View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 What is it with these guys? 
Viking Kong

Post What is it with these guys?
Ok, I've got to admit, right off the bat, I'm drunk right now. Rip-roaring! I had fun at a party that I was invited to, and we all had a great time! Drinking, good food, good company, etc. When talking with a few other people at the party, the subject of music came up. One of the observations I made was that some of the music that I like the most (makes a connection with me), happens to be written by gay people!

I.e. The B52's, Dead or Alive, Book of Love, the Indigo girls, etc.

While I live for heavy, bashing, mean music, I have a soft spot in my heart for fun, light, pop music. I happened to note that with much of the music that I love, it happens to be written by people who are gay. It's not a slam, just an observation. These artists made their sexual preference known in the press, one way or another. Common knowledge, so to speak.

While I'm not one to shy away from controversy, or touchy politically correct subjects, some at the party it turns out, were offended at the way the topic was going. I found this perplexing. I was trying to complement a group of people in the entertainment industry, while they may have an alternative lifestyle, seem to have a gift of writing fantastic music! I think this is a good thing!

While society may shun them for one reason, God has touched them for another. To me, this is a gift. I found it ironic, and coincidental that they all happened to be gay, but hey, that doesn't have to be a bad thing. I'm not sure why anyone would take offense to noting this observation, and making it public.

I guess you had to be there.....(God help any of you who are at a party with me :lol: ) but I don't know why anyone would take offense at someone with an alternative lifestyle who happens to have a talent worthy of noting.

Live and let live, I say. If you choose a lifestyle that makes you happy, I may not wish to go that route, but if you do something good worthy of mentioning, I'll give you props.

Is this a bad thing?

Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:24 am
Motorman

While I obviously wasn't there and can't comment on how whatever you said my have come across, I have found that there is no limit to how people can misconstrue whatever one says, maybe because they aren't paying attention, or because they're subconsciously looking to be offended or for an excuse to be indignant. Whatever. It's just a frustrating part of life man, don't worry about it too much.

Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:45 am
Viking Kong

Were those people at the party offended because you were pointing out the fact that these musical artists are gay and those individuals felt it shouldn't matter, or were those people at the party offended because they find homosexuality itself to be offensive?

Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:00 am
Viking Kong

Sounds like these people had the typical "Compensate for the years of persecution endured by a minority by immediately interpreting anything said about that minority as an offense and accusing you of being prejudiced" syndrome.

It works with black people too.

Funny how the people who have this syndrome overcompensate in praises and compliments about the minority they're talking about and fail to realize their over the top behaviour actually shows they're the ones the most prejudiced.

A good way to tell if someone is prejudiced or not:
It's when they're ready to openly discuss their views on minorities without having to be defensive and constantly pat all minorities on the back in fear of being judged by others.

I spur stoic ass juice fossile !

Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:59 am
Viking Kong

LoQ wrote:
Were those people at the party offended because you were pointing out the fact that these musical artists are gay and those individuals felt it shouldn't matter, or were those people at the party offended because they find homosexuality itself to be offensive?
The 1st, I believe.

Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:49 pm
Unt! I'm a Moderator.

Acid pretty much said everything that I wanted to say.

If you change "gay" with hmm "book club" it wouldn't matter all of a sudden :lol:

Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:14 pm
Search Button God!

So, no Elton John fans at that party huh? :wink:

Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:17 pm
Viking Kong

So, no Elton John fans at that party huh? :wink:
Yeah, poor George Michaels got the shaft too.

(Did I say that outloud?) :shock:

Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:49 am
Dr. X

I don't think there's anything bad in what you've pointed out. It's just a coincidence that some of the 80's pop you have a taste for has been written by homosexuals.

I think sometimes it's important to highlight such coincidences as they're often socially relevant. In the 80s, homosexuality was something that was still taboo to an extent, particularly with AIDs coming to the front of the media, being known as the 'Gay' disease. Artists like those you've said broke certain barriers as they had a public campness about them at a time where it may not have been completely socially acceptable, while writing huge hits. Same could be said for Queen and Elton John (the videos for "I want to Break Free" and "I'm Still Standing", anyone?). Stylistically, you probably could draw some parallels from the music, and even with modern music written by gay artists like the Scissor Sisters or Mika. I don't see a problem with highlighting musical trends among subcultures. It's what makes the variety in music so rich.

At the end of the day, one of the biggest musical subcultures of it's time influenced almost all contemporary music... the blues/jazz movement at the cross-over of the 20th Century. Any Musical Anthropologist will tell you this style of music came from African American slaves, and in turn has its own characteristics inherited/defined by those who wrote the music... black people. At the time it was very different to what any white guy was writing I'm sure.

So basically, it's my opinion (and the opinion of scholars whose profession is based in musical culture) that specific genres/styles of songs/music can often be stylistically linked to a particular subculture. Highlighting such a correlation is not a bad thing unless in doing so you have said something derogatory about said subculture.

Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]