Get Up (taking Change but giving it a more hard rocking edge)

Also, if you want to check out the more "virtuoso" side of Richie, you should check out the 2 albums he did with Greg Howe (Project / Tilt).

The albums I think you can safely miss when discovering Richie are:

- Richie Kotzen
- The Inner Galactic Fusion Experience
- Bi-polar Blues

Just my 2 cents :wink:

_________________
Viva Chile Mierda!

Image Image


Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:10 pm
Profile WWW
Godzilla

Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:45 pm
Posts: 775
Location: America
Post 
The two solo albums of his I have are his self-titled solo album from 1989 and Mother Head's Familiy Reunion.

_________________
"You don't just walk through a neighborhood and see somebody tearing up their own yard with a golf club!"


Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:58 am
Profile
Godzilla
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:25 pm
Posts: 656
Location: Helsinki
Post 
Guitarp77 wrote:
Gringo300 wrote:
I thought I'd already posted in this thread, but I don't see it.

Anyway, I've heard some of Richie Kotzen's music, but there is a lot more I haven't heard as of 4-04-10. I'm planning to change that.


What is interesting about Richie´s catalog is that you can find a lot of different styles of music.

I would recommend, for anyone that is just starting to discover this amazing musician, the following records, where you can see the variety of styles he has recorded (for me, these ones make the "essential" Richie Kotzen catalog):

- Fever´s Dream (80´s glam-hard rock with ferocious guitar playing)
- Mother Head´s Family Reunion (more focused on the song writing than on guitar playing)
- What Is (maybe Richie´s most introspective album. Beautiful to say the least)
- Change (as catchy as it gets. The album that gave Richie´s solo career the definitive push)
- Get Up (taking Change but giving it a more hard rocking edge)

Also, if you want to check out the more "virtuoso" side of Richie, you should check out the 2 albums he did with Greg Howe (Project / Tilt).



Dude, where´s Return of the mother heads family reunion?(or Go Faster as it is entitled in the States)

that´s like the best work he´s done. :)

_________________
SHREDDING ISN`T MUSIC. IT`S AWESOME.


Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:10 pm
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software for PTF.