View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Can Paul Gilbert play this for the Electric Guitar? Paul??? 
Motorman

Post Can Paul Gilbert play this for the Electric Guitar? Paul???
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-zoGGJc ... re=related

Christopher Parkening is MAD!! INSANE! But I would Loooov if Paul Gilbert could take a stab at this for the electric guitar!! The way the notes and melody are played, reminds me of what Paul Gilbert does so effortlessly with stretches and string skipping....This is TOTAL Paul Gilbert...check out the "changes" and picture Paul Playing it...

C'mon, Paul, do it! Or...can you? LOL
8) 8) 8)

Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:09 am
Viking Kong

You know... I could never figure why Bach guitar pieces sounded boring to my ears, but now I think I understand:

In every Bach guitar piece I hear, it seems Bach has picked a tempo for his song and then constantly plays notes with the same rythmic value (ie only 8th notes, only 16th notes). And I think that's why I never feel great emotions when I hear a Bach piece.

It's almost like listening to a melodic metronome. Never in the song you can hear parts slower, or faster than the rest of the song, it's all "1,2,3,4 1,2,3,4 1,2,3,4" non stop exept maybe for the ends of the songs where Bach figured he'd conclude his piece with two or three big chords.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Bach sucks... There's plenty of non guitar pieces he composed that I like... I just think his guitar pieces are boring.

I spur stoic ass juice fossile !

Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:36 am
Motorman

Hi Acid, I think this was for the Harpsichord, and he trnscribed it..not sure...I see your point, this is the 1st I ever heard this song....I used to lay like this back in '82, then lost it all....not as good, but loved classical, and just lost it.......LOL but Back is insane...LOL can you imagine Back in his day, sort of liekthe "Paul Gilbert" of his generation...LOL

"Hey, check you Backhs latest licks!" Let's jam on the harpsichord!

From 2:50 on, to me, I pictured Paul finishing the song, the way he plays his own Back guitar pieces...I was listening to Paulo today, his classical stuff on guitar, and I started looking onthe wen, and thought I "heard" some Paul Gilbert in there...
:P :lol:

Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:42 am
Viking Kong

[b]Hi Acid, I think this was for the Harpsichord, and he trnscribed it..not sure...

You're right. Bach never composed for the guitar. There are plenty of transcriptions available for his music, however. Not all of them, I'm inclined to believe, are entirely accurate. After all, it's hard to judge Bach's music when we've never actually heard him play it. It's been three-hundred years and I'm thinking that some of the song's dynamic has been lost in the translation.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:04 pm
Superhero

Actually dynamics were added with the invention of the piano forte, as the harpsichord only has one volume. Though he did play in a slight different tuning then we use today.

Alot of Bachs music is more mathematical and about exploring tonality, not so much trying to pull at heart strings. Having said that he has some of the most beautiful music of all IMO, such as "Air" From Suite No. 3 In D, Cantata Chorale No. 10 an from the well tempered clavier book 1, #10 in Em.
and Bachs mastery over counterpoint is just jaw dropping.

"It's all good I know him personally lol. He's a smartass aussie shredder lol"

Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:39 pm
Motorman

and Bachs mastery over counterpoint is just jaw dropping.

This........ in some of his pieces, there are 4 independent melody's if you break them out, but somehow they fit effortlessly when played together. Music in general owes Mr Bach a very big thank you, the man was a genius!

And acid, the emotion comes in the interpretation these days - most of his pieces were written for harpsichord, which as Brono pointed out wasn't able to have a change in volume. A lot of classical guitarist use his work as technique pieces due to their complexity for bass and treble lines - they tend to leave off dynamics due to that very fact. But plenty of artist have interpreted his pieces with flair - Paul is a classic example of someone who has taken multiple Bach pieces and inserted life into them.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:40 am
Motorman

I like how Paul plasys Bach....this would be a great challenge for him to play....again, it looks easy on guitar, until 2:50 on...LOL watch Paul break this song out in the fall of 2010 :lol: I gave up after 45 seconds into it...would take me like 4 months to make a carbon copy, cheap copy of it...taking short cuts.... :D

Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:29 am
Viking Kong

Well... as I said, I still think Bach is great. It's just all these videos with dudes playing some Bach piece on the guitar that I guess I just don't like... it looks extremely difficult, and the guitarists are very talented... but I hear all their efforts sound like a boring fast succession of notes, machine gun style and I think to myself "what a waste of talent".

I personally love shred... but if there isn't a riff or some kind of slower melody along with it I can't enjoy it... Of course I can't equate Bach to shred... but I think the same idea applies here: these songs need some non shredding passages so the listeners can all take a breath or something... it really gets painful to hear. Imho of course...

I spur stoic ass juice fossile !

Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:04 am
Superhero

Heh, from the original link, look what I found...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCfPGkIf ... L&index=13

\o/

Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]