View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Reb Beach says "Kirk Hammet Sucks".... 
Viking Kong

I have a friend who is acting like a 13 year old fanboy. All he listens is Metallica, and all he talks is Metallica, and his Desktop background is KH, and he's got a KH ESP and he wants to buy a wha!

good lord!

I don't care if the guy's not an awesome guitar player. I like old Metallica. But, as people have said, taking Kirk Hammet and elevating him to a "guitar god" level is ridiculous.

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:09 pm
Profile YIM
Godzilla

In this world you have to play extremely slow, and suck playing live to get famous.
Herman Li... Kirk Hammet... Slash

Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:55 pm
Godzilla

I've just come back from a Winger concert.

:D

Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:43 pm
God Of The Sun

Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:04 pm
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

. Slash

and WOAH!!! careful sonnyjim!!

Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:04 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

^^well I think he fits the band really good. I couldn't imagine Metallica with someone else. With a super precise and clean technique lead guitarist it just wouldn't be the same.

The only problem to me is that there are so many people thinking he is "god" or a "virtuoso" while his playing has many flaws.

Very true. Kirk has proven he has a lot of melodic sense as well. He's perfect for the band, and I bet Kirk don't gives a fuck whether there's one million bedroom shredders better than him, 'cus, really, he's been in Metallica for decades, one of the biggest bands of all time. I mean, how awesome is that? :D

Really digging on Michael Hedges. And Shawn Lane. And Pat Metheny.

Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:05 pm
Godzilla

and how was Reb?

Much goofier than expected. Plagued by mechanical problems. His volume knob came flying off towards the end of the last song and he had to keep changing guitars, including in the middle of Seventeen. I thought the sound in the hall was pretty terrible. Very little definition. Jon Roth's Strat was particularly bad/inaudible. Reb was a bit easier to hear, but he was still far too quiet, especially during his leads. If you could see where the FOH mixer sits in this venue, you'd know why, too... On a traverse above the audience right next to a sheet metal ceiling.

Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:19 pm
is evil...Evil Joe

but legend has it that when Dave was booted out of Metallica Kirk came in and copied his solos note for note

I really think Dave was a great soloist

Well, Kirk was told to learn the solos note for note by the band. He didn't have a choice. And besides thats only on Kill 'Em All (actually Dave also helped write Ride The Lightning (the song not the full album), but the solo on that was Kirk's creation).

Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:47 am
God Of The Sun

:wink:

Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:49 am
Profile WWW
Godzilla

I've heard a rumor that Dave Mustaine's guitar playing is actually on parts of Kill 'Em All, uncredited. I have no idea whether or not there is anything to this.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:33 pm
Godzilla

Wow. Didn't realize Kirk Hammett's reputation over here was so bad.
I think he deserves a lot more credit than you guys are giving him...

I'm not a Metallica hardcore fan... Metallica probably would barely make it to my "Top 10 favorite metal bands" list if I ever was making one... but I still think Kirk Hammett is great, in his own way. I doubt I'd like to hear some other solo over Seek And Destroy, Welcome Home (Sanitarium), Fade To Black, or other Metallica songs with really cool Kirk solos. :?

Funny. Yeah, the solos on the songs you mention there do fit the songs, his touch, intonation and tone are just godawful. Kirks vibrato and bends are horrible, it´s not even a matter of opinion; it´s a fact.

We gotta give him the solo on The Unforgiven tho. That´s a beauty.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:38 pm
Profile WWW
Godzilla

If I was Gringo, I'd now post that The Unforgiven solo was actually recorded by Dann Huff on a Dr. Midnight track-fixing mission from Bob Rock...

Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:35 pm
Dr. X

It's all relative really isn't it? I'd rather listen to a Kirk solo than a Kerry King solo, but that's not to say there ain't a million Slayer fans in the world who would kick my ass for saying so.

Kirk suits Metallica. With the exception of Cliff, James (rhythm playing at least) and now Rob, there hasn't been a member of Metallica who has been on top his game in terms of their instrument, but they create a mighty sound. And although it'd be difficult to learn some of Kirk's solos for how sloppy they are, as opposed to how technical they are, I think they suit most of the songs better than an uber precise shredder. Everything has its place.

But what do I know, I like Load and Reload.

Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:08 pm
Viking Kong

Kirk suits Metallica. With the exception of Cliff, James (rhythm playing at least) and now Rob, there hasn't been a member of Metallica who has been on top his game in terms of their instrument, but they create a mighty sound.

Good point mate. As for that, I would rather listen to ...And Justice For All than ANYTHING Reb Beach ever wrote. :) I'd rather listen to St. Anger than anything Reb wrote as well, I think he's a boring guitarist if you look away from his tapping. Black Magic isn't too shabby tho'! :D

Really digging on Michael Hedges. And Shawn Lane. And Pat Metheny.

Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:14 pm
Dr. X

I agree Samba. I'm a fan of Metallica. They're one of my favourite artists. But I know there are so many guitarists technically better out there. Doesn't mean a thing though. I wouldn't listen to Winger for Reb Beach.

Also, having seen him live with Whitesnake, he's good and all, but Doug Aldrich is so much better. His playing has muchos more cojones. As far as I'm aware, he's credited on the last Whitesnake album, but Doug did all the playing.

Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:32 am
God Of The Sun

I only like one song off Slayer, and that is Raining Blood. No Raining Blood, no Slayer.

Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:27 am
God Of The Sun

Talking about Kerry King.

I only like one song off Slayer, and that is Raining Blood. No Raining Blood, no Slayer.

Same here. I knew i was not alone :P.

Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:08 am
is evil...Evil Joe

I've heard a rumor that Dave Mustaine's guitar playing is actually on parts of Kill 'Em All, uncredited. I have no idea whether or not there is anything to this.

Nope, the only recorded songs that Mustaine performed on was on the No Life 'Til Leather demo, which of course were later re-recorded with Kirk and released on Kill 'Em All. There was also a demo of Ride The Lightning that I heard on youtube with Mustaine singing as well.

A lot of people mistake Metallica's first ever recorded song, "Hit the Lights", which was featured on the Metal Massacre compilation (and of course later on KEA) as being recorded with Mustaine, but it was actually recorded with a guy named Lloyd Grant on lead guitar.

Oh, and the Slayer comment, I kind of agree. I think they have a couple songs that stand out (Dead Skin Mask, Angel of Death, etc.,) but everything else just sounds the same. Plus Kerry King and Jeff Hanneman can't solo for crap.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:08 am
Viking Kong

Booligan wrote:

If I was Gringo, I'd now post that The Unforgiven solo was actually recorded by Dann Huff on a Dr. Midnight track-fixing mission from Bob Rock...

Didn't James Hettfield do that one?

Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:10 am
Godzilla

Gandalf wrote:
Booligan wrote:

Didn't James Hettfield do that one?

Na, he only did Nothing Else Matters.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:25 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next